Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For some different news:

Emu On The Run In North Carolina Eludes Captors For More Than 3 Weeks

An emu-at-large is becoming a local celebrity in North Carolina after eluding would-be captors for at least three weeks.

The large flightless bird, a species native to Australia, has been spotted periodically around the state’s Chatham and Orange counties since June 26, according to The News & Observer. It’s unclear exactly where the emu came from, though officials suspect the bird escaped from a farm.

They can be dangerous if cornered or threatened. Still, I want to root for the bird.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
For some different news:

Emu On The Run In North Carolina Eludes Captors For More Than 3 Weeks

An emu-at-large is becoming a local celebrity in North Carolina after eluding would-be captors for at least three weeks.

The large flightless bird, a species native to Australia, has been spotted periodically around the state’s Chatham and Orange counties since June 26, according to The News & Observer. It’s unclear exactly where the emu came from, though officials suspect the bird escaped from a farm.

They can be dangerous if cornered or threatened. Still, I want to root for the bird.
Emus are known to be patriotic. There's one on the Australian Coat-of-Arms. Tame emus are also known for stealing food out of the hands of tourists.

Putting these two facts together, Australian emu hunters discovered long ago that the easiest way to catch an emu is to walk around singing Waltzing Matilda while gently waving a ham-and-cheese sandwich. :rolleyes:

OB

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
This reminds me of the monkey that escaped a research university for several weeks in NC. Someone even made a Twitter account and updated it whenever the animal was spotted. The animal was eventually caught.

Edit:

Here's a link to that story: Cops track escaped monkey in NC town's treetops

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, here's by far the best Animal escape story...
Monkeys use trees to catapault themselves out of Japanese laboratory

However, despite the intelligence shown in their great escape, the primates appeared unsure as to what to do with their newfound freedom: the monkeys remained by the gates of the research centre and were lured back into captivity by scientists armed with peanuts.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's one on the Australian Coat-of-Arms. Tame emus are also known for stealing...
I am not surprised that an animal venerated by a prison colony is a thief.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
:) ahh...but in the American Southwest, the roadrunner is the one who takes on coyotes:

We had walls between houses when I lived in Phoenix and when I first got there, the roadrunners would run along the top of the walls. Then it got too populated.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
:) ahh...but in the American Southwest, the roadrunner is the one who takes on coyotes:

We had walls between houses when I lived in Phoenix and when I first got there, the roadrunners would run along the top of the walls. Then it got too populated.

Ah but that's not totally true is it:

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah but that's not totally true is it:
Where was the video taken? There are emu farms in the US.

Australia has wild dogs but not coyotes or wolves.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where was the video taken? There are emu farms in the US.

Australia has wild dogs but not coyotes or wolves.

Not sure, we have emu farms here in Washington though also. They're all over the place here:) And we have tons of coyotes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They are a funny bird. :p

Unless you're being attacked, apparently they can be dangerous. A friend of mine warned about them, but sure they're cute too even when they're attacking...

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,152.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Emus are known to be patriotic. There's one on the Australian Coat-of-Arms. Tame emus are also known for stealing food out of the hands of tourists.

Putting these two facts together, Australian emu hunters discovered long ago that the easiest way to catch an emu is to walk around singing Waltzing Matilda while gently waving a ham-and-cheese sandwich. :rolleyes:

OB

Sure - the next thing we know, Occams Barber will be talking about drop bears, snakes in the toilet, and the Hawkesbury River Monster.

And if you are going to tempt emus into a trap with a ham and cheese sandwich, you'll need to be able to run pretty fast.

• Haha
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,152.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As it happened, there was an article on the TV news tonight with an emu joining in with a local Parkrun at Nambour behind the Sunshine Coast (5km run - there's quite a number of them). Link refers (unfortunately it will also have other stuff as well, but the top video should be the emu).

Meet Fluffy the Emu who joins locals and tourists on a Parkrun in Nambour

• Winner
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0