Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get it. From the Trump point of view, any admission of error is a mistake. But for anyone with any sense, the willingness to be honest about such things aids one's credibility. When it became known that their source was wrong, they just retracted it. People notice who is willing to do that, and trust them.

As I said, the last WH occupant got fired for not being honest in that way.

one wonders why you cherry pick the things you respond to and completely ignore 90% of the post you are addressing

169010"]Willingness to admit and error AFTER the lie has been exposed nationally is not exactly being credible in my opinion. They had no other choice but print a retraction and attempt to save face. After the egg was all over their face.

We can also note the media that HAS not made retractions, nor have they apologized.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Willingness to admit and error AFTER the lie has been exposed nationally is not exactly being credible in my opinion.

As you know, they made a mistake, and when it became clear it was a mistake, they admitted it and published a retraction. That's how you do it if you want to keep the confidence of readers. Again, I understand that Trump (and apparently many of his supporters) think that it's sign of weakness to admit error. Not a very smart attitude; it's one of the reasons Trump is widely regarded as a habitual liar.

They had no other choice but print a retraction and attempt to save face.

That's pretty much the way to do it. Contrary to the opinion of the extreme right, such an admission is not only doing the right thing, it's also the way to keep the confidence of one's readers.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As you know, they made a mistake, and when it became clear it was a mistake, they admitted it and published a retraction. That's how you do it if you want to keep the confidence of readers.

As you know they have a four to five year record of using unverifiable sources for stories that show the former President in a negative light. Then the TRUTH comes to the public eye and then (and only then), they print a retraction trying to save face.

It amazes me how people can defend organizations that have been lying to us 24/7 for years and they still get a pass on practices that are shown in error time after time after time after time.

Between WAPO, CNN, NBC News, MSNBC, ABC News they lied to us between 250,000 and 400,000 times in four years and people still defend them.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Will CNN, ABC News, NBC News and USA issue a retraction and apologize to Trump.
CNN issued a retraction.
CNN also issued a correction on Monday. Its original story included the same quotes, saying they came from “a source with knowledge of the call”.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...n/news-story/4316de0c552800a040bc59332cd79964

That source was the Deputy Secretary of the State of Georgia. Unfortunately, this was paraphrasing not quoting what was said.

"find fraud' v "find dishonesty"

"be a national hero" v "the most important job in the country right now" and "will be praised"

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As you know they have a four to five year record of using unverifiable sources for stories that show the former President in a negative light.

No, they seem to have gotten him pretty well and very accurately. For the Steele Dossier, for example, they have articles showing what allegations have been checked, and which ones have not.

Perhaps you have some examples?

It amazes me how people can defend organizations that have been lying to us 24/7 for years

The Trump WH does have its defenders, but fewer and fewer as the years went on. But there are still people who will try to sell the idea that Trump isn't a habitual liar.

CNN issued a retraction.
CNN also issued a correction on Monday. Its original story included the same quotes, saying they came from “a source with knowledge of the call”.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...n/news-story/4316de0c552800a040bc59332cd79964

That source was the Deputy Secretary of the State of Georgia. Unfortunately, this was paraphrasing not quoting what was said.

"be a national hero" v "the most important job in the country right now" and "will be praised"

Doesn't seem like it changes much, does it? But sometimes, one has to build one's case on what one has.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CNN issued a retraction.
WaPo admits it used false Trump quotes

You had to go to a source from Australia to find it?

Did CNN in the US issue it, interested to see which of their anchors broadcast it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, they seem to have gotten him pretty well and very accurately. For the Steele Dossier, for example, they have articles showing what allegations have been checked, and which ones have not.

Do they have where Steele himself spoke about it being fictional?

I bet you they didn't.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do they have where Steele himself spoke about it being fictional?

Show us that. Meantime....
Contacts between Trump’s team and Russians

The dossier contains allegations against several of Trump’s campaign officials and associates of having secret contacts with Russians during the campaign. Steele’s raw intelligence reports cited unnamed sources alleging these communications were part of a widespread effort to collude on the election and secure the White House for Trump.

When the memos spilled into public view, Trump and at least five other senior administration officials denied in emphatic and often sweeping terms that anyone involved in the campaign was in contact with Russians. But in the two years since those denials were issued, news reports and court filings revealed that at least 16 Trump associates had contacts with Russians during the campaign or transition.

Russian meddling in the 2016 election
Written in the midst of the campaign, Steele’s memos contained allegations that Russia was waging a broad effort to interfere, and Russian President Vladimir Putin was personally involved in the effort, motivated by his “fear and hatred” of Clinton. That assertion is now accepted as fact by the US intelligence community and Trump’s handpicked intelligence leaders, though Trump himself has refused to unequivocally accept the conclusion that Putin was trying to help him.

The dossier said that the hacks against Democrats, which were publicly released by WikiLeaks during the 2016 campaign, were part of a wider Russian hacking effort. That has since been confirmed in Mueller’s court filings, and last year, the special counsel indicted a dozen Russian intelligence agents in connection with the hacks.
... lots more; go and see for yourself.
Revisiting the Trump-Russia dossier: What's right, wrong and still unclear? - CNN Politics

Did they tell you that most of the dossier has been verified?

I bet you they didn't. Given the facts, it's really of very little use making stories about Steele, isn't it?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did they tell you that most of the dossier has been verified?

British Court Rules Against Steele in Dossier Lawsuit, Orders Ex-Spy To Pay Russian Bankers

A British judge on Wednesday ordered former British spy Christopher Steele to pay damages to two Russian bankers he accused in the infamous Trump dossier of having illicit ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The ruling, handed down by Sir Mark Warby, a justice on the High Court of England and Wales, marks Steele’s first lost in a dossier-related lawsuit.

The bankers sued Steele over a Sept. 14, 2016, memo that the ex-spy compiled as part of an investigation for the Clinton campaign into Donald Trump’s possible ties to the Russian government.

He is getting sued in Europe and losing.

Here is a good source for some also:

Steele says he used unverified information to support details about web company in dossier - CNN Politics

A newly released snippet of a deposition with the ex-British spy behind the Trump-Russia dossier describes some of the steps he took to verify information he collected for it in 2016, including pulling from a user-generated citizen journalism initiative by CNN, iReport, which no longer operates.

Christopher Steele admitted during a lawsuit deposition that he used internet searches and unverified information to support details he had gathered about a web company mentioned in the dossier, according to select pages of his deposition transcript that a federal court unsealed this week.

The news media’s Steele dossier scandal is even worse than you thought

The “primary subsource” for the so-called dossier was suspected once of being a Russian operative and a “threat to national security,” according to newly declassified FBI records.

To put things more clearly: The document the FBI used to secure authorization from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to spy on one-time Trump campaign aide Carter Page is based largely on the say-so of an individual the FBI itself once suspected of being a national security risk.

This revelation comes after the Senate Intelligence Committee reported that the Steele dossier, a deeply flawed piece of opposition research funded by the 2016 Hillary Clinton presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee, likely contains a great deal of Kremlin disinformation.

There ya go - both left and right leaning sources. And on top of that, I actually provided the links to the information.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That quote is from the original article you posted. If that article is good enough for you to quote from why isn't it for me?
WaPo admits it used false Trump quotes

I was not referring to the quote I was not asking about Wa

I was asking about CNN - then ABC News - NBC News et al who broadcast the lie repeatedly for days and days.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was not referring to the quote I was not asking about Wa

I was asking about CNN - then ABC News - NBC News et al who broadcast the lie repeatedly for days and days.
You had to go to a source from Australia to find it?

Did CNN in the US issue it, interested to see which of their anchors broadcast it.
Do you think that CNN in Australia is different than CNN in the US? In that case, you must think WaPo in Australia is different than WaPo in the US?
Why would you quote from WaPo in Australia?

If you want me to believe the rest of your article, which you must, then why are you questioning what WaPo said about CNN?
CNN issued a retraction.

I don't know what CNN anchors said, I don't get the CNN channel.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think that CNN in Australia is different than CNN in the US? I

Absolutely it is. CNN in England is different, CNN in Germany is different. I know that because I’ve watched them.

Same parent company, but their reporting stays in their countries With the exception of major news events. Which this is not.

That is why I asked about a US based CNN report.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely it is. CNN in England is different, CNN in Germany is different. I know that because I’ve watched them.

Same parent company, but their reporting stays in their countries With the exception of major news events. Which this is not.

That is why I asked about a US based CNN report.
The WaPo article was also from Australia. But you're right I can't find where CNN has actually made a retraction. Just this...
Trump phone call: Officials located December recording in a trash folder on Georgia investigator's device - CNNPolitics

• Friendly
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CNN??? LOL who next SNOPES?

Snopes always cites their evidence too. Kind of riles the white nationalists. But as you now see, most of the things in the Steele Dossier have been verified. The supposed paraphilia stuff, not so much.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Snopes always cites their evidence too. Kind of riles the white nationalists. But as you now see, most of the things in the Steele Dossier have been verified. The supposed paraphilia stuff, not so much.

How can you tell when someone is loosing a debate based on facts - pull the white nationalist card and wave it around

The ONLY way I could possibly agree with your assessment of the Steele document's veracity is to completely ignore the court cases he is losing for lying in the dossier, and the number of places shown where his own words bely the weakness and unverifiability of his own work.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How can you tell when someone is loosing a debate based on facts

When they start ignoring the facts and complaining about sources.

pull the white nationalist card and wave it around

I suppose if they didn't act like that, people wouldn't comment on it.
The ONLY way I could possibly agree with your assessment of the Steele document's veracity is to completely ignore the court cases he is losing for lying in the dossier

As you learned, he's been fact checked, and so far, every claim that's been determined, has turned out to be true. Would you like me to show you, again? One example:
At least 16 associates of Donald Trump had contacts with Russians during the 2016 campaign or transition, according to public statements, court filings, CNN reporting, and reporting from other news outlets.

Want to see that?

and the number of places shown where his own words bely the weakness and unverifiability of his own work.

I notice when I suggested you present that evidence, none was forthcoming.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics