• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Washington becomes first state ever to allow human composting

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by redleghunter, May 25, 2019.

1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Gov. Jay Inslee, the Democrat from Washington, signed a bill into law on Tuesday that allows the composting of human bodies as an alternative to burials and cremations.

The Evergreen state is the first state to approve the measure after an earlier trial study that involved six backers who agreed to the organic reduction. The results were positive and the "soil smelled like soil and nothing else."

Troy Hottle, a fellow at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, told The Seattle Times earlier this year that the method is as "close to the natural process of decomposition [as] you’d assume a body would undergo before we had an industrialized society."

Licensed facilities in the state will offer a "natural organic reduction." The body is mixed with substances like wood chips into about two wheelbarrows’ worth of soil in a span of several weeks. Loved ones are allowed to keep the soil to spread, just as they might spread the ashes of someone who has been cremated — or even use it to plant vegetables or a tree.

"It gives meaning and use to what happens to our bodies after death," said Nora Menkin, executive director of the Seattle-based People’s Memorial Association, which helps people plan for funerals.

Washington becomes first state ever to allow human composting

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Danielwright2311

Danielwright2311 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,312
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    I'm going on a diet.

3. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Just rake grandma in the rose bushes. The pagan ethos has captured Washington state.

4. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,020
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Really? I don't see this as being pagan.

5. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Christians bury their dead...We don't fertilize the rose bushes with our loved ones.

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,155
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Honestly, if you're going to have your own vegetable garden and serve some of those vegetables to company or bring in excess vegetables to work, don't have your dead relatives fertilize them. That's just sick.

7. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "Hey Marge your Petunias look great this year!"

"Oh that's thanks to Jim's Aunt Ginny."

8. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+13,789
    Christian
    Married
    I think this is a great idea and I'm at something of a loss to see what's "pagan" about it? :scratch:
    tulc(is honestly not understanding the problem with this) :sorry:

9. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    In the early Church era Christians were singled out for the dignity and respect for the burial of their deceased.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The Roman Emperor Julian, writing in the fourth century, regretted the progress of Christianity because it pulled people away from the Roman gods. He said,

“Atheism [I.e. the Christian faith!] has been specially advanced
    through the loving service rendered to strangers, and through their care for the burial of the dead. It is a scandal that there is not a single Jew who is a beggar, and that the godless Galileans care not only for their own poor but for ours as well; while those who belong to us look in vain for the help that we should render them.”

• List
  11. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,852
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    "Those tomatoes were grown from my aunt" literally! :doh:

12. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,020
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I kind of like the idea of my remains being used to support a garden.

13. tulc

+13,789
    Christian
    Married
    ...I'm sorry, I'm not seeing how pumping your loved one full of chemicals and sticking them in the ground in sealed caskets is more respectful then allowing nature to use what we don't need anymore to put back some of what we took. Can you explain how it's disrespectful to do this? :scratch:
    tulc(still isn't seeing where the problem is) :sorry:

14. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yes. Imago Dei

15. tulc

+13,789
    Christian
    Married
    How human composting works
    could you point out where the "pagan" aspect is in this? Because I'm seriously not understanding how Imago Dei is being offended by this. :scratch:
    tulc(is just trying to understand and not to be offensive) :wave:

16. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Imago Dei is made in the image and likeness of God.

• List
  17. tulc

+13,789
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, I understand that, what I'm not understanding is how letting our bodies do what they're designed to do after we die is somehow offensive to the image of God? See my point? :scratch:
    tulc(is enjoying this conversation a lot) :)

18. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Using other humans as fertilizer in your flowerbeds as a byproduct does violence to the very bodies Christ has purchased with His blood.

Why not just take the next step to Soylent Green.

19. tulc

+13,789
    Christian
    Married
    ...where is that talked about in the OP? My impression was this was all to be done as way of having a funeral the same as being pumped full of chemicals and stuck in the ground or cremated and your ashes spread out. Was there something I didn't see in the OP? :scratch:
    tulc(hopes he didn't miss something) :eek:

20. redleghunter

+29,410
    United States
    Christian
    Married