DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
<sigh>

Really?

There are so many things that don't have an immediate "natural" consequence, especially from the viewpoint of persons inexperienced with life. In some cases, such things have very pleasant immediate "natural" consequences seemingly more desirable anything you can "take away"...until the hammer drops.

Uh yeah, really, but not really in a way too. No I obviously wasn't being for real about washing a kid's mouth out with soap after a tragic death. What I mean is how would washing a kid's mouth out w soap prevent such an accident from happening? I mean you're kinda acting like there's not a million other ways to teach kids right from wrong to help keep them safe w/out hitting them or washing out their mouth.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pain can be a great educator.
Not really. It just taught me to be sneaker. I don't respect the grownup that hurt me. I have other family members all screwed up. Yes they have jobs, but they don't respect their mom. As soon as they became adults, my girl cousin told her never to Hit her again. If she did, she would fight back. They were always scared growing up, when they became teens, they just did things behind their parents back.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
While I did punish my two boys, it was rare. Children that are punished for everything they do I think will rebel as probably most of us have seen happen to some.
So I only punished for really unacceptable things that they said. As I said with dill pickle juice one or two times. That was it. It was to help them learn to control their talk. Which it did work to do. I had 1st asked them not to talk that way and they continued.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pain can be a great educator.

If you are talking about spanking it gets the point across. But soap in the mouth, it can no be considered by the PC police as "child abuse". Having undergone so many "soap in the mouth experiences" supported the Ivory Soap manufacturers, by increasing their sales, I will never again buy a bar of Ivory soap. I can't stand the smell. My parents were excessive in this as punissment.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Forcibly washing a child's mouth out with soap is downright abusive. Sorry. What a horrible thing to do to a child. Teach the child and provide boundaries and appropriate consequences so that it can learn. Don't punish it with cruelty and leave it's heart broken and bitter. The world is harsh enough, they don't need harsh parents.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When my kids were young they fought over who got to drink the pickle juice. Dill was a favorite (especially the boy).
They saw their grandad chug it down ever chance he got so they had to have it too.
I loved to drink pickle juice too.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟321,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are talking about spanking it gets the point across.
I've always seen kids do the same wrong thing. After getting a spanking.
But soap in the mouth, it can no be considered by the PC police as "child abuse".
I think many people do this and don't get into trouble. Are you sure your not talking about the few cases, that made news because a parent went to far . Because they used to much soap.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟450,855.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I put hot sauce in one of my kid's mouth when he was younger. Turns out he loved it! Do it again, ma! :doh: But I have done the whole "I'm gonna wash your mouth out with soap!" routine and you know what? It just made my kids curious enough that they went and did it themselves! Came back with apologies and lessons learned! I have weird kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums