Chicago
✟22,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I pray before reading scripture, thanking God and asking him to guide me. I had a strong feeling to read the scriptures about the book of life. During that time I felt a feeling like an energizing wave flowing throughout my body and it was a good feeling. Sounds similar to how people feel rushing waters.

I thanked God once more before I went to bed, and I no longer have any sinful desires. I feel changed for the better. The thoughts of sinning are absent in my mind, before it used to be there and I would have to make a decision.

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thanked God once more before I went to bed, and I no longer have any sinful desires. I feel changed for the better. The thoughts of sinning are absent in my mind, before it used to be there and I would have to make a decision.
Don't be surprised if the desires and temptations come back and you must continue to decide against them; they are apart of our nature until we die and are with the Lord.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
This is more common in the New Testament Ekklesia (born again ones called and chosen and set aside by Yahweh for Himself, buried in immersion in Jesus Name and raised up out of the water in resurrection LIFE ! ) than most people realize or ever comprehend ! YES ! Read and verify throughout the New Testament as Yahweh guides you,
and realize this is daily continuing experience for believers in Christ Jesus, but not so often experienced because of bad company. ("bad company corrupts good morals" ) ..

Temptations may come every day, even traps laid against us in the house of Yahweh !
Fiery trials - expect.
But with joy, peace , understanding, wisdom and righteousness (Jesus is all in all for us) .

Do not give in to temptations, instead, resist the devil and he will flee.

The thoughts of sinning are absent in my mind,

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Don't be surprised if the desires and temptations come back and you must continue to decide against them; they are apart of our nature until we die and are with the Lord.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Why take a scripture regarding the flesh BEFORE receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit and apply it to us? It sounds to me like @Milos received the Holy Spirit, or a refilling if he's had it before. Because the desire to sin left him, it sounds like God placed His seed in him and now 1 John 3:9 is applicable, more than Matthew 26:41.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do not give in to temptations, instead, resist the devil and he will flee.

Yes, God always provides a way of escape. And those who have been baptized with the Holy Spirit and have His seed in them, find temptations easy to resist.

Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why take a scripture regarding the flesh BEFORE receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit and apply it to us? It sounds to me like @Milos received the Holy Spirit, or a refilling if he's had it before. Because the desire to sin left him, it sounds like God placed His seed in him and now 1 John 3:9 is applicable, more than Matthew 26:41.
Proverbs 20:9 "Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?"

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Proverbs 20:9 "Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?"

Again, a Proverb from BEFORE the Holy Spirit. :doh:

Does anyone on this forum know what Jesus meant in Acts 1:8 "you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you"

Was that only for the apostles, and the rest of us are still in our sins? Was the gospel only to the apostles? What was the good news? That we are still slaves to sin? Was that why Jesus came? Just to take our punishment for sins we have no power over so keep committing?

Hint:
Romans 6:2; 1 John 3:5-9; Romans 8:1-9; Daniel 9:24

I've heard some on here say that we will be ruled by the flesh until we die so we will always sin. Really? Don't they know that the condition they die in, is the condition they will remain in heaven, or in hell? Revelation 22:11.

work out your own salvation with fear and trembling Philippians 2:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟480,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again, a Proverb from BEFORE the Holy Spirit. :doh:

Does anyone on this forum know what Jesus meant in Acts 1:8 "you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you"

Was that only for the apostles, and the rest of us are still in our sins? Was the gospel only to the apostles? What was the good news? That we are still slaves to sin? Was that why Jesus came? Just to take our punishment for sins we have no power over so keep committing?

Hint:
Romans 6:2; 1 John 3:5-9; Romans 8:1-9; Daniel 9:24

I've heard some on here say that we will be ruled by the flesh until we die so we will always sin. Really? Don't they know that the condition they die in, is the condition they will remain in heaven, or in hell? Revelation 22:11.

work out your own salvation with fear and trembling Philippians 2:12
Here's the problem with what you're saying. Paul himself said that his flesh was still sinful, even after he was saved and working as an apostle - Romans 7:25 "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." He is writing this WHILE he is an apostle for the Lord Jesus Christ; he himself said that he was still serving sin in his flesh, and the entire 7th chapter of Romans is about how he doesn't do that which he knows is right, or that which he shouldn't do, he does that instead, and that because of the law of God, sin has become extremely sinful in that we have knowledge of sin through the law. He says that he is wretched (present tense while being an apostle) because he cannot break free of sin in his flesh, but concludes by saying that he serves the law of God through Christ on his inward man, but on the outward man, still sins.

What about the carnal Christians of 1 Corinthians 3? 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?" These are saved men and women he's writing to, and he accuses them of still being carnal (being full of sin) EVEN AFTER THEY'RE SAVED AND RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT.

What about David after he murdered and committed adultery? He was saved prior to that (evident by the fact that the Lord caused him to defeat Goliath as a child); what about the fact that Abraham lied to the Egyptians about his wife being his sister? Abraham was saved but still sinned that sin. Solomon was saved, but turned to worshipping other gods and goddesses, and committed rampant fornication with women; what about Solomon? What about Simon the Sorcerer in Acts 8:9-25 when he got saved and THEN tried to buy the ability to give the Holy Spirit to anyone he wished, and Peter rebuked him for that wicked sin? What about when Paul rebuked Peter for misleading the flock about Christian liberty? Was Peter not saved at that point?

You have no leg to stand on when it comes to all these examples of SAVED people committing sin after their salvation, and yet you based your entire theology off of one misconstrued scripture, which is this: 1 John 5:13 "We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not." But it doesn't mean as in a person ceases from all transgression of law (1 John 3:4); it rather means that a person hasn't committed the sin of unbelief, because they have been reproved of that by the Spirit of God (John 16:8-9) because they have been sealed by it through faith (Ephesians 1:13, Ephesians 4:30). The only sin the Spirit reproves a person of is the sin of unbelief according to John 16:8-9, because unbelief is the unforgivable sin (blaspheming the Spirit by rejecting his witness of Jesus Christ, thereby calling God a liar according to 1 John 5:10-12).

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Here's the problem with what you're saying. Paul himself said that his flesh was still sinful, even after he was saved and working as an apostle - Romans 7:25 "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." He is writing this WHILE he is an apostle for the Lord Jesus Christ; he himself said that he was still serving sin in his flesh, and the entire 7th chapter of Romans is about how he doesn't do that which he knows is right, or that which he shouldn't do, he does that instead, and that because of the law of God, sin has become extremely sinful in that we have knowledge of sin through the law. He says that he is wretched (present tense while being an apostle) because he cannot break free of sin in his flesh, but concludes by saying that he serves the law of God through Christ on his inward man, but on the outward man, still sins.

Most people in certain denominations who believe Romans 7 is about the Christian life, have not understood it in context. They zero in on verse 14 as a starting place, when 7 is the context that it is about sin. Seeing as Jesus was manifest to TAKE AWAY OUR SIN, and in Him there is no sin 1 John 3:5, it is not about the Christian life, but about the life of one who was still under the law of sin and death prior to life in the Spirit. It is mainly people in denominations affected by the Reformation that do not accept this truth John speaks of. Jude speaks against their ancestors of their belief as turning the grace of God into licentiousness. I would think Jude would say to RUN AWAY from those false doctrines of apathy toward sin, and who don't even believe they can be free. It is Satan that wants a person to be slaves of sin, and even though it is a fact that the desire to sin is gone when the Holy Spirit enters us, we must also believe this truth with our mind. Therefore, reckon yourself dead to sin, which is telling yourself the truth. Believing a lie will cripple a person's faith.

Those under the law could still sin because the law was weak as it did nothing about changing our inner man. Paul could relate to the feeling because he had been a Pharisee and knew the law inside out. Don't be fooled because it is present tense. That is a Semitic writing style we westerners are not used to. John did the same thing in 1 John 1:8, but both passages are about someone BEFORE Christ. Paul and John wrote in the present tense because they were Hebrews who always wrote that way, but by the context we know that 1 John 1:9 must be read with verse 8 to be saved; and Romans 7 must start at verse 7 (never 14) to know Paul is talking about those still in sin under the law before Christ. Did you not see his question? "Who can save him" he asks? The answer is Jesus. So if He is the answer to the problem, how can life in Him be the problem? It is not even logical.

Then he goes on to chapter 8 about the difference between the law and the Spirit.

Here is what most miss when reading Romans 7. It is about those still in sin. Who saves us from sin? The law, or Jesus? The law only showed us our sin causing the battle of knowing the law, and having no power to not sin. The Holy Spirit is where power comes from. And Jesus only gives those this power AFTER they have repented. Acts 2:38

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. 13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.

Now the contrast - chapter 8:1-9 (NKJV)

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Now can you see that to believe we will always sin and there is no escape in this lifetime, only after, is being carnally minded? Shake off the lie and become spiritually minded.

This is why Romans 6 says we are dead to sin. Was Paul saying, everyone, but him? And the Spirit is the reason why John says in 1 John 3:9 "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." Ask yourself, does a person who has been cleansed of ALL sin, still have sin? Therefore, 1 John 1:8 is not about the person in 1 John 3:9.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What about when Paul rebuked Peter for misleading the flock about Christian liberty? Was Peter not saved at that point?

There are two types of sins. Willful, and unintentional called trespasses. I don't see Peter committing a willful sin. I see him as between a rock and a hard place. Here he is trying to win close-minded Jews, and Paul rebukes him for seemingly taking the side of these Jews, after he had already eaten with Gentiles. I see Peter as spending time with both. It is funny that Paul did the same thing by taking a Jewish vow. I can also see Paul's side because those Jews were trying to get the Gentiles to be like them, and undoing all Paul's work. But those Jews needed saving too. So what to do? Peter did the best he could, and Paul's reaction was also understandable. Nobody sinned.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What about the carnal Christians of 1 Corinthians 3? 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?" These are saved men and women he's writing to, and he accuses them of still being carnal (being full of sin) EVEN AFTER THEY'RE SAVED AND RECEIVED THE HOLY SPIRIT.

All I can say is John 15. Paul is cutting the dead twigs off the live branches. Pruning is painful, but the fruit will be larger. If sin didn't matter, and if immature dead twigs didn't matter, Paul wouldn't be fighting against them. What I find strange is people believing what Paul stated as fact didn't apply to himself about being dead to sin. o_O

Don't be on the side of settling for a lukewarm Christianity. I'm afraid that is what I see in your post. If that is the belief of your denomination, RUN! Jesus said, "Be perfect, as my Father in heaven is perfect." That is the goal Paul strived for, the race he ran.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I pray before reading scripture, thanking God and asking him to guide me. I had a strong feeling to read the scriptures about the book of life. During that time I felt a feeling like an energizing wave flowing throughout my body and it was a good feeling. Sounds similar to how people feel rushing waters.

Most important: do not trust nor follow 'feelings' nor emotions..... as both feelings and emotions are very commonly 'wrong'.....

Remember Jesus says to His disciples He will never forsake them nor leave them even to the end of the world...... we can trust Jesus to honor His Word. (with no regard at all for emotions or feelings)

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Most important: do not trust nor follow 'feelings' nor emotions..... as both feelings and emotions are very commonly 'wrong'.....
That's what I have been taught as well. In fact I have voiced things similar in the forums. A few people have tried to counter that but not too many. I was taught of an order to understanding, with revelations ( teachings or news if you will) from scripture being most reliable to emotion being least reliable. Experiences are in between. Some people live to feel something from God. You're lucky, chosen even if you do but be careful that it's really from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Were you arguing against the op or against someone else ?
(I didn't see any argument; just edifying Scripture you posted , and others)

This thread was not meant for an argument, so no, I won't participate any further.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Yes... that was definitely the Holy Spirit moving in your life in a new way.

Upvote 0