Was the Lord's supper Passover?

C

cupid dave

:clap:

Yes, Cupid. The third cup. Glad to see you absorbing some of this, finally.

Jesus ritualized the Eucharist during the traditional order of events called "the third cup."

Then, he said:
Luke 22:17
And he took the (Elijah) cup, (which is filled at this time in the service) and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

Upvote 0
H

Huram Abi

Jesus ritualized the Eucharist during the traditional order of events called "the third cup."

Then, he said:
And he took the (Elijah) cup, (which is filled at this time in the service) and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:

No, they were still eating. They hadn't even performed the 4th sedar.

Furthermore, you already know that during the Birkat Hamazon that the third cup is passed around.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There was no lamb eaten and the bread was “sopped” during the meal which suggested that it was leavened bread... so that lends itself to being a "teaching seder"
Hey Vis, where does it say that the bread was 'sopped'. Sop means a bit or a morsel, a small piece of something.

And it seems this word is only found in John's gospel.

The only place that the word bread is translated in that whole chapter is here

18:I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen : but that the scripture may be fulfilled , He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

And the Greek word used does not only mean something made with flour and water, but it can mean food in general.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Dip and sop... both is bread and not unleavened bread which can not handle dipping or sopping.
A sop is a piece of bread soaked in a liquid.
SOP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/SOP

Matthew 26:23
Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.

Mark 14:20
“It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me.

John 13:26
Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know which translation you have for John 13:26 but the word bread is added in there. I've read it in Greek and it only says morsel. I checked on the Mark version and bread is added in there as well.

embaptomenos

one-IN-DIPPING

eis

INTO

THE
trublion

DISH
20 And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
There was no lamb eaten and the bread was “sopped” during the meal which suggested that it was leavened bread... so that lends itself to being a "teaching seder"

I agree, because it was before the leavened bread and yeast was removed on Preparation Day. They broke bread, not crackers or wafers.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will have you know, though, that I dip matsah in the matsah ball soup every year - did it last night, in fact. It does get sopped and smooshy. I don't know what you're talking about.
Are you saying that 'sop' does not mean morsel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Dip and sop... both is bread and not unleavened bread which can not handle dipping or sopping.
sop

Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.

“It is one of the Twelve,” he replied, “one who dips bread into the bowl with me.

Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.

Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

I believe the original Greek does not use the word azymous (unleavened). Arton is used which is regular bread like used on Shabbat. Shalom

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mishkan

There's room for YOU in the Mishkan!
Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry to be late to the party.

I think we are mistaken if we picture Yeshua with a Hawaian butter roll, sopping up the last of the biscuits and gravy.

In the context of Passover practice and symbolism, Yeshua would be handling a "Hillel sandwich", consisting of matzah, maror, and charoset.

John 13:18 is completely irrelevant to interpreting what was going on, as it is a quotation from 1,000 years prior. The purpose of the quotation is to identify Judah as a false brother, not to define what sort of bread was being used at a seder.

sop

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic

Then, he said:
And he took the
(Elijah) cup, (which is filled at this time in the service) and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
Chock chock.. sputter... gag.. cough cough...I can't swallow that.

Reactions: mishkan
Upvote 0