Was the Iraq War justified?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have researched about this topic (ie, the Christian perspective of the Iraq War), and I have found articles which say that the Iraq War was a just war, but I have also found other articles written by Christians who believe that the Iraq War was wrong.

What's your perspective on this issue?

• Haha
Reactions: not-a-muslim

FreeSlave

Feb 27, 2013
USA
✟15,232.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From a christian perspective the Iraq war was vary bad because Christianity in Iraq dropped from 1.5 million to just over 200 thousand after the war.

From my personal view the Iraq war was wrong because Iraq was not a threat to us like Iran is today but because of Iraq America will not support another major war in the middle east till there is another 9 11.

• Haha
Reactions: not-a-muslim
Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. It was totally based on LIES! Shrub's insistence that there were WMD in Iraq was based on lies. I saw it as it was happening and knew it would end up being another VietNam. Lots of lives destroyed for no good reason at all.

My son is one of the ones paying the price...

Upvote 0

LBP

GONE
Apr 5, 2010
✟910.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have researched about this topic (ie, the Christian perspective of the Iraq War), and I have found articles which say that the Iraq War was a just war, but I have also found other articles written by Christians who believe that the Iraq War was wrong.

What's your perspective on this issue?

The "Christian" perspective in support of the war is that of the right-wing "Christians" whose "Christianity" is little more than hawkish American nationalism masquerading as religion and who have substituted worship of the American military (and its corporate suppliers) for worship of God. To anyone with even a modicum of understanding of Jesus and his teachings, the war was an is an abomination whose negative repercussions for America and Iraq will haunt both countries for decades.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only possible justification for any soldier is the cause he fights for. We were/are in Iraq because Saddam Hussein was undercutting the price for oil set by the cartel.

There were no weapons of mass destruction, the original justification for the war. American foreign policy in the Middle East is based on protecting the oil supply and the prices set by the oil cartel.

Can economics of this sort justify war, with all the evils it always generates?

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Millions of refugees.

Millions of orphans.

Over hundred thousand deaths.

Widespread sectarian violence have ripped civil order apart.

Al-Qaida has new fertile soil to sow more anti American hate.

Saddam Hussain was a lot of things but he didn't have WMDs nor did his country harbor al-Qaida cells.

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Iraq invaded Kuwait, so Bush 1 said we would help and we would not stop until we had Saddam who was like a little Hitler. After the 3 day ground war, Bush stopped the attack and went back on his word to get Saddam. Saddam went for yrs more playing his games. The WMD was a lie, but it was a lie Saddam created, I believe he did this because if he could bluff the U.S. we would be afraid to attack. Bush and the (R) believed Saddams lie of WMD, Clinton and the (D) believed it also. Bush 2 decided enough was enough and did what his Dad refused to do, and thats go get Saddam....and try and bring peace. But its a mess, and will continue that way. But I'm not in charge, but I wish we would of done the job the first time, got rid of Saddam and then get out, and stay out. Those people have been hating and fighting each other since the beginning of time, it will stay that way till Kingdom come.

Upvote 0

andy b

Site Supporter
Nov 9, 2013
uk
✟75,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
100% wrong you can also throw the insane war on terror in Afghanistan into the mix ..its all about oil and money nothing else....terrorists in Afghanistan are you kidding there all from saudi arabia but we are not invading them......crazy...there are more Muslim terrorists claiming benefits living in London than there is in Pakistan and Afghanistan put together.Bush blair ETC SHOULD BE JAILED ....now because of there actions christians are being persecuted in these areas while these guys swan about in there private jets

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
AvilaSurfer said:
American forces liberated 25 million people so they could kill each other at their leisure, instead of leaving the job to one madman.
Who gives us the right to "liberate."

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Iraq was wrong for many reasons but you and the other soldiers deserve respect and gratitiude.
Why do they deserve respect and gratitude?
The only justification a soldier can possibly offer for being a paid professional killer, would be the cause for which he fights.
For instance: The Union soldier in the American Civil War helped bring about the end of chattel slavery. The Confederate fought to preserve and extend slavery.
In some wars there might be no "right" side. The Iraq war was fought on the US side by mercenaries to support the price of oil set by the cartel, which Saddam Hussein was undercutting.
You know, of course, that until Constantine made Christianity the state religion of Rome, soldiers could not be baptized as Christians, and Christians would refuse military service, which was one reason why the Roman government never recognized Christians, as they did the Jews.
Now, of course, most Christians have become reconciled to military adventures, because war is good for business.

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
American forces liberated 25 million people so they could kill each other at their leisure, instead of leaving the job to one madman.

I was in Iraq helping to "liberate", and that is an obscene use of the word liberate. There was as much fear of Amerikan soldiers in the populations as there had been of the former dictator. Liberation is not justification for a war, in fact there is no justification for war, it is unfortunate that in my youth I did not understand that, although the experience helped me come to that conclusion, along with the word of God.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do they deserve respect and gratitude?
The only justification a soldier can possibly offer for being a paid professional killer, would be the cause for which he fights.
For instance: The Union soldier in the American Civil War helped bring about the end of chattel slavery. The Confederate fought to preserve and extend slavery.
In some wars there might be no "right" side. The Iraq war was fought on the US side by mercenaries to support the price of oil set by the cartel, which Saddam Hussein was undercutting.
You know, of course, that until Constantine made Christianity the state religion of Rome, soldiers could not be baptized as Christians, and Christians would refuse military service, which was one reason why the Roman government never recognized Christians, as they did the Jews.
Now, of course, most Christians have become reconciled to military adventures, because war is good for business.

:wave:
This attitude makes me sick. Anyone who gives service to this country deserves respect no matter our personal views.

Upvote 0

mafwons

Hi guys
Feb 16, 2014
✟11,177.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This attitude makes me sick. Anyone who gives service to this country deserves respect no matter our personal views.

I agree not because the cause is just but because soldiers are doing their duty, I would however caution Christians against joining the military as they might find themselves in a situation that conflicts with their beliefs.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right! The guards at Auschwitz deserve our respect because they were serving their country. The soldiers who marched into Poland deserve our respect because they were obeying the country's leader. The soldiers who invaded Iraq deserve our respect because they were protecting the profits of the oil cartel.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." -- Matthew 6:24

The stench of hypocrisy around religious and patriotic persons can be nauseating.

:doh:

Upvote 0