Was the garden of Eden, created or planted?

PesachPup

Feb 19, 2018
Puxico
✟29,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*[[Gen 2:5]] KJV* And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field BEFORE IT GREW: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

ANOTHER:

*[[Gen 2:8]] KJV* And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Does it not say here that the garden was "planted" AFTER he created man?

And finally:

*[[Gen 2:9]] KJV* And OUT OF THE GROUND made the LORD God to grow EVERY tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the TREE OF LIFE ALSO in the midst of the garden, AND the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE of good and evil.

This verse seems to say that the two "sacred" trees were also planted. That would seem to point to no fruit being produced for at least several years. But the initial point is that there were three essential components to making the garden grow.
1. It was planted from seeds after the creation of Adam.
2. It did not have rain to grow. Only a mist.
3. Man was created to be the tiller of the garden... to help it grow.

The typical knee jerk reaction is that God created the garden in a "pristine" state. Man did not live very long, very short assumption of fact, until he sinned.

4. *[[Gen 4:14]] KJV* Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

This would also seem to concur, that Cain, as an adult, was forbidden access to the "face" of God. Would this not be banishment from the garden? BEFORE ADAMS TRANSGRESSION OF THE FALL?
Gen 5 says this:

*[[Gen 5:1]] KJV* This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

And as most all are aware, it begins with the birth of Seth, 130 years later. Eve did not get her name UNTIL the fall:

*[[Gen 3:13]] KJV* And the LORD God said unto the WOMAN, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

God addressed her only as "the woman", nameless. But then we find this:

*[[Gen 3:20]] KJV* And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the MOTHER OF ALL LIVING.

Her sin/ his transgression, caused death to come upon every living creature. Everything that now lives, DIES. So, this suggests that Eve is named BECAUSE of the fall. Notice how the "generations of Adam" are structured. Abc, lived X years, begat "DEF", lived after he begat... and died. Etc., etc. The "starting" point seems to indicate that it was the initiation of death. Making Seth, being the first born after the fall, 130 years later. After all, it says Adam "lived" 930 years. And then he died. The scriptures are clear, tha Seth was born after Cain and Abel. Death didn't start working in his(adams) members, until the fall. This would seem to put a cloud over any theoretical date of creation. Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in a young earth. But this is besides that point.
The PuP

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "whole earth" was eventually watered by rainfall, but the garden, which was a separate place, was watered by the "rivers". Also the word "planted" was only applied to the "garden" which is described apart from the trees, which God "caused" to grow out of the ground. The word "planted" can also be translated as "established", which can refer to any number of ways God brings something into being.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
*[[Gen 2:5]] KJV* And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field BEFORE IT GREW: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

ANOTHER:

*[[Gen 2:8]] KJV* And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

And finally:

*[[Gen 2:9]] KJV* And OUT OF THE GROUND made the LORD God to grow EVERY tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the TREE OF LIFE ALSO in the midst of the garden, AND the TREE OF KNOWLEDGE of good and evil.

This verse seems to say that the two "sacred" trees were also planted. That would seem to point to no fruit being produced for at least several years. But the initial point is that there were three essential components to making the garden grow.
1. It was planted from seeds after the creation of Adam.
2. It did not have rain to grow. Only a mist.
3. Man was created to be the tiller of the garden... to help it grow.

The typical knee jerk reaction is that God created the garden in a "pristine" state. Man did not live very long, very short assumption of fact, until he sinned.

4. *[[Gen 4:14]] KJV* Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

This would also seem to concur, that Cain, as an adult, was forbidden access to the "face" of God. Would this not be banishment from the garden? BEFORE ADAMS TRANSGRESSION OF THE FALL?
Gen 5 says this:

*[[Gen 5:1]] KJV* This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

And as most all are aware, it begins with the birth of Seth, 130 years later. Eve did not get her name UNTIL the fall:

*[[Gen 3:13]] KJV* And the LORD God said unto the WOMAN, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

God addressed her only as "the woman", nameless. But then we find this:

*[[Gen 3:20]] KJV* And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the MOTHER OF ALL LIVING.

Her sin/ his transgression, caused death to come upon every living creature. Everything that now lives, DIES. So, this suggests that Eve is named BECAUSE of the fall. Notice how the "generations of Adam" are structured. Abc, lived X years, begat "DEF", lived after he begat... and died. Etc., etc. The "starting" point seems to indicate that it was the initiation of death. Making Seth, being the first born after the fall, 130 years later. After all, it says Adam "lived" 930 years. And then he died. The scriptures are clear, tha Seth was born after Cain and Abel. Death didn't start working in his(adams) members, until the fall. This would seem to put a cloud over any theoretical date of creation. Don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer in a young earth. But this is besides that point.
The PuP
Or is the Garden of Eden an analogy?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is called the Neolithic Revolution and Science has put a lot of work into understanding how wild plants became domesticated. This is known as the Botany of Ancient Plants in the Middle East. All of the plants we read about in the Bible: Grapes, Figs, Olives, Rye, Wheat and so on. There is a reason why science uses words like Adam, Eve & Eden. Not only do we have the domestication of plants we also have the beginning of Animal Husbandry. Adam and Eve had two sons. One took care of the animals and the other tended to the plants. If it were not for Noah that entire bio diverse Eco system would have been lost. Science has put a lot of work into trying to figure out how farming spread from the Middle East to Europe and the rest of the World.

Ancient man would gather seeds and throw them in the mud in the spring. Adam was the first to cultivate the plants and till the ground. Genesis 2:5 "Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground."

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi pesachpup,

I believe the Scriptures. The garden was planted. However, I also know that the word planted doesn't strictly refer to putting seed in the ground. If you've ever done any landscaping you probably know that a lot of times plants are 'planted' that are fully grown. Small trees are already 8' tall when they are planted into a new landscape design and shrubs and bushes are already fairly well filled out. But all of them were 'planted'.

So, if your purpose in asking your question is concerning whether God had to wait for the garden to grow and mature before he placed Adam and then Eve into it, I'd say no. Of course, I think it also worth considering that when God's word says 'planted' it doesn't mean that one would have seen some shovel handled by angels or an invisible hand digging a hole in the earth in which to put the root ball of a mature plant. When God 'plants' plants, He just speaks and suddenly there is a tree standing in one's path. Immediately there are shrubs and flowering plants that are full grown with even fruits and flowers already upon their branches.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0