• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Was the Crucifixion really on a Friday?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by cfposter, Jun 13, 2021.

1. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Says FORBIDDEN for me.

2. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    It's very relevant what we call the days of the week. And it is very relevant what the Jews called the days of the week and what historians called the days of the week. I suggest you read the Title of this thread and look over the OP.

3. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,314
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
  4. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,314
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Okay, let's try that then.

Here are the days of the week, numerically:

1. First Day
    2. Second Day
    3. Third Day
    4. Fourth Day
    5. Fifth Day
    6. Sixth Day
    7. Seventh Day

Here are those same days, now using Hebrew names for those seven days:

1. Yom Rishon
    2. Yom Sheni
    3. Yom Shlishi
    4. Yom Revi'i
    5. Yom Chamishi
    6. Yom Shishi
    7. Yom Shabbat

Here are those same days, now as the ancient Greeks called them,

1. Hemera Heliou
    2. Hemera Selenes
    3. Hemera Areos
    4. Hemera Hermou
    5. Hemera Dios
    6. Hemera Aphrodites
    7. Hemera Kronou

Here are those same days, now as the ancient Romans called them,

1. dies Solis
    2. dies Lunae
    3. dies Martis
    4. dies Mercurii
    5. dies Iovis
    6. dies Veneris
    7. dies Saturni

Here are those same days, now as the Anglo-Saxons called them,

1. Sunnandæg
    2. Monandæg
    3. Tiwesdæg
    4. Wodnesdæg
    5. Þunresdæg
    6. Frigedæg
    7. Sæternesdæg

Here are those same days, now as modern English-speakers call them,

1. Sunday
    2. Monday
    3. Tuesday
    4. Wednesday
    5. Thursday
    6. Friday
    7. Saturday

Other than what they are called, depending on language, what's the difference between Yom Rishon, Sunnandæg, and the 1st day of the week? Name a difference, name any difference whatsoever.

If a German calls my dog a hund, tell me, are they wrong?

-CryptoLutheran

5. klutedavid

klutedavid Well-Known Member

+3,638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Well I will accept that as Philo was older than the apostles. Philo lived in the same era as Jesus. Philo also visited the second temple in Jerusalem. Interesting that he says, 'the seventh day of the week he has assigned the greatest festivals'.

Does that then mean that the dates 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th, are Sabbaths based on the Lunar calendar?

6. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
  7. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Those questions are not of concern to me at this point. AGAIN, I would point you to the Topic of this forum, it should be pretty clear from there that I referring to the day of "Friday". And I'm obviously interested more in the terms used in the Bible such as the ordinals of 1 - 7th day as well as the ordinals for days of the year or month.

8. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Yes, that is correct. Every 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th day is a Sabbath. The first day of a month is the New Moon. Once you know this and know when to look for the days based on the moon, it become much easier to rule out certain days claimed as the Crucifixion because they wont fit the criteria. You can pretty much be assured that anyone that doesn't see that the Jew used a Lunar Calendar for their feast days and sabbaths are going to be flawed in their reasoning going forward with respect to timelines relative to this topic.

9. klutedavid

+3,638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I was already aware of the Lunar calendar but was unsure whether the day count was from the new moon.

I know that in the book of Samuel there are two occurrences to a day count from the new moon. But Philo seems to have answered that question.

10. klutedavid

+3,638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Why is this lunar calendar almost invisible in the scripture. Not many people would be aware of this calendar in the Old Testament.

11. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Glad to see you get it. Good to know someone else in this thread can see it. But the usual trend evolves after you know this such as when does a year actually start. Those is still a gray area but for me it has become less gray lately.

12. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Good question. Maybe it was something so obvious that people didn't think it needed explanation because they didn't expect that people like us would be in need to ask such questions. Or maybe it was a crime or offense at some point to impose the idea that a Lunar Calendar could/should be used to track these events. I really don't know but your right, it seems interesting that is isn't more clear in the Bible itself.

13. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,837
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I try to avoid understanding scripture through the lens of Hellenistic philosophy.

14. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,837
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    I wrote down their positions as he showed them to me, and I wrote down their months as they were, and the appearance of their lights till fifteen days were accomplished.

When does the light of the new moon appear?

3. In single seventh parts she accomplishes all her light in the east, and in single seventh parts accomplishes all her darkness in the west.

Why does the moon's light precede the moon's darkness?

15. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,722
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It is in scripture...

16. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,722
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

17. Davy

Davy Well-Known Member Supporter

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  18. Davy

Davy Well-Known Member Supporter

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  19. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    That is not a refutation to the accuracy of Philo's statements regarding the observance of the Feast Days and the Sabbaths.

20. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    A new moon doesn't have light. The "NEW" Phase of a moon is on the second day of the month when the first sliver is seen.

So it takes 15 days of a month to reach a FULL MOON. and then recedes in 14 days giving you 29 days from a counting standpoint of a month. Therefore, every month only has 4 weeks in it. Why is this important? - consider when you have to count the omer. You don't count the non weekdays in between the months such as the new moon day. So when the scriptures say to count 7 complete weeks, it doesn't mean count 49 days and then one more for 50 days consecutively. But rather it means count 7 LUNAR weeks and then one more day for 50 days. This will result in MORE than 50 days consecutively.