• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Was the Crucifixion really on a Friday?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by cfposter, Jun 13, 2021.

1. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I think you need to look up the origin of the modern names of the days of the week. There is NO WAY, the ancient Jews, used those names in their calendar.

2. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
  3. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    For those that don't believe the Bible mentioned the FULL moon as the instrument of appointing the times, look at the following verse and see that is specifically shows that the FEAST day is on the FULL moon. That can't happen consistently following a solar calendar.

Psa 81:3 Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day.

The word "appointed" above means "FULL MOON".

כּסה / כּסא
    kese' / keseh
    BDB Definition:
    1) full moon
    Part of Speech: noun masculine

4. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Tiberius 16th year was in 29/30 AD.
    Africanus says that would be the 2nd year of the 202nd Olympiad.

Do the math:

29 - (201 * 4) - 2 + 1 = -776 BC

Let me explain the math.
    29 is 29 AD
    201 is what I use in place of 202 since Olympiads start at 1 and not 0
    -2 is because it is the second year of the 202nd Olympiad
    +1 is because there is no year 0

The answer is 776 for 776 BC which is the known year for when the Olympiads started.

Africanus went on to say there was an eclipse in the 4 year of the 202nd Olympiad like no other, which put that time during the Crucifixion. 29 + 2 = 31 AD - meaning the Crucifixion was in 32 AD.

5. Davy

Davy Well-Known Member Supporter

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Your assumption is correct, Lord Jesus was crucified at the exact time required for the passover sacrifice, at evening on the preparation day (Wednesday evening prior to sunset).

Matt 27:59-62
    59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,

60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.

61 And there was Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, sitting over against the sepulchre.

62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

KJV

Then His body was in the tomb for literally 3 days and 3 nights. Then He rose sometime early Sunday morning before dawn.

The day/night reckoning has to be according to the Hebrew reckoning. The night began at sunset to dawn, and the day period from dawn to sunset.

6. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Here is the problem with that... If He was in the Tomb for 3 days and 3 nights then how can He be crucified on the Preparation Day for the Feast of Unleavened Bread and still be raised on the Day of First Fruits? Prep day is the 14th, Feast is 15th and Firstfruits is the 16th.

7. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,722
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The eyewitnesses on the road to Emmaus prove that scenario impossible...

8. Davy

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    There's no problem. Everything happened according to the events in God's Word, even the time of Lord Jesus' sacrifice as a replacement for the passover lamb.

Ex 12:6
    6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
    KJV

14th Nissan, at evening, the passover lamb was to be killed, and the Israelites were to spread its blood on their doorposts and eat it that night (after sunset). So like you said, the preparation day is the 14th of Nissan. At sunset on the preparation day, the 15th of Nissan would begin.

1 Cor 5:7
    7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
    KJV

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  9. Der Alte

Der Alte This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+3,903
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    This is true but deceptive. It is evident that in Israel at the time of Jesus the week days did have names, one name is mentioned, "parasceue" which in Greek means "preparation." In Hebrew the names of the weekdays are
    Rishon-Sunday
    Sheni-Monday
    Shlishi-Tuesday
    Revi’i-Wednesday
    Chamishi-Thursday
    Shishi-Friday
    Shabbat-Saturday
    Greek
    the Lord’s day” or Κυριακή and the rest of the days simply by numbering, counting from Sunday as the first day:
    Δευτέρα (The Second) – Monday,
    Τρίτη (The Third) – Tuesday,
    Τετάρτη (The Fourth) – Wednesday,
    Πέμπτη (The Fifth) – Thursday,
    Παρασκευή (The Day of Preparation)
    Saturday – Σάββατο (Sabbath)

10. Davy

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The early Church of Rome have their traditions, along with those Churches that follow them. But God's Word stands as its own proof.

11. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Still don't see how that is 3 days and 3 nights. Of course I don't believe it is 3 days and 3 nights since I believe in the Spiritual understanding of the Sign of Jonah.

12. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    And the DECEPTIVE part is? (Smelling another Ad hominem here).

13. Davy

+794
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus said three days and three nights, and that is how it was, but per the Hebrew reckoning, not the secular calendar reckoning. All one has to do is count back from Sunday when He rose, but using the Hebrew reckoning, which is from sunset to sunset for a 24 hour period. The night watch per God's Word was broken down into 3 watches, so there's one Biblical proof that a night period is not a day period.

"Watches Of Night

The Jews, like the Greeks and Romans, divided the night into military watches instead of hours, each watch representing the period for which sentinels or pickets remained on duty. The proper Jewish reckoning recognized only three such watches, entitled the first or "beginning of the watches," Lam 2:19, the middle watch, Judg 7:19, and the morning watch. Ex 14:24; 1 Sam 11:11. These would last respectively from sunset to 10 P.M.; from 10 P.M. to 2 A.M.; and from 2 A.M. to sunrise. After the establishment of the Roman supremacy, the number of watches was increased to four, which were described either according to their numerical order, as in the case of the "fourth watch," Matt 14:25, or by the terms "even," "midnight," "cock-crowing" and "morning." Mark 13:35. These terminated respectively at 9 P.M., midnight, 3 A.M. and 6 A.M."
    (from Smith's Bible Dictionary, PC Study Bible formatted electronic database Copyright © 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

14. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So where do you put Jesus at on the 11th, 12th and 13th of the month?

15. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+21,314
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I honestly can't tell if everything I've said has gone over your head or if you are just messing with me. On the chance that you are being sincere here allow me to respond clearly:

No one has said that ancient Jews used the modern English names of the days of the week.

-CryptoLutheran

16. Der Alte

+3,903
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Another person who does not know what an "ad hominem" is. I said "this," i.e. the post, "is deceptive." Ain't no "ad hom" there amigo.
    I don't think anyone thinks that in ancient Israel the days of the week had the same names we have in the U.S. but the week days did have names, as I have shown. When posting it is easier and quicker to say simply e.g. "Sunday" instead of the longer "The day we call Sunday." I have had to learn the days of the week, the months etc.in two languages beside English, German when I was 12 and Korean when I was 30ish.

17. cfposter

cfposter Member

+54
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I still don't see what was stated that was deceptive. That leaves an "ad hominem".

18. Der Alte

+3,903
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    From reading your post one could get the idea that you were saying the days of the week did not have names, at all, in ancient times.

19. ViaCrucis

+21,314
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    This is what 32 AD looks like: Hebrew Calendar

Look at the month of Nisan.

See a problem? I do.

-CryptoLutheran

20. ViaCrucis

+21,314
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I don't think deceptive is the right word. Irrelevant is a better fit.

It's irrelevant what we call the days of the week, and so bringing it up is pointless. If done as an intentional red herring, that would be deceptive; but that would also involve attributing motive--which may be unfair.

-CryptoLutheran