Was talking to a friend about stereotypes..

Natalie De La Fontaine

Aug 5, 2019
Grenoble
✟67,121.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was talking to a friend about stereotypes about different nationalities and we had a gooodd laugh. Anybody have favortie sterotypes people have about your nationality that makes you laugh either because its not true at all or. Because it is totally true ? I would love to hear them
Here are some for me:

“ The French drink a lot of coffee and they drink it black”
This is so true haha, I love my coffee and I drink it black. I have my cup in the morning one and in the afternoon

“ The french are lazy”
Okay we arent lazy butttt we know how to take a breather and relax, no matter how busy things get we know relaxing is important and will make time for it

“ The french eat SLOW”
100 percent true for me, My best friend ( she’s English) gets so annoyed with me because i take forever to have my meal. I look at her. And tease her because her food is gone within minutes. Haha

“ The french are effortless”
This ties in with point too, nah we are just lazy

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
German women
There are assumptions that German women are cold and unromantic. Some people even assume that German women are unable to cook.
I do overdress at winter time.
I was asked on a date and said no, the gentlman said thank you and left. This can be a romance movie? :scratch:
I can cook, it just turn out bad.

Love of order
Attachment to order, organisation and planning is a stereotype of German culture. Germany is perceived to have an abundance of rules and Germans are generalized as enjoying obeying them.
Now that I think about it other country drive way to fast.

No small talk
Some people think that the Germans are all straightforward and undiplomatic. The perceived inability of the Germans to engage in small talk and their unromantic nature are discussed by foreigners. As far as a German is concerned, "A yes is a yes and a no is a no."
OK.

Upvote 0

Alistair_Wonderland

Apr 14, 2018
New Philadelphia
✟28,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm an American, so here we go with some American stereotypes:

1. Americans are loud. Not entirely true; some of us are quite on the quiet side. But yeah, we can be loud.

2. Americans are totally rude, entitled, and opinionated! I would disagree, but with the elections coming up, I think I would only be proven wrong. Suffice to say, we aren't all that way. It's just that the rude, opinionated people tend to be heard more, often because they're louder. (See stereotype 1)

3. Americans have to have their own version of everything! Let's see... American football... measurement systems... temperature measurement systems... Hmm. This isn't looking too good for us.

4. All Americans are rich. Ha! I wish! Still, compared to other countries, we're pretty well off. It's still better to be homeless in America than to have a home in some countries, if we're talking about getting food and shelter.

5. Americans only party, drink, and sleep around. No, this is only Hollywood, which is the only part of American culture most of the world sees. Sure, we're a little looser than some countries, but not by a huge margin. Except for places like Vegas. But that's not the norm.

6. Americans only know English. Not entirely true, but more true than it should be. Because of the growing Hispanic population, we have a lot of people who speak Spanish. Sadly, I only know a few dozen words in other languages. :(

7. Americans don't know how to dress. Now I dress very eccentrically, but I do care about the way I dress, and a lot of people would agree with me. We aren't all like those middle-aged dads who wear socks with sandals. After all, do not forget the ever-fashionable basic white girl in her Uggs. (Basic white girls are another stereotype entirely, which I am not getting into.)

8. Americans are FAAAT! Ugh... we aren't all fat. I'm actually pretty skinny. But yes, chronic obesity is a problem, as is heart disease, diabetes, and corpulent people in revealing swimsuits on the beach.

9. Americans all are pro-gay/ Americans are all Christians My brother actually met a Middle Eastern person online who had been told all Americans were pro-gay and slept around indiscriminately. My brother responded by telling him that Americans are told that most Middle Eastern people are terrorists, and they both laughed about how dumb it all was. So disclaimer to the rest of the world: not all Americans are pro-gay, nor are they all Christians, as some people believe. Which is good, since freedom of religion and freedom of alternate opinions keeps us strong. I don't care if your opinions disagree with mine, or mine with yours: if you can state your opinions respectfully and agree to disagree, I hold no hatred or judgement, and can get along just fine with you. (Sadly, it is true that many Americans can't agree to disagree respectfully, but I think that's just humans in general.)

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was talking to a friend about stereotypes about different nationalities and we had a gooodd laugh. Anybody have favortie sterotypes people have about your nationality that makes you laugh either because its not true at all or. Because it is totally true ? I would love to hear them
Here are some for me:

“ The French drink a lot of coffee and they drink it black”
This is so true haha, I love my coffee and I drink it black. I have my cup in the morning one and in the afternoon

“ The french are lazy”
Okay we arent lazy butttt we know how to take a breather and relax, no matter how busy things get we know relaxing is important and will make time for it

“ The french eat SLOW”
100 percent true for me, My best friend ( she’s English) gets so annoyed with me because i take forever to have my meal. I look at her. And tease her because her food is gone within minutes. Haha

“ The french are effortless”
This ties in with point too, nah we are just lazy
Your post painted an amused smile on my face! I actually never heard about the coffee (but I do drink it black, and 3 cups a day) or slow-eating stereotypes, but I guess I'm not really paying attention to what people assume about French people!
Agree somehow about the "lazy" thing, and I must confess I do stick to this stereotype - life is a way too important matter to spend it working 100% of my time... here is how I redeem myself :D

Upvote 0