Was Sodom's sin, "hospitality"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffer

Feb 10, 2003
✟152.00
10th February 2003 at 07:53 PM jseek21 said this in Post
Certain theologians these days believe that Sodom and Gommorah's sin was that they were not hospitible. They accept homosexuality as biblical. Do you believe this?

If you ask me, they were the most hospitible people in the bible! Think about it, these people came to Sodom and Gommorah and men young and old from every village came to meet them. hey, and the housekeeper even offered his neighbors his two virgin daughters! If that's not hospitality what is? Yet they went above and beyond and wanted these men sexually.

GROUND RULESM FOR THIS THREAD:
This is a Christian discussion.
We are not bashing homosexuals, or being hateful, yet pointing out possible falsehood, error, and conviction of sin is allowed.
God's Word is the final authority.
Stay within the forum rules.

I don't see anywhere in Gods word a reference to Sodoms sin having anything to do with being hospitible or not,  Or how not being hospitible could be a abomination in Gods eyes.

Upvote 0

MizDoulos

<font color=6c2dc7><b>Justified by grace through f
Jan 1, 2002
The "Left Coast" of the USA
Visit site
✟22,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Reminder:&nbsp&nbspSince the Non-Denominational Protestant Forum Rules are new, I will post a portion appropriate to this discussion as a reminder to all. Please read them carefully:

1) This forum is open to all Christians. Non-Christian members are not allowed to post here.

2) Protestant, Evangelical and Reformed members, as well as Non-Denominational Christian members can post fellowship threads here as well as debate threads to discuss various doctrines to do with their own denomination and other denominations (including the Catholic church), as long as they are within our rules.

3) Non-Protestant members (eg. Catholic members) can only post fellowship posts here or posts to ask a question regarding Protestant or Evangelical doctrine. Once the question is answered, there shall be no debate over the answer in this forum by the Non-Protestant. Any debate posts by Non-Protestants will be deleted or moved to the Interdenominational Doctrine Debate forum. In other words, only Protestant members can debate here.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
16th February 2003 at 11:05 AM Jeffer said this in Post #81 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=656502#post656502)

I don't see anywhere in Gods word a reference to Sodoms sin having anything to do with being hospitible or not,&nbsp; Or how not being hospitible could be a abomination in Gods eyes.

When the standard of "hospitality" is "do not gang-rape strangers", I think it's pretty clear how inhospitality could be an abomination in God's eyes. More generally, the Bible is full of condemnations of people who sit around being proud that they aren't doing anything specifically gross, but who don't clothe the naked, feed the hungry, and generally support those needier than themselves. Indeed, in one of the passages referring to Sodom, the Israelites are told that their lack of charity is *worse* than the iniquities of Sodom and Gomorrah!

Anyway, if you don't see any references to this, despite having several relevant passages posted a few times in this thread, there's not much I can do for you. It's there. It's been posted. It's been posted more than once. It's been discussed, and analyzed, and pointed out, repeatedly. Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Christ all talk about Sodom. Christ uses it as an example of an inhospitable place. Ezekiel and Isaiah go on about it at length.

If you wish, you can of course ignore these, and make the story be about whatever you want. The chances are that any modern fire-and-brimstone church has a much better understanding of that story than any of God's boring old prophets; you'll show *them* who's boss.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BTW, something that just occurred to me the other day, which I have not seen considered in any of these debates:

If these men were really homosexuals seeking homosexual sex, why didn't they just go rent a room?

They didn't grab Lot when he came out to talk to them. They didn't want his daughters. They didn't want each other.

Whatever they wanted, Lot didn't have it, his daughters didn't have it, and none of *them* had it either. It can't have been "male bodies" or "female bodies". It *must* have been the strangers themselves, not because they were men (men were in plentiful supply in this story), but either because they were strangers, or because they were angels. Those are the only things the strangers had that no one else present had.

Jude argues for the angel interpretation with the reference to "HETEROS SARX" - "other flesh". You could make that fit "strangers" pretty well, too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.