Was Jesus two years old when the Magi came to visit?

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard it said that Jesus would have been around two years old when the Magi came to visit and give their gifts. The most clear recollection I have of hearing this is from a Jehovah's witness. It seems a stretch when I read the passage he referenced:
Screenshot_2019-09-17_23-08-41.png
Does that interpretation sound even close to honest and reasonable to you?

He got the two years from the age of the infants that Herod ordered his soldiers to kill.
Screenshot_2019-09-17_23-32-33.png

Last edited:

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've heard it said that Jesus would have been around two years old when the Magi came to visit and give their gifts. The most clear recollection I have of hearing this is from a Jehovah's witness. It seems a stretch when I read the passage he referenced:
Does that interpretation sound even close to honest and reasonable to you?
That is the usual Western Christian understanding.

The Eastern Christian is that the Magi came at the Nativity of the Savior.

But this is not a matter on which your eternal salvation depends.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is the usual Western Christian understanding.

The Eastern Christian is that the Magi came at the Nativity of the Savior.

But this is not a matter on which your eternal salvation depends.
Everybody else I know thinks of the Magi (wise men) as arriving on the night of the Lord's birth, some, may speculate that they might have come later than that but the idea that two years elapsed from when Jesus was born until the arrival of the Magi seems a stretch of the intended meaning of the passage.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Popcorn essential. The best explanation Ever!

Scholars debate whether the Star of Bethlehem is a legend created by the early church or a miracle that marked the advent of Christ. Is it possible that the star was a real, astronomical event? From Producer Stephen McEveety (The Passion of the Christ) comes an amazing documentary on the Star of Bethlehem. This presentation as seen by tens of thousands in the U.S. and in Europe explores the exciting truth of scripture and reveals the evidence for God's existence as seen in the stars above. Presenter Rick Larson walks you through Biblical and historical clues revealing the incredible significance of this celestial event as well as the vastness of God's creativity. Discover the secret of the Star - a secret of magnificent beauty.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scholars debate whether the Star of Bethlehem is a legend created by the early church or a miracle that marked the advent of Christ. Is it possible that the star was a real, astronomical event? From Producer Stephen McEveety (The Passion of the Christ) comes an amazing documentary on the Star of Bethlehem. This presentation as seen by tens of thousands in the U.S. and in Europe explores the exciting truth of scripture and reveals the evidence for God's existence as seen in the stars above. Presenter Rick Larson walks you through Biblical and historical clues revealing the incredible significance of this celestial event as well as the vastness of God's creativity. Discover the secret of the Star - a secret of magnificent beauty.
I am not sure, but what is in the quote above looks like advertising for the documentary mentioned in it.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is irrelevant that rich travellers would arrive when He was first born.More relevant it was for the poor and outcast like the shepherds. But it is relevant that they brought gifts that would help pay for an escape to Egypt. As a matter of fact it doesn't even say three.of them. They saw the star in the east yet they were travelling west so that means they first saw His star, no doubt Jupiter, the king maker, when they were in the east themselves. Also a new chapter indicates a different time, as does young child which does not correlate with newborn.

Regardless, it says... Matthew 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh. 12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

A Christmas tradition has overtaken scripture much in the same way other traditions within the religion have, especially a tradition that those of
God can align with governance of man when the original scriptural purpose was to remain loyal only to the will of God, creating a division, between world of man and Kingdom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, Jesus was at least two years old.
I'd have thought "at most" would be the way to phrase it because the passage suggests that Herod was told that star appeared two years prior to the arrival of the Magi.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is irrelevant that rich travellers would arrive when He was first born.More relevant it was for the poor and outcast like the shepherds.
The ones first mentioned and who receive some emphasis are the angel who announced the birth to the shepherds and the host of heaven singing.
Screenshot_2019-09-18_01-25-35.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd have thought "at most" would be the way to phrase it because the passage suggests that Herod was told that star appeared two years prior to the arrival of the Magi.
Consider that the star (probably the king maker) announced a new king, it was in conjunction with other stars. This would only occur for a moment, a few days at most but the moment of conjunction would be what Herod was after. From the time of this conjunction until they arrived in Judah and before they even travelled to Bethlehem after meeting Herod would be considerable. The conjunction would have been long over yet the king maker Jupiter would still have been in the night sky as it is even now. Without conjugation it is just another light in the sky but to them a long time after the conjunction, it still represented a sign they were on the right track as it travelled west across the sky each night.

Matthew 2:7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and make a careful search for the child. As soon as you have found him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”

• Informative
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The ones first mentioned and who receive some emphasis are the angel who announced the birth to the shepherds and the host of heaven singing.

The shepherds visited Jesus in the manger, the Magi visited him in the house.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Couple of other thoughts.

There is no indication that any but the Magi actually saw the star, and it was unknown to Herod. This is no surprise as the Magi were likely astronomers who plied the heavens for various signs.

After the dedication of Jesus in Jerusalem Mary and Joseph returned to Nazareth and their home, which is where the star eventually led the Magi.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mary and Joseph returned to Nazareth
Another glitch with no mention of Egypt. The Dedication 40 days after Jesus was born. Luke 2:39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth. 40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. 41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...He got the two years from the age of the infants that Herod ordered his soldiers to kill....

It seems Herod thought that Jesus was at some age between 0…2. And I think it is possible that was about 2 at that time. It is not directly said; therefore, I think there is no reason to claim some exact age.

• Agree
Reactions: GingerBeer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another glitch with no mention of Egypt. The Dedication 40 days after Jesus was born. Luke 2:39 And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth. 40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. 41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.

The flight into Egypt occurred just after the visit of the Magi to Nazareth.

Matthew 2:13

3 And when they (the Magi) were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes but Luke has a different narrative which leaves no room for Egypt..

Matthew and Luke both leave out things that the other recorded, but taken together you get a pretty good picture.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0