Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by franklin
  Not good.  Tell us why you believe it.   
Bingo!  Now that's good BH !  your making some progress !
Great!  you mean the scriptures tells us that Jesus is the Son of God? 
I knew it was to good to be true and you were batting 100 until this!  :(    It's time for you to hit the scriptures once again!

Franklin I was just pointing out that Trinitarians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he is our brother.  I have already shown why the Bible says that Jesus is God.  It is just like Ed quoted.  There is one Lord and one God.  God is Lord and of course God.  Jesus is called lord so He must by logic be God also. 

Upvote 0

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Blackhawk
Franklin I was just pointing out that Trinitarians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he is our brother.  I have already shown why the Bible says that Jesus is God.  It is just like Ed quoted.  There is one Lord and one God.  God is Lord and of course God.  Jesus is called lord so He must by logic be God also. 

So from what you just said BH, (and thanks for answering my PM) Jesus is the Son of God and our brother, but he is God which would make us brothers of God. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by JesusServant
So from what you just said BH, (and thanks for answering my PM) Jesus is the Son of God and our brother, but he is God which would make us brothers of God. :sigh:

In a sense yes.  But in another sense no.  It is about relationships.  Jesus' death on the cross paved the way for our salvation. Before salvation we are not children of God.  after salvation we are adopted sons/ daughters of God.  Jesus is God's son so thus He is our brother in that sense.  But He is not our brother in the sense that we are divine in anyway shape or form. 

Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Some posters enjoy overlooking scripture. They love to believe only parts of it etc... Christ is clearly portrayed as the following throughout scripture:

Christ is God who became flesh. When He became flesh... He had to make Himself like a man... (Phil 2 clearly explains that Christ made HIMSELF nothing... no one else did this for Him). This is why you see Christ as being subservient to the Father. It is also why you see Christ as being addressed as God throughout the word of God. God was always Christ in that Christ is God in His love. God is always love. (Hebrews Ch 9 talks all about how the sacrifice was necessary, and had to be made by the one who made the covenant in the first place--God.) Christ represents love in every way that is described throughout the Bible. All of love's characteristics are fulfilled in Christ. However, God can not be subservient to death... He cannot become sin. This is why God in His love became flesh, which enabled Him to become our sin. This is where Christ and the Father, although they are one, separate (Remember, Christ says that He comes from the Father.) God in His love, (Christ), did not consider it necessary to remain God in His glory. Therefore God in His love separated Himself from God in His glory... because love had to make a sacrifice. (Notice the direct similarity with Phil 2:5-11) These things fit in perfectly with Hebrews chapeter one where God is speaking of Christ and calling Him God... saying that "today I have become your Father." Christ is the Word of John 1:1. He is not an "idea/logos" of God's put into a man... He is exactly as the Bible says... the Word was God... the Word became flesh. One of Christ's titles in Revelation is the "Word of God". Notice once again ed.. that nothing in these words isn't already in the Bible... everything here is taken from Love as mentioned by Christ and in 1 Cor 13... from Phil 2... and from Hebrews 1 and 9. ---------->God becoming like man... amazing! And doing this to enable Him to become our sacrifice. The very punishment that was given, He Himself underwent. However, God in His majesty cannot become sin. Sin cannot enter His Domain. God in His glroy had to turn His back on Himself in the flesh, as a man... as sin... out of love. Phil describes Christ... His form after becoming flesh. He was God... (Remember, God Almighty in His majesty is always Christ in that Christ is God in His love... however, God through His love [Christ] had to give up being Himself in all of His glory to be able to become our sacrifice) But as described in the parenthesis, He had to give up being Himself in all of His power/glory/majesty/words cannot describe/etc. However, He was still in very nature God (or in the "form" of) when He became flesh. It is just the best way that the words we have can describe what happened. God out of His love for us did not consider staying in a state equal with Himself in His own majesty/glory/etc something that He needed to hold on to... ("to be grasped")...(He didn't need to, it was His already)... and He in turn made Himself nothing, through Love, to become our sacrifice... (I know this has been said again and again... but it is so important.) This is who Christ is... and it is completely supported by every scripture that anyone here can bring to the table.

Yes... God is one... who became flesh... He is also Spirit... not three different individuals... and yes He did have to take on the nature of man. He did indeed become the Son of God... (read Hebrews chapter one... "today I have become your Father")... and furthermore... Hebrews is very clear that the one who made the covenant in the first place is the one who had to die to put it into effect.

So... here are some points for those claiming that Christ is not God who became subservient, and is now glorified again after defeating death. (He is God, just to make sure folks know what I'm saying here)

First of all... you have verses where Christ possesses the title KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS. Yet... God will not give His glory to another, (Isaiah 42:8), so how is it that Christ would have this title if He was not God? Also... the verse referring to Christ as the Lord of Glory... how do you explain that one?

Secondly... you have the debate over John 1. Some here assume that the Word came into a man... yet that is not what it says. The Bible says that the Word was God. It does not say it was an idea or some metaphysical entity. The Bible clearly, clearly says that the Word was God, period. Then... it says the Word became flesh... not came into someone's flesh. here is a refresher reading for you: (John 1:1-5, 14) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. ------> (Revelation 19:13) He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

Thirdly... we have the following verses: (Hebrews 9:14) How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:16-17) In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while THE ONE WHO MADE IT is living.--------> These verses clearly explain who had to die: The One who made the will (covenant). It is obvious... yet some do not believe... they say... what? What do you say?

Next we have these verses: (Hebrews 1:5) For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son: today I have become your Father.” Hebrews 1:8 But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.” Hebrews 1:10 He also says, “In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.” (Notice at the beginning of this God says “TODAY… I have become your Father… indicating that He wasn’t always… while Christ says many times that He is the Beginning and the End… indicating the claim I AM)-------> Now... what do you guys have to say about this one? Is it a "bad" translation? Nope... God's word is truth... I believe it. If you believe that the new translations can be erroneous, then what is to keep the old ones from being skewed as well? (I'll give you a hint... God!!!) These verses, once again, portray Christ as was explained at the beginning of the post. He is God who became flesh... "today I have become your Father." The Father says of the Son: "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever".

Here's another one: (Colossians 2:9)—For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form-----------> Pretty self-explanitory isn't it?

How about this: (Acts 3:15)--You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. (Who is the author of life?) Once again... we have a verse indicating that Christ is the author of life... the creator... etc... like John 1... like Hebrews chapter 1.

Here you go: (Jude 1:4)-- "They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Pretty explicit about that "only Sovereign and Lord huh.)-------> What do you guys have to say about this one... isn't God our only Sovereign? Our ONLY Lord it claims... hmmm.... pretty powerful isn't it!

And finally... (at least for this post)... (Titus 2:13)--while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. (notice that it says Christ was purifying a people for his very own... "purify for himself"... sounds like this is what God was doing doesn't it... indicates, once again, that they are one in the same)

Need I say more about this last one? (Purify for HIMSELF... not someone else)

Believe

FOW

Upvote 0

franklin

Sexed up atheism = Pantheism
May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Franklin I was just pointing out that Trinitarians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he is our brother.
If that is the case, then why bother with proclaiming the trinity as the truth at all?  It is not the truth of scripture! 
I have already shown why the Bible says that Jesus is God.  It is just like Ed quoted.  There is one Lord and one God.  God is Lord and of course God.  Jesus is called lord so He must by logic be God also.  [/B]
No BH, Just because He is called Lord that does not mean that He is God.  That would not only be a contradiction of scripture but of the first part of your quote above. And you couldn't have shown that He was God from the scripture because the scripture says no such thing!  

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by franklin
If that is the case, then why bother with proclaiming the trinity as the truth at all?  It is not the truth of scripture! 

That is just your assertion which I have shown is not true.  But since you have made the assertion can you back up your claim?  i have not seen you do so thus far. 

No BH, Just because He is called Lord that does not mean that He is God.  That would not only be a contradiction of scripture but of the first part of your quote above. And you couldn't have shown that He was God from the scripture because the scripture says no such thing!   [/B]

Okay here is the scripture.

1 Cor 8:6
6 yet for us there is {but} one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we {exist} for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we {exist} through Him.
(NAU)

First I want to point out that the same things are said about God the Father as Jesus Christ.  So they both are "from whom are all things and we {exist} for Him."  So i think that makes a clear statement that they are equal. 

Now if we look at the underlined portion we see that there is one God and that is the Father.  You agree so far right?

Okay and then we look at the underlined portion and it says that there is one Lord and that is Jesus Christ.  Right? 

Next we see from scripture that God is Lord.

Here are just a few.

Rev 11:17
17 saying, "We give You thanks, O Lord God, the Almighty, who are and who were, because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign.
(NAU)

Luke 1:32
32 "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David;
(NAU)

Dan 9:3
3 So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek {Him by} prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes.
(NAU)

Rev 22:5
5 And there will no longer be {any} night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.
(NAU)

So if there is only one Lord and only one God and also God is Lord and if we see that Christ is Lord then how cannot Christ be God? 

Oh and here is another verse that says that there is only one God and only one Lord.

Eph 4:4-6
4 {There is} one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling;
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
(NAU)

So what do you say to this? Notice I want more than you just saying that scripture does not support it.  I want reasons why I am wrong. 

Upvote 0

billhabing

Feb 18, 2002
Gilroy, California
Visit site
✟336.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by fieldsofwind
Some posters enjoy overlooking scripture. They love to believe only parts of it etc... Christ is clearly portrayed as the following throughout scripture: 

This is who Christ is... and it is completely supported by every scripture that anyone here can bring to the table.

Yes... God is one... who became flesh... He is also Spirit... not three different individuals... and yes He did have to take on the nature of man. He did indeed become the Son of God... (read Hebrews chapter one... "today I have become your Father")... and furthermore... Hebrews is very clear that the one who made the covenant in the first place is the one who had to die to put it into effect.

So... here are some points for those claiming that Christ is not God who became subservient, and is now glorified again after defeating death. (He is God, just to make sure folks know what I'm saying here)

Dear Fieldsofwind, It is not that clear to me, if it was as clear as everyone thinks it is there would not be so many differing points of view. Many books are written on the subject and it is still a mystery, I do not think it is essential to salvation. What do you think?

I can see both sides point but the "Jesus is the Son", is the most logical. But we cannot find God through logic, He finds us and it is in cildlikeness that we learn to trust Him.

Upvote 0

Phoenix

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
✟1,460.00
Faith
Christian
Franklin,

And you couldn't have shown that He was God from the scripture because the scripture says no such thing!

Of course it has. Now we have someone in the thread looking at it from the Aramaic. You've seen OS spank Ed like a three year old at k-mart with the Hebrew and Greek and the link you provided was linguistically incorrect and therefore false. You've said that you believed Jesus was God for 20 years - what changed your mind so drastically ?

Upvote 0

JesusServant

Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Christ is God who became flesh. When He became flesh... He had to make Himself like a man... (Phil 2 clearly explains that Christ made HIMSELF nothing... no one else did this for Him). This is why you see Christ as being subservient to the Father. It is also why you see Christ as being addressed as God throughout the word of God. God was always Christ in that Christ is God in His love. God is always love. (Hebrews Ch 9 talks all about how the sacrifice was necessary, and had to be made by the one who made the covenant in the first place--God.) Christ represents love in every way that is described throughout the Bible. All of love's characteristics are fulfilled in Christ. However, God can not be subservient to death... He cannot become sin. This is why God in His love became flesh, which enabled Him to become our sin. This is where Christ and the Father, although they are one, separate (Remember, Christ says that He comes from the Father.) God in His love, (Christ), did not consider it necessary to remain God in His glory. Therefore God in His love separated Himself from God in His glory... because love had to make a sacrifice. (Notice the direct similarity with Phil 2:5-11) These things fit in perfectly with Hebrews chapeter one where God is speaking of Christ and calling Him God... saying that "today I have become your Father." Christ is the Word of John 1:1. He is not an "idea/logos" of God's put into a man... He is exactly as the Bible says... the Word was God... the Word became flesh. One of Christ's titles in Revelation is the "Word of God". Notice once again ed.. that nothing in these words isn't already in the Bible... everything here is taken from Love as mentioned by Christ and in 1 Cor 13... from Phil 2... and from Hebrews 1 and 9. ---------->God becoming like man... amazing! And doing this to enable Him to become our sacrifice. The very punishment that was given, He Himself underwent. However, God in His majesty cannot become sin. Sin cannot enter His Domain. God in His glroy had to turn His back on Himself in the flesh, as a man... as sin... out of love. Phil describes Christ... His form after becoming flesh. He was God... (Remember, God Almighty in His majesty is always Christ in that Christ is God in His love... however, God through His love [Christ] had to give up being Himself in all of His glory to be able to become our sacrifice) But as described in the parenthesis, He had to give up being Himself in all of His power/glory/majesty/words cannot describe/etc. However, He was still in very nature God (or in the "form" of) when He became flesh. It is just the best way that the words we have can describe what happened. God out of His love for us did not consider staying in a state equal with Himself in His own majesty/glory/etc something that He needed to hold on to... ("to be grasped")...(He didn't need to, it was His already)... and He in turn made Himself nothing, through Love, to become our sacrifice... (I know this has been said again and again... but it is so important.) This is who Christ is... and it is completely supported by every scripture that anyone here can bring to the table.

First of all... you have verses where Christ possesses the title KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS. Yet... God will not give His glory to another, (Isaiah 42:8), so how is it that Christ would have this title if He was not God? Also... the verse referring to Christ as the Lord of Glory... how do you explain that one?

Secondly... you have the debate over John 1. Some here assume that the Word came into a man... yet that is not what it says. The Bible says that the Word was God. It does not say it was an idea or some metaphysical entity. The Bible clearly, clearly says that the Word was God, period. Then... it says the Word became flesh... not came into someone's flesh. here is a refresher reading for you: (John 1:1-5, 14) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. ------> (Revelation 19:13) He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

Thirdly... we have the following verses: (Hebrews 9:14) How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:16-17) In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while THE ONE WHO MADE IT is living.--------> These verses clearly explain who had to die: The One who made the will (covenant). It is obvious... yet some do not believe... they say... what? What do you say?

Next we have these verses: (Hebrews 1:5) For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son: today I have become your Father.” Hebrews 1:8 But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.” Hebrews 1:10 He also says, “In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.” (Notice at the beginning of this God says “TODAY… I have become your Father… indicating that He wasn’t always… while Christ says many times that He is the Beginning and the End… indicating the claim I AM)-------> Now... what do you guys have to say about this one? Is it a "bad" translation? Nope... God's word is truth... I believe it. If you believe that the new translations can be erroneous, then what is to keep the old ones from being skewed as well? (I'll give you a hint... God!!!) These verses, once again, portray Christ as was explained at the beginning of the post. He is God who became flesh... "today I have become your Father." The Father says of the Son: "Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever".

Here's another one: (Colossians 2:9)—For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form-----------> Pretty self-explanitory isn't it?

How about this: (Acts 3:15)--You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. (Who is the author of life?) Once again... we have a verse indicating that Christ is the author of life... the creator... etc... like John 1... like Hebrews chapter 1.

Here you go: (Jude 1:4)-- "They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Pretty explicit about that "only Sovereign and Lord huh.)-------> What do you guys have to say about this one... isn't God our only Sovereign? Our ONLY Lord it claims... hmmm.... pretty powerful isn't it!

And finally... (at least for this post)... (Titus 2:13)--while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. (notice that it says Christ was purifying a people for his very own... "purify for himself"... sounds like this is what God was doing doesn't it... indicates, once again, that they are one in the same)

Need I say more about this last one? (Purify for HIMSELF... not someone else)

Believe

FOW

Very nice post fow.  While you assume a couple of things in the beginning of your post... for instance, that Christ is 'God in His Love' or something like that, you mistake what Christ means.  Christ means Anointed One, it is the greek synonym to the Hebrew 'Messiah'.  The word itself doesn't mean 'God in His Love.'  While you raise some good points, views and arguments, you kind of hurt your own viewpoint here because Christ/Messiah does mean Anointed One, which would infer that the One who is the Christ would be anointed by another separating the the Anointed and the Anointer making the very name Christ or Messiah a separation from God.  However, this does bring up the possibility of God splitting Himself up somehow and sending a powerless part of Himself to be manifested in the flesh, but Jesus said He had all authority of the Father, if He truly did make Himself powerless this wouldn't be true.  Jesus said that He could call angels to come save Him but that wasn't the will of His Father.  Jesus also said a house divided will not stand.  This would be confusing to people with an understanding that God divided Himself up into the HS, Jesus, and the Father.

Another point I'd like to mention is that it's all about Jesus.  Scripture tells us, as I'm sure no one would argue, that from Genesis to Revelation, it's all about Jesus and events leading up to Jesus, what is happening while Jesus walked the earth and then His glorious resurrection and soon return.  Was God giving us a better view of His character and plan for mankind?  He sure was.  This gives points to both sides of the discussion.  If Jesus was the Son of God and the Son of Man then that tells us that we too are being called to be sons of God even though we are sons of men and that we are to be perfected just like Jesus so that we too may be unblamable and righteous so that we may stand before God ("You are to be perfect as your Father in Heaven is perfect" - Jesus).  Also, if Jesus was God, then no one could ever be blameless and perfect like God without God's pushing us in the right direction, so when it comes down to it, it's God's reponsibility to perfect us if Jesus was God because only God was able to be perfect, sinless and righteous in the flesh.  If this is true then NO ONE that accepts Jesus was God will go to the lake of fire unless they were wrong.  This is what worries me about the whole teaching that Jesus was God, it gives men an excuse to continue in sin.

You do, however, bring up some strong scripture and are helping me to weigh the pro's and con's of my study.  It's nice to see that a few people who believe Jesus is God do actually try to factualize it with scripture instead of just blindly believing it because a really nice Pastor told them it was true over and over again throughout their lives.  God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phoenix

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
✟1,460.00
Faith
Christian
It's nice to see that a few people who believe Jesus is God do actually try to factualize it with scripture instead of just blindly believing it because a really nice Pastor told them it was true over and over again throughout their lives.

As we all should JS. I guess that's the difficult thing about the Bible, we all see something a little different. There's a litany of Scripture that tells us that Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God. For me, i still have difficulty with parts of Scripture that i think says otherwise. Isaiah maybe chapter 50-51 covering the Suffering Servant, frankly has me stumped. As i think most links or discussions about the Trinity go - pretty everyone admits they dont understand how it could be possible. But it is Scripture that tells us that it's true. The information that OS and now Thadman and other Theologian types give us is invaluable. Test the Spirits, study the Bible and keep searching.

Upvote 0

JesusServant

Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by Phoenix
As we all should JS. I guess that's the difficult thing about the Bible, we all see something a little different. There's a litany of Scripture that tells us that Jesus is God and the Holy Spirit is God. For me, i still have difficulty with parts of Scripture that i think says otherwise. Isaiah maybe chapter 50-51 covering the Suffering Servant, frankly has me stumped. As i think most links or discussions about the Trinity go - pretty everyone admits they dont understand how it could be possible. But it is Scripture that tells us that it's true. The information that OS and now Thadman and other Theologian types give us is invaluable. Test the Spirits, study the Bible and keep searching.

Well said Phoenix.  And without being offensive I'm going to try and say this... I didn't reply to Thadman's posts because even though Jesus spoke in Aramaic, his words were not written in Aramaic, so it's kind of a moot point.  There is so much dissension on the translation of YHWH, Yahweh, Jehovah, Lord, LORD, God, etc. that it will just leave you with more questions than answers.  Also, I pretty much avoid theologians as much as I can.  I've attempted to read other's works about the Bible and scripture, but it just leaves you with other people's opinions.  But if we all read the Bible and seek the HS for answers instead of other men, I think we'll all be able to have more understanding in the end.  I do respect people's opinions, don't get me wrong, or I wouldn't be spending so much time questioning here on the forums and searching for other viewpoints.  But I try not to base my opinions off of what everyone else says because eventually I would be worshipping a created God by many men rather than the God of the Bible and Father of Jesus. 

I don't know why, if it is the absolute and only truth, that Paul or Matthew, or John didn't just say, "Jesus was God in the flesh, He was the creator and He made himself man and died so that He could forgive us of our sins".  Why didn't they just say it plain and simple if it was as simple as Jesus was God?  This may be a question only God can answer if it is the truth.  I know that scripture seems to be written in a way that someone who is just looking to scoff at it or is reading with intent to disprove will not see the word for what it is and will give up on it before they see the big picture.  But isn't it amazing how once you read some of the Bible that no matter how hard or long you run from it, you will someday, if God permits you live long enough, return back to it seeking again.  It's like once you eat some of the word, it's taste never leaves your mouth and you end up craving it again.  God is awesome!

Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Posted by JS: "While you raise some good points, views and arguments, you kind of hurt your own viewpoint here because Christ/Messiah does mean Anointed One, which would infer that the One who is the Christ would be anointed by another separating the the Anointed and the Anointer making the very name Christ or Messiah a separation from God.However, this does bring up the possibility of God splitting Himself up somehow and sending a powerless part of Himself to be manifested in the flesh, but Jesus said He had all authority of the Father, if He truly did make Himself powerless this wouldn't be true. Jesus said that He could call angels to come save Him but that wasn't the will of His Father. Jesus also said a house divided will not stand. This would be confusing to people with an understanding that God divided Himself up into the HS, Jesus, and the Father."

Not exactly seeing your point here. It is clear that Christ gave up the glory of God in Phil 2. The reason: For God to be LOVE>>> He had to do what was done, and that required that He become our sacrifice. In other words, He became man/separate. This is not a part of God, but "who being in very nature God... took the nature of man". It is completely God without the glory, and completely man without the sin. That is why he had to recieve all of His power from the Father, who is God who remains/remained in glory.

If one does not take this stand then the Word of God is void. The verses explaining Christ as God, where He is called God by God and by man, and where He is given the titles Mighty God, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last, the Alpha and the Omega, and the KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS would have to mean that God did indeed give someone else the glory and titles reserved for Himself that He said He would never do in Isaiah 42:8. When Christ is worshiped it would be in violation to His own declaration to satan. Think about the first post long and hard, examine the scripture, and you will see the light. It is very bright.

1) 1 Corinthians 2:8-- None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. (Isaiah 42:8--I am the LORD: that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.)

2) (John 14:5-10) Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work."

3) (John 1:1-5, 14) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it... The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

4) (Revelation 19:13) He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

5) (Phil 2:5-10) Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in APPEARANCE as a man, he HUMBLED HIMSELF and BECAME obedient to death--even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, (Reminder: God will not give His glory to another... He is the LORD and Him alone), that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

6) (Rev 19:16) On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. (Isaiah 42:8--I am the LORD: that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.)

7) (Hebrews 9:14) How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:16-17) In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while THE ONE WHO MADE IT is living. (Did God not make the covenant? These verses are very clear as to who had to die)

8) Hebrews 1:5 For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son: today I have become your Father.” Hebrews 1:8 But about the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.” Hebrews 1:10 He also says, “In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands.” (Notice at the beginning of this God says “TODAY… I have become your Father… indicating that He wasn’t always… while Christ says many times that He is the Beginning and the End… indicating the claim I AM)

9) Revelation 22:13—(Jesus speaking) “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”

10) Colossians 2:9—For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form

11) Titus 2:13—While we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ

12) John 20:28—Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

13) John 18:3-6—So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, “Who is it you want?” “Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “I am he,” Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.

14) Revelation 5:11-14--Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" THen I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever! The four living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and worshiped. ------- Matthew 4:10--Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."

15) Acts 3:15--You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead. We are witnesses of this. (Who is the author of life?)

16) We recieved the Spirit of God correct? (Joel 2:28) (2 Cor 1:21-22--Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a desposit, guaranteeing what is to come.) Then how is it that God's word also says that God sent the Spirit of Christ into us... unless Christ's Spirit is the Spirit of God? There are not two different Spirits within me, but one! Galatians 4:6--Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."

17) Titus 2:13--while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. (notice that it says Christ was purifying a people for his very own... "purify for himself"... sounds like this is what God was doing doesn't it... indicates, once again, that they are one in the same)

18) Jude 1:4-- "They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Pretty explicit about that "only Sovereign and Lord huh.)

19) Luke 24:52-- "then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy."

take care

Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
The reason that I think it is difficult to understand is because the word portrays Chirst, who was subservient/became flesh/etc. However, it does speak of Him as He was before hand, (who being in very nature God), (The Word was God), (God speaking of Christ: "your throne O God will last forever and ever"), but the picture you see is that of Christ, and not who He was before He became the Son. (Hebrews: "TODAY I have become your father"), (the Word became flesh), (made HIMSELF nothing), etc.

Upvote 0

franklin

May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That is just your assertion which I have shown is not true.  But since you have made the assertion can you back up your claim?  i have not seen you do so thus far.  
So what do you say to this? Notice I want more than you just saying that scripture does not support it.  I want reasons why I am wrong.  

I've posted plenty of scripture in other posts and threads on this topic, don't tell me I don't back up anything with scripture! 

http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=334315#post334315

http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=339780#post339780

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesusServant

Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Not exactly seeing your point here. 

Isn't that funny how I work very hard to see your point, but you just pass mine off as "not exactly seeing your point here".  Try thinking about and reading what I said a couple of times instead of immediately dismissing every word I type or it is not a discussion at all.

If one does not take this stand then the Word of God is void.

I would never be that bold, especially something that isn't as clear by scripture as you say.  There are many scriptures that are hard to desribe if Jesus was God, which many of us have posted.  But I guess if we don't agree with your stand then the "Word of God is void", I disagree.

EDIT: for fow:

My point is...  You are wrong, Christ is Greek and means Anointed One, it is the counterpart to Messiah in Hebrew, it does NOT mean 'God in His love'.  Period.

With that said, the term Anointed One is NEVER a term given to God, it is given to Jesus, which means that someone/something anointed Him, God.  This is definitely two person, and FOW, if you don't believe they are two separate persons, then you don't even understand the stance of Trinitarians at all.  They too, believe that Jesus and God are separate yet one.  You say God dropped His Glory and became man....

Upvote 0

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Posted by JS: "My point is... You are wrong, Christ is Greek and means Anointed One, it is the counterpart to Messiah in Hebrew, it does NOT mean 'God in His love'. Period."

I realize that Anointed One is the term, however, "God in His love" is who He is, period.

Also, I think I answered your question, (that I had said earlier wasn't clear to me), in post before this one. Just scroll up and you'll see it. If not, sorry.

Posted by JS: "With that said, the term Anointed One is NEVER a term given to God"

This is only true if you already assume that Christ isn't God come in the flesh. So, I don't agree. It doesn't refer to the Father. Who, according to scripture, was not always the Father to Christ. (Hebrews one)

Bring scripture out that refutes the scripture given to you.

take care

FOW

Upvote 0

Phoenix

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
✟1,460.00
Faith
Christian
Actually JS,

Why didn't they just say it plain and simple if it was as simple as Jesus was God?

I think John 1:1 says it all. If it could only be as simple as that. Jesus make seven I AM statements in the New Testament.

Here's the one i like,

John 18:6  As soon then as he had said unto them, I Am He,, They went backward and fell to the groud.

Could you imagine ? Your standing in front of God and he tells you His name so you can know He is God. I'd probably fall down too !

Obviously there's so much more to than that, but keep in mind that the audience that John was writing his Gospel to knew exactly what he was saying even as he said The Word made flesh. OS has posted some fantasic studies on verses taken from Jewish Scriptures of two Yahweh's seen talking to each other in the same verse of Scripture, the other Yahweh being considered or named God's Word. What's helpful to me when thinking about some of this stuff is - How would a Jewish person during those years view what John was writing ?  That's where Historians and Theologians are helpful to us and why i think we need to at least consider and give weight to the understanding they have.  

Either way like i said, keep searching and keep questioning ! I wish you the best.

Upvote 0

franklin

May 21, 2002
Bible belt
Visit site
✟9,942.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
1 Cor 8:6
6 yet for us there is {but} one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we {exist} for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we {exist} through Him. First I want to point out that the same things are said about God the Father as Jesus Christ.  So they both are "from whom are all things and we {exist} for Him."  So i think that makes a clear statement that they are equal. 

BH, you don't have to be a theologian to interpret this passage, nowhere does it say that Jesus is the father or in any of the scriptures I have shown you. And NO, it does not say they are equal, that is what the theologians have been telling you, not the scriptures! Do you believe scripture does not contradict scripture?  

Now if we look at the underlined portion we see that there is one God and that is the Father.  You agree so far right?
Okay and then we look at the underlined portion and it says that there is one Lord and that is Jesus Christ.  Right? 
Next we see from scripture that God is Lord.

Your missing the fact that scripture makes the distinction between the father and the Son, it is not saying that because Jesus is "called" Lord that it is saying He is God.  I used to make the same mistake when I believed the trinity. 
Rev 11:17
17 saying, "We give You thanks, O Lord God, the Almighty, who are and who were, because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign. [/B][/QUOTE]
It is talking about God Almighty not the Son.  Jesus is never referred to in scripture as God Almighty.  Again you are making the Son into a God.  He is always Gods Son and God is always the father of Jesus. 

I don't have the time to cover the rest of your scripture references right now but the reason I posted the links to my other posts was to show you that those scriptures do not in any way contradict anything you have posted.  Get the picture?  I know the mistake you are making because it's the same mistake I have always made and that is everytime you see God and Jesus in the same passages right away they are both God!  Why is that?  Because that is what I was always told and never had the courage to challenge it!  Until a brave brother in Christ shared it with me and I was just as upset with him as you are with me.  I'll get back to the rest of your post later this evening.  Have a good one.... 

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.