Was Jesus crucified on a Saturday as Justin martyr suggests?

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Jesus was crucified during the day of preparation for the Passover as the Gospel according to John suggests, then he would have been buried before the Passover began at sundown on Saturday, making the Passover a special Sabbath. He was in the tomb part of three days, not three full 24 hour days. The Synoptic Gospels seemed to indicate Jesus' last supper was a Passover. The Jews are not allowed to work during Passover, making his arrest by the chief priests (Sanhedrin) during the night of Passover improbable. John indicated the Jews who arrested Jesus and handed him over to Pilate did not want to go into the Gentile Pilate's house/palace lest they be made ritually unclean for the Passover. The Talmud Tractate Pesachim describes the Jewish ritual practice of the Passover festival during Roman times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday)"

Justin Martyr
http://silouanthompson.net/2008/05/justin-martyr-describes-christian-worship-c150-ad/

What most Christians are not in the habit of doing, is looking at the things that pointed to him and his work. He told us, "search the scriptures" which at that time was not the NT. He added, "for in them you think you have eternal life, but they are they which testify of me." The sacrifices, the feasts, they have and had a purpose, but they also pointed to work he would do.

Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:20 that, "Christ is risen and become the firstfruits of them which are asleep." Firstfruits, let's look at firstfruits....

Lev 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest: (11) And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

The word for "the Sabbath" is הַשַּׁבָּת (haShabbat) which means "the Sabbath." This part is important, "The Sabbath".... I will come back to this...

Yeshua (Jesus) was killed at 3:00PM on Passover (Matthew 27:46). There is great significance throughout this whole ordeal. The day Yeshua came into Jerusalem was the day the lambs began to be brought in for inspection and ultimately their sacrifice. He being the lamb would also be inspected, and found to have no blemish. Now like I said, his death was on Passover.

Matthew 26:2 "You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified."

Passover is on the 14th day of the month the Jews call Nisan (Leviticus 23:5). The 14th ends, as all biblical days end, at sundown. So when the sun goes down on the 14th, that begins Nisan 15 which is the first day of Unleavened Bread, which is a High Sabbath (Leviticus 23:6-7). This is why he was taken down and prepared for burial so quickly:

John 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Passover, the 14th is called the Preparation Day because the lambs were offered and the work complete by 3:00PM and then they would be taken back to their dwellings and roasted. It was a day of preparation because of the work involved in sacrificing the lambs, then roasting them and gathering as a family for the High Sabbath when the lamb would be consumed.

If you are still reading... remember, I said there was a reason for "the Sabbath."

A High Sabbath is called, "Shabbaton" ( שַׁבָּתֹון ) not "Shabbat." The WEEKLY Sabbath is Shabbat, a High Sabbath is Shabbaton. First fruits was harvested on the day after the weekly Sabbath (Shabbat) not after the High Sabbath. So the day AFTER the first weekly Sabbath after Passover is when firstfruits occurred. This is why the church has always celebrated Easter (resurrection day) on a Sunday, the day after the weekly Sabbath after Passover. The idea of a "sunrise service" where Christians face East (the direction of Jerusalem from the west) at sunrise on a Sunday morning is because it was at that time the grave was found to be empty.

3 Days and Nights

He was very clear about the sign... he would be dead 3 days and nights. I propose that Passover, Nisan 14, was on a Thursday. And knowing that in the Jewish mind, ANY PART of a day or night can be counted as a day or night. Therefore, he died at 3:00PM on a Thursday afternoon...

Thursday - day 1 (he died at the 9th hour = 3:00PM)
Thursday night - night 1 (begin High Sabbath)
Friday - day 2 (High Sabbath day)
Friday night - night 2 (end High Sabbath, begin weekly Sabbath)
Saturday - day 3 (Sabbath day)
Saturday night - night 3 (end weekly Sabbath)

By sunrise Sunday morning, the grave was "already" empty for if it weren't, that would be day 4 and that would disqualify him based on his own statement about 3 days and nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So he was the one that started that error ?

Justin Martyr is perfectly correct. The Bible says that Jesus was crucified on Friday, the day before the Sabbath, and that He was raised on Sunday, the day after the Sabbath.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Justin Martyr is perfectly correct. The Bible says that Jesus was crucified on Friday, the day before the Sabbath, and that He was raised on Sunday, the day after the Sabbath.
No, that's tradition.
Check the Jewish / Hebrew sources and feasts.
I just didn't know who brought that error into the 'church'.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Greetings Rad. I truly am not trying to deter you in your beliefs, I just wanted to throw this out for consideration.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"

The ninth hour of the day is well accepted to be 3:00PM. A confirming witness comes from Jewish tradition which says that at the same time as this, the last lamb was being offered in the Temple and when the priest would cut its throat he would have announced, "It is finished." Anyway... if Martyr is correct, then this would make the time of death 3:00PM Friday. He was dead 3 days AND nights.So let's just walk it out...

Friday - day 1 (3:00PM)
Friday night - night 1 (begin weekly Sabbath)
Saturday - day 2 (end weekly Sabbath at sundown)
Saturday night - night 2
Sunday - day 3 (tomb was found empty at sunrise - he was already risen)
Sunday night - night 3 (already risen)

You just can't get to three days and nights starting on Friday afternoon when the tomb was empty at sunrise Sunday morning.

The math only works out starting on a Thursday afternoon. I walked it out the same way I just did, in post 7. You can see that here.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just wanted to throw this out for consideration.

Yes, I do know those verses. But you're reading a modern European approach to numbers into them.

On the other hand, Mark 15:42 and Mark 16:2 are quite clear, and Justin Martyr interprets them correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do know those verses. But you're reading a modern European approach to numbers into them.

On the other hand, Mark 15:42 and Mark 16:2 are quite clear, and Justin Martyr interprets them correctly.
I don't even know what "modern European" means. I teach first century Judean culture from a Hebraic perspective. :) The day in Scripture begins and ends at sundown. If he died on a Friday afternoon at 3:00PM (the 9th hour) then the "one sign" of him being messiah (being dead 3 days and nights) simply cannot be reached with a Sunday morning resurrection. What you do with that is up to you, but the math simply doesn't even come close to working out. A Friday afternoon death will fall no less than "a night" short... and perhaps even a day and a night short.

Blessings.
Ken

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What most Christians are not in the habit of doing, is looking at the things that pointed to him and his work. He told us, "search the scriptures" which at that time was not the NT. He added, "for in them you think you have eternal life, but they are they which testify of me." The sacrifices, the feasts, they have and had a purpose, but they also pointed to work he would do.

Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:20 that, "Christ is risen and become the firstfruits of them which are asleep." Firstfruits, let's look at firstfruits....

Lev 23:10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest: (11) And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.

The word for "the Sabbath" is הַשַּׁבָּת (haShabbat) which means "the Sabbath." This part is important, "The Sabbath".... I will come back to this...

Yeshua (Jesus) was killed at 3:00PM on Passover (Matthew 27:46). There is great significance throughout this whole ordeal. The day Yeshua came into Jerusalem was the day the lambs began to be brought in for inspection and ultimately their sacrifice. He being the lamb would also be inspected, and found to have no blemish. Now like I said, his death was on Passover.

Matthew 26:2 "You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified."

Passover is on the 14th day of the month the Jews call Nisan (Leviticus 23:5). The 14th ends, as all biblical days end, at sundown. So when the sun goes down on the 14th, that begins Nisan 15 which is the first day of Unleavened Bread, which is a High Sabbath (Leviticus 23:6-7). This is why he was taken down and prepared for burial so quickly:

John 19:31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

Passover, the 14th is called the Preparation Day because the lambs were offered and the work complete by 3:00PM and then they would be taken back to their dwellings and roasted. It was a day of preparation because of the work involved in sacrificing the lambs, then roasting them and gathering as a family for the High Sabbath when the lamb would be consumed.

If you are still reading... remember, I said there was a reason for "the Sabbath."

A High Sabbath is called, "Shabbaton" ( שַׁבָּתֹון ) not "Shabbat." The WEEKLY Sabbath is Shabbat, a High Sabbath is Shabbaton. First fruits was harvested on the day after the weekly Sabbath (Shabbat) not after the High Sabbath. So the day AFTER the first weekly Sabbath after Passover is when firstfruits occurred. This is why the church has always celebrated Easter (resurrection day) on a Sunday, the day after the weekly Sabbath after Passover. The idea of a "sunrise service" where Christians face East (the direction of Jerusalem from the west) at sunrise on a Sunday morning is because it was at that time the grave was found to be empty.

3 Days and Nights

He was very clear about the sign... he would be dead 3 days and nights. I propose that Passover, Nisan 14, was on a Thursday. And knowing that in the Jewish mind, ANY PART of a day or night can be counted as a day or night. Therefore, he died at 3:00PM on a Thursday afternoon...

Thursday - day 1 (he died at the 9th hour = 3:00PM)
Thursday night - night 1 (begin High Sabbath)
Friday - day 2 (High Sabbath day)
Friday night - night 2 (end High Sabbath, begin weekly Sabbath)
Saturday - day 3 (Sabbath day)
Saturday night - night 3 (end weekly Sabbath)

By sunrise Sunday morning, the grave was "already" empty for if it weren't, that would be day 4 and that would disqualify him based on his own statement about 3 days and nights.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings Rad. I truly am not trying to deter you in your beliefs, I just wanted to throw this out for consideration.

Matthew 12:40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"

The ninth hour of the day is well accepted to be 3:00PM. A confirming witness comes from Jewish tradition which says that at the same time as this, the last lamb was being offered in the Temple and when the priest would cut its throat he would have announced, "It is finished." Anyway... if Martyr is correct, then this would make the time of death 3:00PM Friday. He was dead 3 days AND nights.So let's just walk it out...

Friday - day 1 (3:00PM)
Friday night - night 1 (begin weekly Sabbath)
Saturday - day 2 (end weekly Sabbath at sundown)
Saturday night - night 2
Sunday - day 3 (tomb was found empty at sunrise - he was already risen)
Sunday night - night 3 (already risen)

You just can't get to three days and nights starting on Friday afternoon when the tomb was empty at sunrise Sunday morning.

The math only works out starting on a Thursday afternoon. I walked it out the same way I just did, in post 7. You can see that here.
Your starting point in counting the number of days and nights is the NUMBER 0. But the number 0 wasn't invented until the 7th century. You are far from proving that "three days and nights" is not a Hebrew idiom which applied in this case actually means two days and two nights.

Further, if Nisan 14 is preparation day and Jesus died on that day (as we agree), then there is a dilemma in placing it on Thur, in that the historical Jewish calendar for the general time frame in question places Nisan 14 on Mon, Wed, Fri, or Sat, never on Sun, Tue or Thur. We cannot take the Matthew text out of its historical context and expect to prove anything. Can you prove historically that all the various Hebraic calendars are wrong?
http://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/?year=...&D=on&d=on&c=off&geo=zip&maj=on&min=on&mod=on
If not, then Justin Martyr's statement cannot be discounted.
TD:)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You are far from proving that "three days and nights" is not a Hebrew idiom which applied in this case actually means two days and two nights.
This and similar so called errors introduced almost 2 thousand years ago for changing Scripture was introduced by the enemy of Christ to change the days and times (along with other direct errors/ deceptions).
Trying to prove a lie or deception is false (when the tradition of men requires the lie to be true) is not something easily accomplished when / while men rely on tradition for the 'proof'.

Upvote 0