Was Jesus A Real Person Or A Spiritual Concept?

Aspect

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2020
California
✟50,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I regard Jesus as an actual historical personage but I also regard "the Christ" as a metaphorical concept built loosely around the historical Jesus.

Jesus himself and St. Paul affixed the "Christ" to Jesus' name quite tightly. Have you ever read the New Testament before?

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Be careful what you read online. Go to scholarly books. On Old Testament archaeology, see these books:

The Stones and the Scriptures, by Yamauchi;
Rocks, Relics and Biblical Reliability, by Wilson.

There is no evidence that David and Solomon are mythical.

As for the historical Jesus, the mythical view is fringe, not held by New Testament scholars and competent authorities.

Read
"The Historical Jesus," by Habermas;
"The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus," by Habermas and Licona.
In support of your post:
To view Jesus as a spiritual entity rather than truly human is to take on the Gnostic heresy. John wrote his gospel, and his first letter to counter it, and that is why he said that "the Word became flesh, and we have seen and handled it". And he said that to test whether a spirit is of God is the acknowledgement that Jesus came in the flesh.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been questioning this for quite some time. It all started when I had read that Jesus traces his lineage to king David not through his mother Mary, but through Joseph. But Joseph did not father Jesus.

I've also recently read an interesting article HERE which seems to prove that king David and king Solomon were never real people and that the temple of king Solomon was mythical. The article goes into a lot of detail about Jehovah's origins, how Mount Zion isn't real and was a mystical mountain in the north pole. How Jews stole bits and pieces of other people's religious ideas to create Judaism. The article gives the etymological history of the word Zion, the name Yahwey, and even where the idea and concept of Satan came from. Are the things in that article true?

I don't know what to think or believe anymore. I'm wondering if the Cathars were right? They believed that the flesh was corrupt and that Jesus, being holy, was never a physical person, but a spiritual concept.

How can we prove to ourselves that Jesus was a historical person, of divine origin?
Greetings and Salutations in the name of the Lord. I can ensure you that Yeshua (hebrew) Jesus (greek) was a real person. He really is who He says He is. You can trust His testimony.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But Joseph did not father Jesus.

So? Jesus was Joseph's legal son and heir.

I've also recently read an interesting article HERE which seems to prove that king David and king Solomon were never real people and that the temple of king Solomon was mythical.

Oh yes, an anti-Christian rant in a "666 paged special edition." Not exactly reliable.

We have archaeological evidence going at least as far back as Hezekiah, Josiah, Omri, and Jehu. Probably there's stuff further back that I don't know about.

The article goes into a lot of detail about Jehovah's origins, how Mount Zion isn't real

It's a hill in Jerusalem. You can visit it: Mount Zion - Wikipedia

Why are you falling for this ridiculous stuff?

How can we prove to ourselves that Jesus was a historical person

This much, no serious historian doubts.

As to divine origin, rising from the dead was a clue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mac777

Nov 13, 2020
midlands
✟15,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Je
I've been questioning this for quite some time. It all started when I had read that Jesus traces his lineage to king David not through his mother Mary, but through Joseph. But Joseph did not father Jesus.

I've also recently read an interesting article HERE which seems to prove that king David and king Solomon were never real people and that the temple of king Solomon was mythical. The article goes into a lot of detail about Jehovah's origins, how Mount Zion isn't real and was a mystical mountain in the north pole. How Jews stole bits and pieces of other people's religious ideas to create Judaism. The article gives the etymological history of the word Zion, the name Yahwey, and even where the idea and concept of Satan came from. Are the things in that article true?

I don't know what to think or believe anymore. I'm wondering if the Cathars were right? They believed that the flesh was corrupt and that Jesus, being holy, was never a physical person, but a spiritual concept.

How can we prove to ourselves that Jesus was a historical person, of divine origin?

Jesus made a promise in the gospels ..." He that seeks will find, to him that asks shall be given"
Rather than continually dig this and that from books, why not go to the source and ask Jesus Himself.

I humbly bear record that if you come unto Him in sincere prayer seeking to know Him, that He exists, that He loves you and has a plan for your life, He will manifest the truth unto you.
For all are precious in His sight and he truly delights in the sincere prayers of all those that seek wisdom , knowlegde and salvation from Him.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0