United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I heard this question asked once, and thought I'd put it out here:

Was Jesus a Plan B? Was God seeing if humanity would be good, but since they didn't, Jesus was the alternative to what was supposed to happen?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know from both Peter and Paul God planned for our salvation in Christ before the foundations of this world.

Ephesians 1:4 For He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in His presence. In love

1 Peter 1:20 He was known before the foundation of the world, but was revealed in the last times for your sake.

This fits perfectly to the Garden of Eden outcome and the progression since. We are here on Earth in order to learn to trust God and to love one another. Growing up takes time!

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Was Jesus a Plan B? Was God seeing if humanity would be good, but since they didn't, Jesus was the alternative to what was supposed to happen?
What convinces me the plan of salvation was determined before the foundations of the world.

Acts 2:23: He was handed over by God’s set plan and foreknowledge, and you, by the hands of the lawless, put Him to death by nailing Him to the cross.

Revelation 13:8: And all who dwell on the earth will worship the beast—all whose names have not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

Also Ephesians 1

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 3:6-11
"through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

I
[Paul] became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of His power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord."

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Jesus being a Plan B would mean God is reacting to what we do.
Like He had a plan A, we messed that up and God had to come up with a new plan.

God knew when He created us with freewill that we would then need a Savior. Jesus Christ is Plan A.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No sir... that would indicate God isn't all knowing and has to do things by trial and error. If that is the case, we can't know for sure He got it write with Christ, either.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus was always Plan A, the way the world would be blessed through Abraham's seed.

However, salvation is from the Jews, the descendants of Abraham through the flesh, and there was a danger of Israel going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah, because of transgression. So, because of transgression, the Law, the Sinaitic Covenant was added. to the Abrahamic Covenant. It preserved Israel, until Christ rose out of her.

Just like God allowed Ishmael to be born, until Isaac was give. I'm sure Abraham and Sarah were pleased, and encouraged, and preserved, by having a son, until the Holy Spirit gifted Sarah a child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You would be interested to see Matthew 23:37-39 in that context. Keep in mind that He hung on the cross for three hours before saying "It is finished".

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Such a conclusion might fit where the Open View looks at God from.

Their erroneous notion is basically that God does not know the future and is therefore "open" to improvising His plans and purpose on the spot, as He goes along, in His response to how man responds to God's will for man.

But in Romans 1:17 - Romans 3:31, the Apostle Paul makes it really obvious that God allowed/has continued to allow man his various and ever endless failures towards His glorying in His Son as the ONLY solution to the fact that man is ever hopeless of continuing patient in well-doing, as God sees such well-doing.

Or as the Apostle Paul also notes in Galatians, an Epistle written with the intent of "correction" (2 Tim 3:16-17) of that aspect of one's understanding not in line with all that doctrine (teaching) laid out by him in Romans...

Galatians 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

What then had been the purpose of all those thou shalt/shalt nots, and all that resulting witness of man's continued failures under the Law (the Old Testament)?

3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Anyway, yours was an excellent question. Hope the above shed some light on where to look at such questions from.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do agree, btw! .. the scriptures express "the end will still come at the appointed time" .. and yet we see in Jesus' faithfulness, perfect patience with the sinners in case they might be able to overcome the adversary and repent unto salvation (1 Corinthians 13:7) .. though it just goes to prove that man cannot save himself (Job 40:8-14, Daniel 4:32).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ephesians 1:4
For He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless in His presence.

1st Corinthians 2

7 We speak of God's hidden and mysterious wisdom that God decided to use for our glory long before the world began.

God has all foreknowledge of everything. God doesn't "wait and see" or have "after thoughts". He knows the beginning to the end and the end to the beginning. He knows all the choices that will be made.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's easy to get confused by incorporating God's omniscience into our reasoning. While God foreknew all, it was plan B from a human perspective. Plan A was the humans would not sin (which is how they were designed, including not having the knowledge of good and evil; they weren't designed for Plan B). They lived in Eden on an earth not tainted with sin. This is what God wanted. Plan A did not have God sacrificing His Son.

From God's perspective everything that will ever happen is Plan A, but humans can't reason along those lines. It would indicate, for example, that everything that happens is what God desired ("Plan A"), but Scripture is clear on almost every page that that is not the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums