• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Was it the translators?

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by visionary, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Heber Book List

Heber Book List Theologian [Applied Theology]

+844
    United Kingdom
    Messianic
    Private
  2. ralliann

ralliann christian

+564
    United States
    Christian
    Widowed
    John the baptizer

3. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,841
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Very good! This what I believe. The evidence that I'm gathering leads me to no other conclusion.

4. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    That would not work well for us LOL..."Jewish Orthodox", "Orthodox Jew" or "Messianic Orthodox Jew" :)

5. Yeshua HaDerekh

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Shalom David,
    John, Polycarp and Ignatius all kept Pesakh. In fact, Polycarp went to Rome and argued with them regarding this. Polycrates of Ephesus (in 193 AD) also argued with Pope Victor of Rome saying:

"We observe the exact day; neither adding, nor taking away. For in Asia also great lights have fallen asleep, which shall rise again on the day of the Lord's coming... All these observed the fourteenth day of the Passover according to the Gospel, deviating in no respect, but following the rule of faith. And I also, Polycrates, the least of you all, do according to the tradition of my relatives, some of whom I have closely followed. For seven of my relatives were bishops; and I am the eighth. And my relatives always observed the day when the people put away the leaven."

6. Open Heart

Open Heart Well-Known Member

+4,330
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    That's not true. I met a Messianic Orthodox Jew at Chabad where I used to go--we lived in the same neighborhood and also attended the same Messianic synagogue together. He and his wife had a humongous family, and made real sacrifices to be Orthodox. He had been Pentecostal before becoming MJ.

7. ralliann

ralliann christian

+564
    United States
    Christian
    Widowed
    But.....it was not an argument over keeping the Jewish Passover, but when to take the eucharist.....or break the fast in doing so

8. ralliann

ralliann christian

+564
    United States
    Christian
    Widowed
    n/t

9. Yeshua HaDerekh

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I guess you didn't get it? I mean Eastern Orthodox

10. Yeshua HaDerekh

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    It was mostly regarding when to end the fast. However, in the end, it was something different in the East than what was done in Rome.

11. Open Heart

+4,330
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    OOOOhhhhhhh. So, why not?

12. Yeshua HaDerekh

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    "Jewish Orthodox", "Orthodox Jew" or "Messianic Orthodox Jew" :) would not work very well LOL...maybe "Jewish Eastern Orthodox"?

13. Open Heart

+4,330
    United States
    Seeker
    Celibate
    Yeah, Jewish Eastern Orthodox works okay. The Eastern Orthodox tend to be much more anti-Jewish than most Christians -- they are still stuck back in the middle ages in this regard. I don't know if they would allow MJ within their ranks. Perhaps if there is a lurking EO in this forum, they could comment.

14. Yeshua HaDerekh

+2,727
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Yeah, I get "Judaizer" alot

15. ChavaK

ChavaK להיות טוב ולעשות טוב

+1,434
    United States
    Judaism
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    So was he actually a Jew, or was he a Gentile?

16. AbbaLove

AbbaLove Circumcision of the Heart is Messianic

+667
    Messianic
    In Relationship
    Peter was both a Messianic Orthodox Hebrew and a Pentecostal Hebrew.​

17. ChavaK

+1,434
    United States
    Judaism
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    In plain English, he wasn't Jewish?

18. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ Christian ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+5,241
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Let's sort this out, there seem to be a couple discussions merging and confusing each other (or maybe I am the confused one....)
    In this post you are asking about the person that @Open Heart knew, yes? The person that attended Chabad with her?

This quote is confusing the discussion as it is referring to Peter, the Apostle, I believe. Calling him a "Messianic Hebrew" would be reasonable, but calling him a Pentecostal Hebrew would be incorrect. You could call Peter a pentecostal Hebrew (small P) and be reasonably correct, but confusing to a casual reader. There were no "Pentecostals" at that time (large "P" as in the Protestant denomination or as in the person @Open Heart knew). If this is not referring to Peter the Apostle but rather the person Open Heart is talking about please accept my apologies.

This quote is asking about the person @AbbaLove is referring to, which I believe is the Apostle Peter, who is not the same person as Open Heart knew from Chabad. I do not think that @AbbaLove knows the same person as Open Heart so would not know the answer....

So to conclude:
    • The person Open Heart knew from Chabad may or may not have been Jewish, we still do not know.
    • This person may or may not have been Jewish, but attended a Pentecostal Church for a while.
    • I believe Abbalove is talking about Peter the Apostle, not the same person as Open Heart knew.
    • Peter the Apostle was almost certainly Jewish and not a "Pentecostal".

19. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ Christian ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+5,241
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Out of curiosity, did he call himself a "Messianic Jew" "Messianic Orthodox Jew" or simply an "Orthodox Jew" that happened to believe that Yeshua was the Messiach? It is my experience that the Jewish people that keep Orthodox custom tend to shy from associating with the "Messianic" term and rather keep their Orthodox identity while believing at the same time.

20. ChavaK

+1,434
    United States
    Judaism
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Correct.

Also correct. I assumed since AbbaLove responded, and with a name, he was talking about the same person as OH. Confusing for sure!