Was it fair to put Adam and Eve to the test?

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This question popped into my grief-addled mind the other night so forgive me first of all for asking it here. Though, I am sure I'm not the first to ask it as nothing under the sun is new on Earth.

Was it fair for Adam and Eve to be put to the test?

Before consuming fruit from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, isn't it fair to say that Adam and Eve didn't have a concept of what Evil was? Was it fair of God to allow the serpent to come to Eve and put ideas into her head that would have otherwise never been there?

If Adam and Eve didn't yet know what evil was, would they have even considered disobeying God on their own had the serpent not come to them? Isn't that a bit like putting a toddler in charge of a nation and saying "Okay you know nothing of ruling or the complexities of right vs wrong or good decisions vs. bad decisions but you have to be in charge and make all the decisions around here now."?

Another question that comes to mind is why did they not die then when God came looking for them? God hides Himself from us and never reveals Himself entirely (He showed only the back of Himself to Moses) because if He did we would surely die due to our sinful nature. After that test, Adam and Eve were sinful in the eyes of the Lord. Why did they not die?

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This question popped into my grief-addled mind the other night so forgive me first of all for asking it here. Though, I am sure I'm not the first to ask it as nothing under the sun is new on Earth.

Before consuming fruit from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, isn't it fair to say that Adam and Eve didn't have a concept of what Evil was? Was it fair of God to allow the serpent to come to Eve and put ideas into her head that would have otherwise never been there?

If Adam and Eve didn't yet know what evil was, would they have even considered disobeying God on their own had the serpent not come to them? Isn't that a bit like putting a toddler in charge of a nation and saying "Okay you know nothing of ruling or the complexities of right vs wrong or good decisions vs. bad decisions but you have to be in charge and make all the decisions around here now."?

Another question that comes to mind is why did they not die then when God came looking for them? God hides Himself from us and never reveals Himself entirely (He showed only the back of Himself to Moses) because if He did we would surely die due to our sinful nature. After that test, Adam and Eve were sinful in the eyes of the Lord. Why did they not die?

This question crossed my mind too a few years ago. I came to understand that God wasn't testing them, I think He was just expecting obedience. They knew He was their creator.

The reason they didn't die is one of my favorite questions to answer! They died spiritually! Sin means a disconnection from God. That disconnection is what makes us sin in the first place. In fact, the word sin in spanish means “without”. We were without God, but then Jesus came to make a way for us to go back to the Father, for us to gave a connection again.

Bob Hamp have five classes called Foundations of Freedom on YouTube, they explain the separation and the connection through Jesus perfectly!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Adam and Eve had a concept of right and wrong, the tree of knowledge gave them understanding of right and wrong. The tree gave them knowledge about evil not of it. I imagine Adam was smarter then what some would think, he did name all the animals.

Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage if Satan didn't tempt eve.

God was looking for them before they were cursed with death.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well, maybe we are being presumptuous in our understanding the maturity of Adam and Eve.
The Tree was the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, this does not imply that Adam was child like, He named the animals and tended things in the Garden.
Genesis 2: 17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. 18. And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

After His commandment to Adam,God made Eve.
Adam certianly warned Eve not to go to this tree.
And notice God did not command Adam not to eat from the Tree of life.
It was curiosity fueled by being tempted from the Serpent that caused Eve to eat of the Tree.
This follows God's law in the New Testament:
Lust when conceived bright fourth sin and sin bringth death.
Eve made a free will Choice to Eat, she lusted for the forbidden fruit.
God never has or will allow us to be tempted beyond our means of choice.
God has and will always have a means of escape.
Eve had a aliby in the Serpent, she sinned willingly to blame the Serpent later.
It was her lust that the Serpent used to decieve.
But it was her free will to walk away, or cry out to God.
This is only opinion, but when Adam saw the sin on Eve I personally Believe He ate of the fruit because of his love for Eve.
Terrified by God's anger you hear him Blame God!
It was the Woman you gave me!
First Eve the Serpent beguiled me! Then Adam the Woman you made!
Both of them chose to sin, and were ashamed.
God rent or tore the skins of animals to cover their sin.
The first blood sacarfice was by God and so was the last.

As far as seeing God that is not a problem.
Man walked with God on Earth through Christ Emanuel God with us.
As well the Holy Spirit was there.
And God the Father from above could have looked down and spoke to them.
God is three persons yet one.
In Hebrew translation God is plural in meaning.

I hope this helped
God Bless

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Adam and Eve had a concept of right and wrong, the tree of knowledge gave them understanding of right and wrong. The tree gave them knowledge about evil not of it. I imagine Adam was smarter then what some would think, he did name all the animals.

Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage if Satan didn't tempt eve.

God was looking for them before they were cursed with death.

Again this confuses me because knowing that something exists doesn't equate knowing about it. A child might hear about death and know that it exists and that it's generally something people don't like to talk about without understanding what it truly is.

Eve was going about life and didn't ever have a single thought about becoming like God or going against his orders. None. She didn't have any of those thoughts in her head until the serpent came and put them there. She was innocent until the serpent came and tainted her thoughts. And even then she didn't have any real knowledge about what evil was. Sure she probably knew it existed but she didn't know what it truly was because she had no thoughts of partaking in it prior to the serpent coming.

As for unfair advantage, how so? God loved Adam and Eve. How would allowing them to live in obedience to him without being exposed to something He abhors be bad? They had free will and they chose to obey him until the serpent came along and introduced a concept that they could only understand to a certain degree.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This question crossed my mind too q few years ago. I came to understand that God wasn't testing them, I think He was just expecting obedience. They knew He was their creator.

The reason they didn't die is one of my favorite questions to answer! They died spiritually! Sin means a disconnection from God. That disconnection is what makes us sin in the first place. In fact, the word sin in spanish means “without”. We were without God, but then Jesus came to make a way for usnto go back to the Father, for us to gave a connection again.

Bob Hamp have five classes called Foundations of Freedom on YouTube, they explain the separation and the connection through Jesus perfectly!

Then why did God make it a point to not show Himself to other humans down the line with the excuse that to see Him is to die on the spot? If we are already dead spiritually then it doesn't make sense that God would show Himself to Adam and Eve after they sinned (and even Cain and Abel) and they didn't physically die on the spot but then not show Himself to other humans down the line with the excuse that they will physically die right then and there.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Well, maybe we are being presumptuous in our understanding the maturity of Adam and Eve.
The Tree was the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, this does not imply that Adam was child like, He named the animals and tended things in the Garden.
Genesis 2: 17. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. 18. And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

After His commandment to Adam,God made Eve.
Adam certianly warned Eve not to go to this tree.
And notice God did not command Adam not to eat from the Tree of life.
It was curiosity fueled by being tempted from the Serpent that caused Eve to eat of the Tree.
This follows God's law in the New Testament:
Lust when conceived bright fourth sin and sin bringth death.
Eve made a free will Choice to Eat, she lusted for the forbidden fruit.
God never has or will allow us to be tempted beyond our means of choice.
God has and will always have a means of escape.
Eve had a aliby in the Serpent, she sinned willingly to blame the Serpent later.
It was her lust that the Serpent used to decieve.
But it was her free will to walk away, or cry out to God.
This is only opinion, but when Adam saw the sin on Eve I personally Believe He ate of the fruit because of his love for Eve.
Terrified by God's anger you hear him Blame God!
It was the Woman you gave me!
First Eve the Serpent beguiled me! Then Adam the Woman you made!
Both of them chose to sin, and were ashamed.
God rent or tore the skins of animals to cover their sin.
The first blood sacarfice was by God and so was the last.

As far as seeing God that is not a problem.
Man walked with God on Earth through Christ Emanuel God with us.
As well the Holy Spirit was there.
And God the Father from above could have looked down and spoke to them.
God is three persons yet one.
In Hebrew translation God is plural in meaning.

I hope this helped
God Bless

So does this mean that Eve was not made with the same purity as Adam? Then it would be fair to say that women are vastly inferior creatures to men (which is what was thought for hundreds of thousands of years) and yet we don't see Jesus treat women as if they are inferior.

And as far as Jeus being God on Earth, yes that's correct but what about before Jesus came to Earth as a man. How does it explain not revealing Himself to other humans after Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel?

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
So does this mean that Eve was not made with the same purity as Adam? Then it would be fair to say that women are vastly inferior creatures to men (which is what was thought for hundreds of thousands of years) and yet we don't see Jesus treat women as if they are inferior.

And as far as Jeus being God on Earth, yes that's correct but what about before Jesus came to Earth as a man. How does it explain not revealing Himself to other humans after Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel?

We don't know who was on the Plains of Mamre with Abraham
We know two Angels went to Sodom but Abraham negotiated with the Lord not to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.
Genesis 18: 13. And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? 14. Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son. 15. Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh. 16. And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way. 17. And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; 18. Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? 19. For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. 20. And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

God is all powerful and has come to earth in his natural form, the Lord
Before.
We have to discern the narrative as in the case of Moses.
Moses could have been on the mount with God the persons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As you know life isn't fair.:cool:

The answer to your question is it was MORE THAN FAIR to put them to the test. Indeed, given what they had in Eden, it was not even a difficult test. Yet they failed.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 2: 12. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again this confuses me because knowing that something exists doesn't equate knowing about it. A child might hear about death and know that it exists and that it's generally something people don't like to talk about without understanding what it truly is.

Eve was going about life and didn't ever have a single thought about becoming like God or going against his orders. None. She didn't have any of those thoughts in her head until the serpent came and put them there. She was innocent until the serpent came and tainted her thoughts. And even then she didn't have any real knowledge about what evil was. Sure she probably knew it existed but she didn't know what it truly was because she had no thoughts of partaking in it prior to the serpent coming.

As for unfair advantage, how so? God loved Adam and Eve. How would allowing them to live in obedience to him without being exposed to something He abhors be bad? They had free will and they chose to obey him until the serpent came along and introduced a concept that they could only understand to a certain degree.
I can't imagine that God would create Adam to that child like, and I would think wouldn't just tell Adam and Eve something that they wouldn't understand, like a parent does with a child.

Eve had a choice to obey or not, she disobeyed, she had a choice to not listen to the serpent as well.

If God says Adam and evey were guilty of sin, then they deffinitly were, God knows how to judge. I'm not sure if you're trying to figure out how God is right or if, I'm not accusing you of judging God, but it needs to be said we have no place in doing so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then why did God make it a point to not show Himself to other humans down the line with the excuse that to see Him is to die on the spot? If we are already dead spiritually then it doesn't make sense that God would show Himself to Adam and Eve after they sinned (and even Cain and Abel) and they didn't physically die on the spot but then not show Himself to other humans down the line with the excuse that they will physically die right then and there.

They would physically die because their sinful bodies weren't prepared to handle His glory. Thats why Moses face was glowing after he was in God’s presence, it was too much. He even had to cover his face for a few days after the encounter. Even Jesus said we will have a glorified body in heaven, it will be one prepared for heaven. That’s why he told Mary Magdalene not to touch Him when he resurrected. After He was resurrected he was even able to walk through walls, something this body can’t do.

• Agree
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
They would physically die because their sinful bodies weren't prepared to handle His glory. Thats why Moses face was glowing after he was in God’s presence, it was too much. He even had to cover his face for a few days after the encounter. Even Jesus said we will have a glorified body in heaven, it will be one prepared for heaven. That’s why he told Mary Magdalene not to touch Him when he resurrected. After He was resurrected he was even able to walk through walls, something this body can’t do.

So does this mean that Adam and Eve were not as sinful or depraved as Moses was after they sinned? Because when God found them after they hid they didn't die right away physically. In fact, it took them 900ish years to die naturally and even their sons Cain and Abel got to see God without dying.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I can't imagine that God would create Adam to that child like, and I would think wouldn't just tell Adam and Eve something that they wouldn't understand, like a parent does with a child.

Eve had a choice to obey or not, she disobeyed, she had a choice to not listen to the serpent as well.

If God says Adam and evey were guilty of sin, then they deffinitly were, God knows how to judge. I'm not sure if you're trying to figure out how God is right or if, I'm not accusing you of judging God, but it needs to be said we have no place in doing so.

God does not Change, what he said will come to pass.
But God's love has given us his everlasting Grace

Reactions: Innerfire89
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
This question crossed my mind too q few years ago. I came to understand that God wasn't testing them, I think He was just expecting obedience. They knew He was their creator.

The reason they didn't die is one of my favorite questions to answer! They died spiritually! Sin means a disconnection from God. That disconnection is what makes us sin in the first place. In fact, the word sin in spanish means “without”. We were without God, but then Jesus came to make a way for usnto go back to the Father, for us to gave a connection again.

There is the thought that God needs permission to bring down his wrath.
Being unchangeable is the only thing that constrains God, and that is because He is the God of all creation.
In Job, God raises his headge of protection, and allows Satan to punish Job out of His hatred for God and His Creation.

This caused Job to be tormented not by God or even a act of God.

Job 1: 4. And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. 5. And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

Job was covering the sins of his sons rather than commanding them to repent.

Upvote 0

Innerfire89

Jul 17, 2017
Newton
✟13,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So does this mean that Adam and Eve were not as sinful or depraved as Moses was after they sinned? Because when God found them after they hid they didn't die right away physically. In fact, it took them 900ish years to die naturally and even their sons Cain and Abel got to see God without dying.

Why did the death of Adam and Eve have to be instant upon the eating of the fruit? God said they would die and they did.
Cain didn't see God, he heard God.

Upvote 0