Was I in the wrong in the way I tried to defend God?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why is it not respectful to tell your parents that you're doing something so bad that God commanded people to be put to death for it in the OT? I admit that I probably messed up telling her that she's going to hell, because, if you believe on Jesus, you won't. However, I mean, but if she's not Christian, then am I wrong!?!? What kind of Christian rejects what God says in the Bible and says that the word of God is evil!? I have tried to do this in patience before, MANY TIMES. However, it's been YEARS where she's done this over and over and over.

As for how I should of gone about it, what about rebuking sharply? What about how it says in Luke 12:53, "The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law"?

I don't see much about sharp rebuking in scripture.

"Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth..." 2 Timothy 2:25

"Be merciful to those who doubt..." Jude 22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Look, you don't seem to understand. I'm two seconds away from telling her, you know what? If you don't stop insulting God's word, then I'm going to leave.
Maybe it's time to get your own place.

Even if you had the wisdom of Solomon and were able to overwhelmingly and rationally point out her errors to the point where she stops what she has been saying over the years. There's the saying, a person convinced against their will; is of the same opinion still.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I think if someone is teaching strange ideas - especially those that compromise the Gospel - we are to rebuke, but if someone has weak faith, we are to be merciful and gentle.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, it is wrong. People do not have to believe the Bible is inerrant. Disagreement with biblical interpretation is not a reason to consign someone to Hell.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So my mother claims to be Christian, but she recently said that a certain part of the Bible was wrong. This isn't the first time that she's said some seriously wrong things about the scripture. However, this time I told her, as soon as she said it, that she was going to hell (it was kind of spontaneous because I was fed up with her making these little jabs at scripture all the same). Then I told her that I was serious and she responded with a "Wow...". Then, I told her, "Well, let me rephrase that. What you said is worthy of hell" and then I questioned her about if she even believes at all, saying because Christians will not go to hell. I question from time to time if she's even Christian and it feels like I'm coming closer and closer to a realization that she's not and it makes me so sad. Did I make a mistake or should I stick to my guns and tell her that I'm not sorry for defending God's word and that I'm sick of her speaking evil of it (even though she claims to be Christian!).
Let me ask you, do you believe today EXACTLY as you did 5 years ago in terms of your understanding of God? Do you expect to learn more in the coming 5 years or remain exactly where you are now?

I expect I know your answers and my point would be a simple one, you are not a finished product and our growth and understanding will continue until we are with the Lord or He is here and we are perfected. To then use your current understanding as the measuring stick to judge others isn't wise. We are not saved by our knowledge, we are saved by Jesus' work. What HE DID is what was necessary... what He expects of us is a pure submissive heart aimed at God. If you mom has that, then what might be a wrong answer today will likely be a step toward deeper understanding tomorrow. She will grow and isn't "finished" any more than you are.

Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm two seconds away from telling her, you know what? If you don't stop insulting God's word, then I'm going to leave.
Maybe that's what you should do, and if you were my child, I'd let you do it.

You need to understand that not all Christians are going to believe as you do. You're more likely to "win her over" (or lose her respect) with your attitude than anything else.

This advice, of course, assumes you aren't a troll.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Nice work"... Wow, just wow. Thanks for your "help". I'm wrong for trying to defend the Bible against her blasphemy that she still refuses to recant?

Yes, you are wrong. You can alienate your mother over ideas if you choose, nobody will stop you. And nobody will ever reward you for it either, not in this world or the next. You will simply cut a REAL tie with a REAL person, forever, your life's biggest fan, in favor of your own fantasy idea about a book, that will never hold you, never love you, and that ultimately will not come through for you.

God might - though he said to honor your mother. If you choose to cut off your mother over a book, you can feel as mighty about it as you want to, but throughout your life, and at the end of it, you will discover that you were wrong.

You want power that you will never have, and figure that devotion to a book, which has no mind and no feelings, will grant you that power. It won't. Ever.

This is a fight you will lose again and again and again over the course of your lifetime. You have no power over your mother. God will never grant you the leverage to exercise that power. You cannot estrange a book and it cannot love you, because it's a book - a printed object. You can estrange your mother and be poorer for it, for life.

You will do as you please, of course, so there's no point in my arguing about it.
But yes, you're wrong, and you should give up the fight and apologize. She thinks what she thinks, you think what you think. You probably can't talk about religion at present, but if you're going to throw your mother away over a book, you're committing idolatry. You just won't accept that, yet.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So my mother claims to be Christian, but she recently said that a certain part of the Bible was wrong. This isn't the first time that she's said some seriously wrong things about the scripture. However, this time I told her, as soon as she said it, that she was going to hell (it was kind of spontaneous because I was fed up with her making these little jabs at scripture all the same). Then I told her that I was serious and she responded with a "Wow...". Then, I told her, "Well, let me rephrase that. What you said is worthy of hell" and then I questioned her about if she even believes at all, saying because Christians will not go to hell. I question from time to time if she's even Christian and it feels like I'm coming closer and closer to a realization that she's not and it makes me so sad. Did I make a mistake or should I stick to my guns and tell her that I'm not sorry for defending God's word and that I'm sick of her speaking evil of it (even though she claims to be Christian!).

Yeah you did.

So off of her making (from your view btw, idk she may be right about some scriptures, or you may be wrong), but I'll take it that she is wrongfully interpreting stuff. So off of her just wrongfully interpreting. Instead of disciplining her, you sentence her.

You're not defending God's word, you defending your pride and the shame you feel when you are around your mother. That's a heart issue. If you're like that around your mom, I can't imagine how you're being effective with people who are not family or you don't know.

But while you still have breath, you can ask for forgiveness. From God and your mom. And check your heart, and your tactics. There are a million other approaches that doesn't involve degrade the other person. That's not your job, let the Word itself convict them. Your job is to share information and not downgrade the message by being a hypocrite, so holding yourself to the same standards. That's it.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"Nice work"... Wow, just wow. Thanks for your "help". I'm wrong for trying to defend the Bible against her blasphemy that she still refuses to recant? No, she's losing spiritual influence with ME. The more she blasphemes and speaks evil of dignities, the more she's driving me away. I have tried to show her! However, she just doesn't care man. This is why I finally got frustrated with her making ANOTHER jab at God and said you know what... and the rest is history.

If you are on Christian advice, imma assume that you are open for things that would help, and not to have your ears tickled.

And your mom, that's the person that aid your existence. Respect that.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Saying that she doesn't believe a particular part of scripture doesn't mean that one doesn't believe in God or going to hell. Of course, that may depend on what she said was wrong but I never like telling anyone that they are going to hell. Saying such things to your mother would seem to be very disrespectful but I don't know your mother or the discussions you have which bring these things up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New Birth

Jan 18, 2019
Vicksburg
✟22,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Married
"Nice work"... Wow, just wow. Thanks for your "help". I'm wrong for trying to defend the Bible against her blasphemy that she still refuses to recant? No, she's losing spiritual influence with ME. The more she blasphemes and speaks evil of dignities, the more she's driving me away. I have tried to show her! However, she just doesn't care man. This is why I finally got frustrated with her making ANOTHER jab at God and said you know what... and the rest is history.
someone has to stand up with boldness in this generation. Good Job!

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd say you're not wrong in principle, but rather in application. Will non Christian's go to hell, yes. Should we tell the truth, yes, but in love not in anger.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has a path to take in order to come to the truth. Some find it easily and obvious and others take much longer to be convinced. But it is not about how you feel, it is about your influence. Regeneration through the Holy Spirit is the only outwardly sign we have to go with however, inwardly only God knows the heart. So rather than condemn your mother for questioning scripture, take it upon yourself with the guidance of the Holy Spirit to address her concerns. Get into her reasoning and come back with solid answers.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We Christians run around disagreeing with one another's interpretations of the Bible every single day, but condemning one another to hell because we disagree is something we can't do. God decides who is saved and who is not and we neither know God's heart or those we are speaking to. So, we leave damnation to hell in His quite capable Hand.

Also, pastors who Bible-thump a womans "place" get disagreed with most of all.. I'm not a feminist, far from it, and I believe women should submit to their husbands but there are preachers whose opinions of what that looks like even I would be quick to disagree with.

So, is she disagreeing with the Bible? Or with the words she heard? Likely the later.

Children are to respect their parents. If you believe in Christ, you respect them.

You respect them even if they aren't believers because you are the light of Christ in their lives. You pray for them, and love them as Christ loves them.

Your place as a child is far overstepped in condemning your own mother to hell. I wouldn't do that to even my truly unbelieving parent who practices a different faith... how utterly shocking for you to do this to yours. If you believe someone is lost you gently guide them in love.. and you never disrespect a parent.

It's sounds like this pastor your folllowing is a bad influence and isn't teaching Christianity at all.. I would say you should definitely find a better Pastor.

• Winner
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Just Give Me Jesus

Feb 13, 2019
Midwest
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I probably would've handled it more gently, but I greatly admire your zeal for the Word of God. It's not our place to judge a person's soul, only their actions. Hebrews 4:12 comes to mind. The Father knows each and every one of us inside and out, far better than we can even know ourselves. Let Him be the final judge on not only your approach, but the heart from which it came. Likewise, let Him be the final judge on the condition of your mother's heart as well. We don't need to accuse someone of not being a Christian, we can simply ask them (gently), and wait for them to search their own hearts on the matter. For example: "Mom, Jesus says if you love me, you'll obey my commandments. (John 14:15 & 23) You say you love Jesus, yet you disagree with His commandments. There seems to be a disconnect there. I think maybe you need to pray about that and ask Him why. Ask Him to show you what it is that's keeping you from obeying (hence, more fully loving) Him." I would also encourage you to share this verse with her, and to continually pray it over yourself. It's one of my favorites for keeping my own heart in check: "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalms 139:23‭-‬24). It's a wonderful verse even for those days we might think we're "doin pretty good." We never know what might be hiding in there. Even if it's just the tiniest little speck, I want Jesus to get it out of there. Here's another one, this just popped up on my verse of the day: "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."
(Philippians 2:3). Also, there's a really fantastic guy I've just recently come across, whose doctrine and teachings have so far been 100% spot on. Here's the link to one of his articles that may be of some help to you in this situation: Unbiblical Cop-outs: Don't Judge Me!
I wouldn't get too caught up in debating the Word with your mother, or anyone for that matter. The Bible warns us against that in Titus 3: "But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself." Titus 3:9‭-‬11. You already know the Bible to be true, that's Christianity 101. Either she believes in it or she doesn't. That's gotta be up to her. If not for the Word of God, what is it any of us are basing our faith on? For "faith come by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." Romans 10:17. "This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." Joshua 1:8.
"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord ; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." Psalms 1:1‭-‬2.
If she needs help finding something or understanding it, be there to help wherever you can, with the leading of the Holy Spirit. But don't get tangled up in useless debates when she may not even accept whatever you take the time to show her or study for her. In teaching her, if the time comes that she will allow you, always look for the heart of God in the passages that are hard to understand. For example, with submission. Submission keeps our hearts humble. Jesus Himself was submissive to the Father, husbands are to be submissive to the Son, (Christ is the head of the church), and wives are to be submissive to their husbands (as is fitting in the Lord, never in a way that opposes or dishonors Him). Submission has never just been for wives, so I'm not sure why that topic gets so cherry picked. It's all throughout the entire Word of God. And it's a beautiful heart, the one that fully submits to the God Most High. We've got a Messiah who washed his disciples feet, but wives who can't make a sandwich. That's pride in it's haughtiest form, and it's ugly. As far as husbands that abuse their wives, or the commandment to submit, I would "submit" to them Luke 12:42-46: "And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his Lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath. But and if that servant say in his heart, My Lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; The Lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers." (We should also be checking our own hearts toward our fellow Christians with those verses). And also Hebrews 10:31: "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." But let's be sure we're doing everything the Holy Spirit leads "us" and calls us to do, and leave other people's actions on them.
As for her attitude toward the pastor on tv; a lot of that stuff "is" cr__, so I would avoid inundating her with their teachings. It could prove far more harmful than good in the end. It sounds like she has a root of bitterness in her heart. Pray that God will reveal that and begin to heal and restore her from the pain others may have inflicted. There may be things the Lord decides to unveil that will bring her to a fully repentant (and joyful) heart. Remember, it is the Holy Spirit that brings Jesus' teachings to our remembrance, and we have no need that man should teach us. Stay intimate with the Lord thorough His precious Word and ask to be continually filled with his Holy Spirit. He will bless you in ways you could never imagine.
There may come a day when you need to simply "shake the dust off your feet." If that happens you still must do it in a spirit of love. A heart that says, "I will always love you, but I choose Jesus, and I pray that someday you will too."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,224,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
MOD HAT ON
from the SoP:
We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Christian Advice forum
Posts that debate rather than advise will also be deleted and the member may be banned from the thread.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In spite of your perspective, you do realize this isn't about you, right?

It sounds like you are not listening to those who you have asked for help.
I guess now you get the whole story.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is not always God's words.

Sometimes it's God's record of human words and actions.

• Agree
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What about how the Bible says to rebuke sharply that others may fear? What about what the Bible says about how bad blasphemy is? And, ok, then I was thinking about apologizing for saying that she was going to hell. I'd then tell her that I don't know if you are or not because that's between you and God if you really believe. Then I'd say that blasphemy is not funny and that if you continue to do it, then it will damage our relationship and that I may have to leave and not talk to her anymore if you're going to continue to speak badly of God's word. I mean, if I tell her I'm sorry for telling her that what she said is worthy of hell, then I might as well be apologizing for telling her that blasphemy is something God takes so seriously that people were EXECUTED for it at one time in our religion, during the Old Covenant.

Here's the bottom line. I refuse to apologize for telling her that you can't blaspheme and that it was horribly wrong and that I'm tired of it. Beyond that, what wiggle room should I have and what should I say? I do plan to say that of course I love you mother (definitely). I'm sorry for being so hasty (maybe), but I can't take this anymore and you can't keep blaspheming like that (definitely) or something like that.
I can't tell from your description what your arrangement with your mother is, but I'm guessing there's more going on here than what you have told us (not that you have been hiding anything, but that is simply the way it goes). I will tell you of a similar situation with me and my wife.

I am Reformed in my theology and convictions, if anything. My wife was very much the opposite. Both of us believed things the other considered both monstrous and blasphemous. That did not relieve either of us of the need to get along with each other. We both believed it would be wrong to divorce. My wife was contentious, I was not brought up that way, but I would not change my convictions to suit her. We couldn't even continue to go to the same church. It was a huge problem, but I did not see the need to do more than to answer her questions when she asked them. It did no good for her to tell me I was an unbeliever, nor would it have done any good for me to tell her the same. I didn't, and while she never stopped being contentious, she did wind down after many years, and hardly ever brought up the subject any more. There was no happy ending, and neither of us convinced the other, but we were not continuously at each other's throat about it.

If my wife had stopped being contentious, both she and I may have learned something about what the other believed that was good to know, if not even to agree with.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

IMO you owe your mother an apology. However wrong she might be about anything, it is not given us power or authority to declare whether a person is going to heaven or hell. That is God's exclusive prerogative. You are okay if you kindly and respectfully offer what you believe to be the correct interpretation of Scripture, but it is not your job to make anybody believe or not believe. You can arrange the introduction, but let God take it from there.

I shudder to think how many people have been driven away from opportunity to know the Christ by being told they are going to hell or otherwise because of the unattractive, unappealing, insulting way He was presented to them.

e96309a9af1d402da1e9f43dba762b88.jpg

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0