Results are only viewable after voting.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
cristoiglesia said:
Whether the Roman see separated from the east or vice versa is the topic of another discussion. The fundamental thing is that neither the East nor the West denied the orthodoxy of the Ecumenical Councils nor introduced new doctrines or practices that conflicts with the teaching of the apostles as did the Reformers introducing the elimination of valid clergy, forbiding or perverting the Eucharist. Nor did they attempt to remove Scripture that disagreed with their doctrines like the Protestants. According to the Council of Dort they even changed the Gospel to mean that Christ did not die for all men but just the elect without the element of free will.

In Christ
Fr. Joseph

Please see my last post about the ecumenism of Paul and the testimony of the holy spirit. But once again, all of those people, all the ones whose acts you disagree with, they are all dead. Every single one without exception is dead and buried and gone to meet our maker. What matters to me today is the life I lead, everyone has got to try really hard if they want to bear good fruit.

Another way of putting it is that you'll never see good fruit if you are looking at the roots.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
I <3 Abraham said:
Please see my last post about the ecumenism of Paul and the testimony of the holy spirit. But once again, all of those people, all the ones whose acts you disagree with, they are all dead. Every single one without exception is dead and buried and gone to meet our maker. What matters to me today is the life I lead, everyone has got to try really hard if they want to bear good fruit.

Another way of putting it is that you'll never see good fruit if you are looking at the roots.

Unless, of course you are speaking of potatoes or peanuts.

In Christ,:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
JimfromOhio said:
When I first read Luther's 95 theses, I finally understood WHY reformation happened.

That is good Jim but one must be careful and not assume things like the Church was guilty of some or all of the topics that Luther proposed to debate. He simply, for the most part felt that the Church would benefit from such a discussioon.

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, if I have to answer -

I believe it was a movement devised by men and guided by a spirit of dissent.
Were there changes that needed to be made? Yup.
Were the changes addressed constructively or destructively? I believe that the denominational chaos which we see today is ultimately harmful, especially since I believe that the initial concerns of the reformers could have been addressed in a more constructive manner.

Respectfully,
Matthew

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The true answer is that it was Luther who was behind the Reformation.

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Who would have wanted to begin preaching, had we known beforehand that so much disaster, riotousness, scandal, sacrilege, ingratitude [i.e., towards himself], and wickedness were to follow. But now . . . we have to pay for it.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](Works, Erlangen, 50,74; in 1538)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]I have well nigh given up all hope for Germany, for . . . wickedness and roguery are reigning everywhere . . . and added to all else contempt of the Word.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1](Letter to Anton Lauterbach, November 1541)[/SIZE]

taken from here: http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ269.HTM

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KEPLER

Crux sola est nostra theologia
Mar 23, 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
✟12,398.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Asinner said:
[SIZE=-1]Even so, despite frequent bouts of self-condemnation, he did not renounce his supposed absolute certainty concerning the "Gospel" which he felt he had restored from the ashes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Perhaps the ultimate tragic contradiction in Luther is his simultaneous assertion of private judgment over against Church Tradition, and denial of the same right to his fellow Protestant sectarians, consigning all of them to damnation for not accepting his "clear" dogmatic statements of the truths of Christianity. In so doing, he had absurdly evolved full circle from "Here I stand - - I can do no other" to "This I declare - - you can believe no other," and made himself an intolerant autocrat unequaled by any other major and important figure in Church history (with the possible exception of Calvin). He sanctioned censorship of non-Lutheran works, forcible suppression of the Mass, and capital punishment for wide-ranging theological errors determined by his magisterium of one (e.g., the Anabaptists).[/SIZE]

taken from here: http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ269.HTM

1) A highly dubious source of information.
2) A very questionable interpretation of events.
3) Pot calling the kettle black.

Kepler

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
KEPLER said:

Kepler
LOL, what would ever give you those ideas?

Maybe it was after seeing this picture of Martin Luther you began to question? :D
1.gif

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
nephilimiyr said:
LOL, what would ever give you those ideas?

Maybe it was after seeing this picture of Martin Luther you began to question? :D
1.gif

LOL!!! Have you been saving that picture for a time like this?

In Christ
Fr. Joseph:crossrc:

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
InnerPhyre said:
Did Paul view the Gnostics and the Judaizers as part of his church? They believed in Christ, but held views that Paul felt were heretical.

I'm lost to know what this has to do with the subject at hand...

If you want to discuss who is and is not a Christian, that seems like a different topic for a different thread and day.

MY point was that Christianity is a religion, not a political institutional denomination or legal entity; that we are Christians by virtue of our faith in Christ not our legal status in an institution. I don't expect or ask any Catholics to agree with me on that.

I did not argue that nonchristians are Christians or that nonchristians are a part of His church.

MY $0.01...

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
KEPLER said:

Kepler

Certainly the protestants view Luther differently than Catholics. I referenced his quotes because they back the claim I stated earlier that he felt sad over the schisms. Do you dispute the quotes?

God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." The Parable of the Weeds

24Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.

27"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'

28" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
"The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'

29" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

Reactions: cristoiglesia
Upvote 0

jwill03189

No Longer A Newbie, But Not A Regular
Feb 4, 2006
✟7,707.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
CaliforniaJosiah said:
I'm lost to know what this has to do with the subject at hand...

If you want to discuss who is and is not a Christian, that seems like a different topic for a different thread and day.

MY point was that Christianity is a religion, not a political institutional denomination or legal entity; that we are Christians by virtue of our faith in Christ not our legal status in an institution. I don't expect or ask any Catholics to agree with me on that.

I did not argue that nonchristians are Christians or that nonchristians are a part of His church.

MY $0.01...

Pax.

- Josiah

Very true :amen: .

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
cristoiglesia said:
LOL!!! Have you been saving that picture for a time like this?

In Christ
Fr. Joseph:crossrc:
LOL, no, I visited the site and copied the pic to my computer then downloaded it to the hotlink site that I have.

Boy does he look angry!

Upvote 0