• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Was God behind the Reformation?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Jig, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I <3 Abraham

I <3 Abraham Go Cubbies!

+189
    United Ch. of Christ
    Please see my last post about the ecumenism of Paul and the testimony of the holy spirit. But once again, all of those people, all the ones whose acts you disagree with, they are all dead. Every single one without exception is dead and buried and gone to meet our maker. What matters to me today is the life I lead, everyone has got to try really hard if they want to bear good fruit.

Another way of putting it is that you'll never see good fruit if you are looking at the roots.

2. IgnatiusOfAntioch

IgnatiusOfAntioch Contributor

+448
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    No, not God. It was just some men establishing their own doctrines.

3. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    In what way?

4. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    Unless, of course you are speaking of potatoes or peanuts.

In Christ,:crossrc:
    Fr. Joseph

5. JimfromOhio

JimfromOhio Life of Trials :)

+3,369
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    When I first read Luther's 95 theses, I finally understood WHY reformation happened.

6. I <3 Abraham

I <3 Abraham Go Cubbies!

+189
    United Ch. of Christ
    It was just a little snippet, but I think it got my point across.

7. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    That is good Jim but one must be careful and not assume things like the Church was guilty of some or all of the topics that Luther proposed to debate. He simply, for the most part felt that the Church would benefit from such a discussioon.

In Christ:crossrc:
    Fr. Joseph

8. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married
    I did and I agree.

In Christ:crossrc:
    Fr. Joseph

9. Woodsy

Woodsy Returned From Afar. Supporter

+265
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well, if I have to answer -

I believe it was a movement devised by men and guided by a spirit of dissent.
    Were there changes that needed to be made? Yup.
    Were the changes addressed constructively or destructively? I believe that the denominational chaos which we see today is ultimately harmful, especially since I believe that the initial concerns of the reformers could have been addressed in a more constructive manner.

Respectfully,
    Matthew

10. Asinner

Asinner Seeking Salvation

+324
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    The true answer is that it was Luther who was behind the Reformation.

[SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE=-1]Who would have wanted to begin preaching, had we known beforehand that so much disaster, riotousness, scandal, sacrilege, ingratitude [i.e., towards himself], and wickedness were to follow. But now . . . we have to pay for it.[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1](Works, Erlangen, 50,74; in 1538)[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1]I have well nigh given up all hope for Germany, for . . . wickedness and roguery are reigning everywhere . . . and added to all else contempt of the Word.[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=-1](Letter to Anton Lauterbach, November 1541)[/SIZE]

taken from here: http://ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ269.HTM

11. KEPLER

KEPLER Crux sola est nostra theologia

+214
    Lutheran
    Married
    1) A highly dubious source of information.
    2) A very questionable interpretation of events.
    3) Pot calling the kettle black.

Kepler

12. nephilimiyr

nephilimiyr I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open

+1,542
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    LOL, what would ever give you those ideas?

Maybe it was after seeing this picture of Martin Luther you began to question? :D
    [​IMG]

13. cristoiglesia

cristoiglesia Veteran

+68
    Utrecht
    Married

LOL!!! Have you been saving that picture for a time like this?

In Christ
    Fr. Joseph:crossrc:

14. CaliforniaJosiah

CaliforniaJosiah Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,233
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Republican

I'm lost to know what this has to do with the subject at hand...

If you want to discuss who is and is not a Christian, that seems like a different topic for a different thread and day.

MY point was that Christianity is a religion, not a political institutional denomination or legal entity; that we are Christians by virtue of our faith in Christ not our legal status in an institution. I don't expect or ask any Catholics to agree with me on that.

I did not argue that nonchristians are Christians or that nonchristians are a part of His church.

MY $0.01...

Pax.

- Josiah

15. Asinner

Asinner Seeking Salvation

+324
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Certainly the protestants view Luther differently than Catholics. I referenced his quotes because they back the claim I stated earlier that he felt sad over the schisms. Do you dispute the quotes?

God Bless :)

16. GraceInHim

GraceInHim † Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †

+871
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown." The Parable of the Weeds

24Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away.

27"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'

28" 'An enemy did this,' he replied.
    "The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'

29" 'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may root up the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.' "

17. jwill03189

jwill03189 No Longer A Newbie, But Not A Regular

+2
    Non-Denom
    Private

18. jwill03189

jwill03189 No Longer A Newbie, But Not A Regular

+2
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Very true :amen: .

19. gal4God

gal4God Support Team

+237
    United Kingdom
    Methodist
    In Relationship
    UK-Labour
    probley.if it wasn't 4 Luther we would all be cathoics, and cathoic tradions don't suit every1. i think its coolthat we can Worship God in the way we find more meaningfull.

20. nephilimiyr

nephilimiyr I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open

+1,542
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    LOL, no, I visited the site and copied the pic to my computer then downloaded it to the hotlink site that I have.

Boy does he look angry!