Was Gettysburg Really a Major Defeat for the South?

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was listening to a Gary Gallagher lecture series [and a recent book I read supports him] and he said that in 1863 the south did not view Gettysburg as a defeat, but as a draw on the battlefield and many considered the campaign a success even thoe it fell short of its major goal to win a major victory over the army of the Potomac and earn peace. He mentioned how the south was not driven from the field they simply failed to remove the federals from the field and since they were not driven from it, it was viewed by most at the time as a draw. Some southern soldiers [and populous, newspapers etc] viewed it as a victory since they won day 1 and drove the federals back and than maintained position day 2 and 3.

There was no spirit of defeat in the army this morning [4th] men waited hopefully for federal attack on their hill.”
-Burke Davis Jeb Stuart the Last Cavalier

Gallagher said how day 1 was one of the great attacking victories of the war pushing back and inflicting heavy damage on 2 union corps. After the vicious day 2 fighting general Meade was ready to retreat and made plans but was talked out of it by his subordinates. Lee declared day 2 a victory.

When the second days battle was over General Lee declared it a success.”
-James Longstreet quoted in Ken Burns PBS the civil war documentary

The federals suffered such large causalities [the largest of any battle of the war ] they did not mount a major offensive in Virginia for 10 months.

"Gen Lee maneuvering the Yankees out of Virginia is the grandest piece of strategy ever herd of.”
-Jeb Stuart letter to his wife July 13th

The campaign removed the federal army from Virginia to the north giving Virginia farmland much needed rest. Stuart and the army had great success on their secondary goal, capturing much needed food and fodder for the army while living off northern farmland.

I think many see Gettysburg as a major defeat because Lee never invaded the north again. Yet this had more to do with accumulative loss of manpower to all southern armies and drop in morale coupled with larger more aggressive northern armies. At the time nobody new lee would not invade again and some thought he would.

We return without defeat to recuperate and reinforce when no dout the role will be reenacted...."

Further Early did invade in 64 and Lee sent Longstreet and 2 divisions to Tennessee. Not something a defeated army would likely do. But a confident army would and Lee showed they had plenty of fight left in 64.

Others say the south lost the war at Gettysburg, I dont see how this is so. Gettysburg combined with Vicksburg was a big blow for sure. But Lincoln was not likely to be reelected [ peace democrats would have been ] until Sherman captured Atlanta and Early was defeated in the valley along with the capture of Mobile. Those events secured Lincolns reelection and won the war for the north, not Gettysburg. The high causalities of 64 and battles like Gettysburg [union losses 23,000] almost cost the republicans the war I think Ken Burns Documentary shows this very well.

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So was Pickett's Charge actually snatching defeat from the jaws of victory?

never heard of that battle. There was a charge led by a general Pickett that failed to break the union lines during the campaign of Gettysburg that was the last chance for the south to win a major victory and fulfill all their goals. I assume that is what you are referring to. I would say that was more a failed dumb idea.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well...Lee did lose over a third of his army at Gettysburg so if you want to call it "a victory" it would seem to be pretty much the very definition of a "pyrrhic victory". :sorry:
tulc(or it could just be what history has seen it to be for the last 150 plus years) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
never heard of that battle. There was a charge led by a general Pickett that failed to break the union lines during the campaign of Gettysburg that was the last chance for the south to win a major victory and fulfill all their goals. I assume that is what you are referring to. I would say that was more a failed dumb idea.
uhmmm...in the post you quoted it was called a "charge" not a "battle" so I'm pretty sure you're both talking about the same thing. :sorry:
tulc(isn't sure what Tolkien RRJ;s point is) :scratch:

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well...Lee did lose over a third of his army at Gettysburg so if you want to call it "a victory" it would seem to be pretty much the very definition of a "pyrrhic victory". :sorry:
tulc(or it could just be what history has seen it to be for the last 150 plus years) :wave:

and how much of his army did he lose at Chancellorsville? larger than the federal % of there army. Every victory was a pyrrhic victory of sorts for the south. But I never said the battle itself of Gettysburg was a victory.

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
uhmmm...in the post you quoted it was called a "charge" not a "battle" so I'm pretty sure you're both talking about the same thing. :sorry:
tulc(isn't sure what Tolkien RRJ;s point is) :scratch:

I was joking. Of course they were the same. I was pointing out in my sarcastic way [my wife hates it] that there was more to Gettysburg than picket's charge and more to the campaign than the battle.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip) But I never said the battle itself of Gettysburg was a victory.
Well to quote from your OP:
Some southern soldiers [and populous, newspapers etc] viewed it as a victory since they won day 1 and drove the federals back and than maintained position day 2 and 3.

There was no spirit of defeat in the army this morning [4th] men waited hopefully for federal attack on their hill.”
-Burke Davis Jeb Stuart the Last Cavalier

Gallagher said how day 1 was one of the great attacking victories of the war pushing back and inflicting heavy damage on 2 union corps. After the vicious day 2 fighting general Meade was ready to retreat and made plans but was talked out of it by his subordinates. Lee declared day 2 a victory.

When the second days battle was over General Lee declared it a success.”
-James Longstreet quoted in Ken Burns PBS the civil war documentary

The federals suffered such large causalities [the largest of any battle of the war ] they did not mount a major offensive in Virginia for 10 months.

"Gen Lee maneuvering the Yankees out of Virginia is the grandest piece of strategy ever herd of.”

The campaign removed the federal army from Virginia to the north giving Virginia farmland much needed rest. Stuart and the army had great success on their secondary goal, capturing much needed food and fodder for the army while living off northern farmland.

I think many see Gettysburg as a major defeat because Lee never invaded the north again. Yet this had more to do with accumulative loss of manpower to all southern armies and drop in morale coupled with larger more aggressive northern armies. At the time nobody new lee would not invade again and some thought he would.

We return without defeat to recuperate and reinforce when no dout the role will be reenacted...."

Further Early did invade in 64 and Lee sent Longstreet and 2 divisions to Tennessee. Not something a defeated army would likely do. But a confident army would and Lee showed they had plenty of fight left in 64.

Others say the south lost the war at Gettysburg, I dont see how this is so.
Now to me? That sort of sounds like they didn't lose. :sorry:
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was joking. Of course they were the same. I was pointing out in my sarcastic way [my wife hates it] that there was more to Gettysburg than picket's charge and more to the campaign than the battle.
Ahh! I'd suggest putting (jk) or [sarcasm] at the end of a post like that, if you want people to understand that's what you're doing, it's pretty much impossible to differentiation in this type of medium without those prompts to let people know. :wave:
tulc(just a suggestion) :)

Reactions: Tolkien R.R.J
Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Gettysburg and Vicksburg marked the extent of CSA success and hopes.

The South launched no major successful offensives after that.

But a "draw", which I don't believe Gettysburg was, is always a defeat for the weaker of two foes. The weaker only weakens more while the stronger proportionally gains a greater advantage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well to quote from your OP:

Now to me? That sort of sounds like they didn't lose. :sorry:
tulc(just a thought) :wave:

Details are important please read slower this has happened a couple times already. I never said the battle was a victory. Some southerners at the time saw it that way. I asked the question if it was really a major defeat. I do not think so.

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Gettysburg and Vicksburg marked the extent of CSA success and hopes.

The South launched no major successful offensives after that.

But a "draw", which I don't believe Gettysburg was, is always a defeat for the weaker of two foes. The weaker only weakens more while the stronger proportionally gains a greater advantage.

why than did they come closest to winning mid to late 64 before the loss of Atlanta?

what do you call Chickamauga? Besides there were other causes. But yes Vicksburg was a big loss.

True. Unless in a democracy you can inflict losses that can cause a change in politics such as kicking Lincoln out.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Details are important please read slower this has happened a couple times already. I never said the battle was a victory. Some southerners at the time saw it that way. I asked the question if it was really a major defeat. I do not think so.
...then what's the purpose of this thread? Simply to discuss how badly the south lost at Gettysburg? :scratch:
tulc(is genuinely curious) :wave:

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
...then what's the purpose of this thread? Simply to discuss how badly the south lost at Gettysburg? :scratch:
tulc(is genuinely curious) :wave:

I would suggest reading my op and slow down a bit, have a beer first. It is simply to start a discussion on if Gettysburg was really a major defeat for the south as we are often told.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some battles are recognized as turning points only in retrospect. As far as battles go in WW2, El Alamien was a relatively minor engagement but it was a major turning point. In the War of 1812 the Battle of the Thames was a Canadian/British/ Indian defeat but was a similar turning point because the Americans had no heart to exploit the defeat and retreated from the battlefield.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
why than did they come closest to winning mid to late 64 before the loss of Atlanta?

what do you call Chickamauga? Besides there were other causes. But yes Vicksburg was a big loss.

True. Unless in a democracy you can inflict losses that can cause a change in politics such as kicking Lincoln out.
The South did not come close to winning in 1864.

It was holding on by the skin of its teeth after being booted out of .Chattanooga. Then a brief, very brief lieu occurred after Chickamauga, then the grinder of the Union armies rolled down the track to Atlanta.

Almost 25% of the CSA armies deserted by Christmas and 50% by the following March.

The CSA was an already dead corpse trembling with the final bursts of its disrupted nervous system.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest reading my op and slow down a bit, have a beer first.
Well, since I don't drink alcohol that suggestion would be a little hard for me. :wave:

It is simply to start a discussion on if Gettysburg was really a major defeat for the south as we are often told.
so..."Yeah, this thread is about just how badly the south lost at Gettysburg."? I'm pretty sure all the battles the south lost were major defeats for them simply because they were never going to be able to match the troops and supplies the north could throw at them. :wave:
tulc(in the end it was simply a matter of arithmetic)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
We should have taken Canada and given up the South.

You tried to take us once. The area where I live is littered with battlefields. Almost all were American defeats.

Upvote 0