Was firebombing of Dresden by the RAF a war crime?

Was the firebombing of dresden by the RAF a war crime?

• yes

• no

• don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
Upvote 0

Flynn

Apr 29, 2014
✟7,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it was a war crime. Any bombings of civilian structures are war crimes, doesn't matter who is commiting them and why. And don't get me started that Nazis started the war. It doesn't mean we have to use the same methods as them.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster"

Upvote 0

chanteuserose

May 8, 2014
Visit site
✟15,137.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
fighting has several meanings and the word fighting, after the bombing is wrong to contribute it to violence. It was the will to live, that can be attributed with the word fighting. Fighting for live, for hope, for yourself.
And why do you need to win or think about winning and loosing in such a huge war situation? The bombardement the way I understand this was to end the warmachine of Hitler, to end the war fighting. And any larg arguments and problems that need to be solved go out tearful. It just leads from one problem to the next.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I knew someone who was on that raid. He flew bombers during WW2. He had a lot of stories about his experiences.
About Dresden ... he wasn't proud about what he did. It weighed on his conscience. But the regular airmen had no choice - they had to follow orders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums