Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Technically..... would this make Christopher Columbus a Messianic Jew?

If he was a Jew who wanted to keep his Jewish heritage but.......
had came to regard Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus as Messiah the Passover Lamb then
Columbus may have been Messianic.

Was Christopher Columbus a Marrano Jew? His Hebrew Writings Say Yes
Read more at Was Christopher Columbus a Marrano Jew? His Hebrew Writings Say Yes

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Irish and French Catholics have argued that Columbus, who “brought the Christian faith to half the world,” should be named a saint. Though the move had the approval of Pope Pius IX (reign 1846–1878) but Columbus was never canonized.

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Irish and French Catholics have argued that Columbus, who “brought the Christian faith to half the world,” should be named a saint. Though the move had the approval of Pope Pius IX (reign 1846–1878) but Columbus was never canonized.

Here is an interesting article that gives clues as to how Columbus may have known that America was there.
Mystery of the Ten Lost Tribes
Ecuador

by Rabbi Marvin Tokayer
Intensified attention to the subject took place in the 17th century in England. It was all due to the writings of Manasseh Ben Israel, an Amsterdam Rabbi, who convinced Oliver Cromwell to allow the Jews to Return to England after their banishment from that country four centuries previously.

Manasseh was fully convinced of the authenticity of the Sambatyon legend. He wrote in his book that all think that the Ten Tribes dwelled beyond this Sabbatical river. He cites many authorities in support of his belief including the statement of Josephus that Titus himself had seen the river. Later on, after his meetings with a remarkable missionary, the Marrano Jew (Jew who was forced to convert to Christianity in Spain and Portugal), Antonio de Montezinus, he became fully convinced that the American Indians constituted some of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel.

Manasseh heard a very remarkable thing from Montezinus that in 1642 when Montezinus was deep into the mountainous wilderness of Ecuador, he met with four Indians who greeted him with "Shema Israel" which is the traditional creed of Israelites beginning with "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one!" (Deuteronomy 6:4). He claimed that he spoke with them in Hebrew and claimed they were from the Lost Tribe of Reuben and Levi.

Through the conversation with Montezinus, Rabbi Manase Ben Israel was convinced that the American Indians were from several tribes of the Lost Tribes of Israel. He wrote on Dec. 23, 1649, in a letter to John Drury, the Puritan divine, "I think the Ten Tribes lived not only there in America, but also in other lands scattered everywhere, these never did come back to the second temple, and they keep to this day still the Jewish religion seeing that all the prophecies which speak of the bringing back into their native soil must be fulfilled."

Menorah Was Found in South America

As for the Indians in South America and the Lost Tribes of Israel, there was an interesting article in a newspaper published in Israel (Maariv, Dec 31, 1974) as follows:

In 1587, a Jesuit Nicholas Delttsu was sent to South America by the king of Spain to convert the Indians. In Argentina, he found a tribe with Hebrew names, Abraham, David, Moshe, etc.. When he asked them if they were circumcised, they answered, "Yes, just as our ancestors." In the same area were found knives of stone used for circumcision. Sharpened stone knives are cited in the Bible as used for circumcision.

Of equal interest is the recent find of a tribe in Argentina related to the Incas of Peru. On a stone tablet were found 3 commandments - "Do not steal." "Do not lie." and "Do not murder." Scholars concluded that these commandments come from the Ten Commandments of Moses but existed hundreds of years before the Spaniards arrived.

And in 1974 in the same area, round stones were found with Hebrew Menorah (candlestick with 7 arms of ancient Israel) on the stone, and on the side is written in Aramaic, Pascha (Passover). Aramaic is an ancient language which ancient Israelites used and this itself means very old.
A few meters away was found a long stone in the shape of a brick with an engraving of a boat (the emblem of Zevulun is ship) with the word Tzipora (the same name as the wife of Moses and one of names of Israelites. The name of the ship?) written on it. Does this mean that they came here on boat? Scholars believe it is 3000 years old.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I studied this a long time ago. It's not proven one way or the other, but the ODDS seem to be in favor the he was a Jew.

Thank you for this confirmation.

That is exactly what I strongly suspect as well.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Technically..... would this make Christopher Columbus a Messianic Jew?

If he was a Jew who wanted to keep his Jewish heritage but.......
had came to regard Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus as Messiah the Passover Lamb then
Columbus may have been Messianic.
There has been a great deal of difficulty in establishing who he was and what country he came from. Some scholars say Italy, others say Spain or Portugal.

What is interesting is the fact that when he sailed off, the monarchs of both Spain and Portugal expelled all the Jews; decrees being delivered on March 28 1492 with everyone to be gone by the end of July.

Yes - his writings seem to indicate that he was Jewish and perhaps his name was actually a pseudonym to disguise his Jewish heritage.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea i heard this almost 30 years ago and passed it off as fiction.....
However i was in Jaerusalem a few years ago talked to a few christians and a jewish believer....
Picked up a book wrriten by his son....

It seems to indicate he was jewish....

This is what i now beleive:

He was not italian as aparently did nt use that language..J
He signed with hebrew letters....
He wanted to reatore jerusalem to the jews...
He left the same day as the inquisition began....
Jews and other christians muslims ...who didnt conform to popes specif ic laws of christianity were pludered jailed and exiled....1492
Believing jews were maronos or messianic jews...
They were forbiden to keep sabbath, pasover....
Some accepted forced coversion but if they were caught keepeing sabbath..would be jailed....
Columbus was financed mainly by jewish merchants....
Many think that many of his crew members were persecuted jews or maronos from jails.....
They would have all been wanting to leave before the inquisition began.....

He would have hidden his identity as jews did in ww2 to keep from being persecuted.......
Although he was a flawed peson his goal was to take the gospel to forign peoples.....

So yes as paul was a messianic jewish believr and took the gospel to greece rome and spain????
I believe America was founded by a messianic jew and gives us a direct tie back to our original heritage in Israel

This is also important as america has for the most part been a beacon of hope and freedom for persecuted jews

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Considering that Messianicism as a phenomenon didn't exist then, like it does today, it seems really anachronistic to say that he was. Where is the evidence that he was Jewish exactly? Is there a primary source anyone can quote from his writings that demonstrate beyond a doubt he practised Judaism?

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bro your gonna have to do your on research....but seems like most scholars,agree on some points.....
Studying history jews were being burned at the stake during the inuisistion...he would have been a target
So he went to great links to hide his identity...
Was Columbus secretly a Jew? - CNN.com
Christopher Columbus' Jewish Roots Examined By Historians | HuffPost

1. He signed 12 of 13 letters to his son with a hebrew greeting in the top left corner....
The only one he didnt use that greeting was when the king would see the letter......
2. His picture(nose...) could pass for jewish...
3. Had a jewish interpreter on his voyage
4. JEwish financeers fo his voyage
5. Left the day after a jewish holiday the same day the inquisistion beagan........
6. Was well versed in the OT and used the prophesies about Jerusalem

• Agree
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe America was founded by a messianic jew

"America" was not "founded" by Cristoforo Colombo. Both continents were settled starting about 15,000 years before he "discovered" it. His voyages marked the beginning of barbaric invasions that within a century led to the deaths of as many as 100 million people. Hey! Let's make him a saint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

danny ski

Jan 13, 2013
✟34,912.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Considering that Messianicism as a phenomenon didn't exist then, like it does today, it seems really anachronistic to say that he was. Where is the evidence that he was Jewish exactly? Is there a primary source anyone can quote from his writings that demonstrate beyond a doubt he practised Judaism?
He did not practice Judaism and he was a good Roman Catholic. There's no definitive evidence of his "Jewishness". And if there was, he should be awarded an Oscar(posthumously) for the greatest role ever played. Remember that 1492 was not only the year that America was discovered by the Europeans it was also the year of the Jewish expulsion from Spain. And those criminal fanatics were suppose to support a Jew-tainted Columbus?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He did not practice Judaism and he was a good Roman Catholic. There's no definitive evidence of his "Jewishness". And if there was, he should be awarded an Oscar(posthumously) for the greatest role ever played. Remember that 1492 was not only the year that America was discovered by the Europeans it was also the year of the Jewish expulsion from Spain. And those criminal fanatics were suppose to support a Jew-tainted Columbus?

Some Catholics were arrested for things as simple as
taking a bath on Friday before the Sabbath.... .so the
phrase "good Roman Catholic" would have been understood
very differently by the Inquisition if some of his habits had been
made public.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"America" was not "founded" by Cristoforo Colombo. Both continents were settled starting about 15,000 years before he "discovered" it. His voyages marked the beginning of barbaric invasions that within a century led to the deaths of as many as 100 million people. Hey! Let's make him a saint.

True... but you may enjoy this article.

Ecuador

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is traditional evidence Paul went to spain as He intended.....
Romans 15
for me to work in these regions, and since I have been longing for many years to visit you, 24I plan to do so when I go to Spain. I hope to see you while passing through and
So there would have been a foundation of messianic Jews from the 1st century....
Only God knows
But the inquisition was fact and Jews did have to flee for there llives......

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crazy day.......
I was cleaning out my closet and found the long lost book I bought in jerusaalem years ago.....with writings from his son.......
I'll reread it and .....
I'll post some quotes later.......
The mystery unfolds.........

Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Interesting theory, that is speculative at this point..

I read a good (but obscure) early 70s book authored by Simon Wiesenthal (the Nazi Hunter), Sails of Hope.
Wiesenthal presents his case that Columbus was a converso descendant, seeking a new refuge for Jews fleeing the Inquisition, religious persecution, etc.
It was a cool read, but out of print, and unfortunately used copies aren't cheap..

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0