Was Ceremonial Law Abolished?

Were "ceremonial" laws abolished despite Yahshua's direct instruction?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yahshua said:

(CLV) Lk 16:17
Yet it is easier for heaven and earth to pass by than for one serif of the law to fall.

After Yahshua ascended, James, Yahshua's brother, ordered Paul to make temple sacrifices to prove that he was obedient to the Torah.

(CLV) Ac 21:23
This, then, which we are saying to you, do. With us are four men having a vow on them.

(CLV) Ac 21:24
Taking these along, be purified together with them, and bear their expenses, that they should be shaving their heads, and all will know that what they have been instructed concerning you is nothing, but you also are observing the elements and you yourself are maintaining the law.

Purify G48

ἁγνίζω hagnízō, hag-nid'-zo; from G53; to make clean, i.e. (figuratively) sanctify (ceremonially or morally):—purify (self).

I. ceremonially

A. to make pure, purify, cleanse

II. morally

G48 - hagnizō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Yahshua said:

Yet it is easier for heaven and earth to pass by than for one serif of the law to fall.

After Yahshua ascended, James, Yahshua's brother, ordered Paul to make temple sacrifices to prove that he was obedient to the Torah.

This, then, which we are saying to you, do. With us are four men having a vow on them.

Taking these along, be purified together with them, and bear their expenses, that they should be shaving their heads, and all will know that what they have been instructed concerning you is nothing, but you also are observing the elements and you yourself are maintaining the law.

Purify G48

ἁγνίζω hagnízō, hag-nid'-zo; from G53; to make clean, i.e. (figuratively) sanctify (ceremonially or morally):—purify (self).

I. ceremonially

II. morally

Hi HARK,

We may not agree on this, but for me the answer is yes. All the ceremonial laws, including the Sabbath - the first in the list of Leviticus 23, were all fulfilled in Christ. Not by Christ, but in Him. They represented Him.

As for the vows, Paul said he would do anything to save his fellow Jews and Gentiles.

1 Corinthians 9:

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became]as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Matthew 5:
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Christ makes the law stronger, and deeper. Yet we find in Acts and beyond that Christ provides His Spirit to be in us to keep the righteous requirements of the law, and takes away our desire to sin.

Matthew 5:
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.

27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’ 34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

Galatians 4:
21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

2 Corinthians 3:
7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Romans 8:1-9
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi HARK,

We may not agree on this, but for me the answer is yes. All the ceremonial laws, including the Sabbath - the first in the list of Leviticus 23

We don't agree. That would make Zechariah a false prophet. I reject that.

(CLV) Zch 14:16
And it will come to be that everyone left of all the nations coming against Jerusalem, they will also go up, as often as year by year, to worship the King, Yahweh of hosts, and to celebrate the festival of booths.

It would also mean that YHWH goes back on his word. I simply can't accept that,

(CLV) Lv 23:21
And you will proclaim a meeting ion this very day. It shall be holy for you. You shall do not occupational work at all; it shall be an eonian statute in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

(CLV) Zch 14:16
And it will come to be that everyone left of all the nations coming against Jerusalem, they will also go up, as often as year by year, to worship the King, Yahweh of hosts, and to celebrate the festival of booths.

It would also mean that YHWH goes back on his word. I simply can't accept that,

(CLV) Lv 23:21
And you will proclaim a meeting ion this very day. It shall be holy for you. You shall do not occupational work at all; it shall be an eonian statute in all your dwellings throughout your generations.

Interesting. What about the other feasts? And why are they still doing sacrifices?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Zech 14 is about the Heavenly Jerusalem. Ceremonial Judaism is over, it hasn't existed for 19 centuries. It's an abomination to sacrifice lambs and bulls anymore.

Joh 4:21 Jesus said to her, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will not worship the Father on this mountain or in Jerusalem.

Col 2:16 Therefore, do not let anyone judge you in regard to food or drink, or in regard to a festival or a New Moon or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were coming, but the body belongs to Christ.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
As for the vows, Paul said he would do anything to save his fellow Jews and Gentiles.

So you're saying that Paul submitted to the false teaching of James, Yahshua's brother, to save his disciples, who weren't even in Jerusalem to witness it?

That just doesn't add up

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
So you're saying that Paul submitted to the false teaching of James, Yahshua's brother, to save his disciples, who weren't even in Jerusalem to witness it?

That just doesn't add up

Is a vow an oath? I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. What about the other feasts? And why are they still doing sacrifices?

(CLV) Ezk 44:24
In a controversy it is they who shall officiate in judgment; in accord with My ordinances, thus they will judge it; My laws and My statutes shall they observe at all My appointed times, and My sabbaths shall they hallow.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you're saying that Paul submitted to the false teaching of James, Yahshua's brother, to save his disciples, who weren't even in Jerusalem to witness it? That just doesn't add up
Paul almost made a mistake but God did not allow him to go on with intended sacrifices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
(CLV) Ezk 44:24
In a controversy it is they who shall officiate in judgment; in accord with My ordinances, thus they will judge it; My laws and My statutes shall they observe at all My appointed times, and My sabbaths shall they hallow.

What are the sacrifices for?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Zech 14 is about the Heavenly Jerusalem.

Can you prove this? I thought that this was the Millennial Reign.

It doesn't seem likely to me that those of the nations who came against Jerusalem, would go up once a year to celebrate Sukkot, when we will all be one in the heavenly Kingdom.

Doesn't Yahshua turn over all authority to YHWH in the heavenly Kingdom?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yahshua said:

Purify G48

I. ceremoni ally

II. morally

Matthew 5:17. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
John 15:3. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Galatians 3:23-25.
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up to the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Why the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Until a Jew attained unto the Faith of the Son of God, they were obligated to keep the Law. Paul participated at James request to demonstrate this, not that he felt a personal obligation. For the sake of the Jew, he became as a Jew, that he might win some to Christ.
1 Co 9:20. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 5:17. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
John 15:3. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Galatians 3:23-25.
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up to the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Why the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Until a Jew attained unto the Faith of the Son of God, they were obligated to keep the Law. Paul participated at James request to demonstrate this, not that he felt a personal obligation. For the sake of the Jew, he became as a Jew, that he might win some to Christ.
1 Co 9:20. And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law....

Under the law. I covered that topic here: UNDER THE LAW!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yahshua said:

Purify G48

I. ceremonially

II. morally

All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:!60), so none of them will ever be abolished, and instructions for how to act in accordance with God's righteousness can't be abolished with first abolishing God's eternal righteousness. In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus specifically said that he came not to abolish the law and warn those who would relax the least art of the law or teach others to do the same, so to suggest that he abolished any laws is to call him a liar and to disregard his warning. Likewise, Paul confirmed in Romans 3:31 that our faith does not abolish our need to obey God's law, but rather our faith upholds it.

In regard to Colossians 2:14, crosses were never used for the purpose of abolishing laws. It speaking about canceling the certificate of debt and God's law is not a certificate of debt, but rather the certificate of debt is the list of the charges that are against us or our violations of God's law. Whenever someone was crucified, the people would write out a sign that listed the charges that were against them and nail it to their cross in order to announce why they were being executed (Matthew 27:37). This served as a perfect analogy for the list of our violations of God's law being nailed to the cross and with him dying in our place to pay the penalty for our sins, but has nothing to do with ending any of God's laws, especially because they are all eternal.

In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Jesus gave himself to finish the law, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so if we believe in what he accomplished on the cross, then we will be become zealous for doing good works in obedience to the law (Acts 21:20) and will consider those who say that the law was finished at the cross to be undermining what he gave himself to accomplish. The authors of the Bible never used the category ceremonial law.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0