Was C. S. Lewis a CHRISTIAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
Grand Rapids, Michigan -- Lower west side.
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Martyn Lloyd-Jones, a leading Calvinist Evangelical of his time, declared that C. S. Lewis was not a Christian at all. Lloyd-Jones denied that Lewis was a Christian because C. S. Lewis did not believe in a soteriology of justification by faith. Lewis also denied the doctrine that "hell" is a place where non-Christians are penalized who are not forgiven by God. Lewis also denied the penal and substitutionary theory of the atonement.

Although C.S. Lewis could post on this forum because he accepted the Nicene Creed's statement of Trinitarian Theism, and accepted a notion of the atonement, he denied the soteriology of "Justification by Faith."

So, is LJ right that one must have "faith" in the doctrine of "justification by faith" to be considered a Christian? Isn't this kind of circular?

Here is an article agreeing with LJ:

Did C. S. Lewis go to heaven?

So we ask again: Did C. S. Lewis go to Heaven? And our answer must be: Not if he believed what he wrote in his books and letters.

What do you think?:confused:

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think only God can judge who is and who is not a Christian. I've read nothing in his writings that I would consider heretical. Granted I have not read all his writings but if I come across any, I'll reconsider recommending his books.

God bless.

Reactions: setzie
Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LJ is very wrong.

Note that one can be a heretic and a Christian. Indeed, you cannot be a heretic to Christianity unless you are a Christian; non-Christianity isn't "heresy", it's just not Christianity. Heresy is false Christian beliefs. (Well, arguably, Muslims could use the word to refer to versions of Islam which contradict their orthodoxy.)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All those things you just accused Lewis of are exactly what the Orthodox believe. Lewis was about as Orthodox as an Anglican can get without actually becoming Orthodox. But, as Lewis said, to roughly paraphrase,the Anglican Church was the local church for him. So why go anywhere else?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
CS Lewis was probably one of the most powerful Christian writers of his time and from his writing, I truly believed he was saved. I have to leave this up to God to make the final decision and we WILL find out when we get into heaven.

Upvote 0

Devasha

YHWH li, lo ira. Mah ya'aseh li adam?-Psalm 118:6
Jun 3, 2005
USA
✟1,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
OreGal said:
I think only God can judge who is and who is not a Christian.

I agree, and so does the author of Acts.

[BIBLE]Acts 2:47[/BIBLE]

I believe C. S. Lewis added greatly to the body of literature for those who believe and follow the Son of YHVH.

Upvote 0

Borealis

Catholic Homeschool Dad
Dec 8, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
✟10,009.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Cappadocian said:
Martyn Lloyd-Jones, a leading Calvinist Evangelical of his time, declared that C. S. Lewis was not a Christian at all. Lloyd-Jones denied that Lewis was a Christian because C. S. Lewis did not believe in a soteriology of justification by faith. Lewis also denied the doctrine that "hell" is a place where non-Christians are penalized who are not forgiven by God. Lewis also denied the penal and substitutionary theory of the atonement.

Although C.S. Lewis could post on this forum because he accepted the Nicene Creed's statement of Trinitarian Theism, and accepted a notion of the atonement, he denied the soteriology of "Justification by Faith."

So, is LJ right that one one have "faith" in the doctrine of "justification by faith" to be considered a Christian? Isn't this kind of circular?

Justification by faith alone is not a 'Christian' doctrine, it is a Protestant doctrine. To claim that denying that theory means one is not a Christian means denying that Catholics, Orthodox, and Coptics aren't Christian.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cappadocian said:

Sounds like Lloyd-Jones is the real heretic.

So do most Christians. Heck, the three largest Christian groups, all Apostolic churches, deny that too.

C.S. Lewis was one of the greatest Anglicans, even Anglican theologians, to have ever lived. If he's Anglican, he's not just a Christian, he's an Apostolic one. :)

OreGal said:
I think only God can judge who is and who is not a Christian.

Anyone who followed a belief declared anathema by the Spirit-Inspired Ecumenical Councils isn't a Christian. This includes followers of Arianism, Apollinarianism, Gnosticism, Montanism, Monothelitism, and Sabellianism.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I've read a fair amount of Lewis - put "Mere Christianity" up there with "Knowing God" by J.I.Packer. By all appearances (and I agree that we truly can't judge this), yes, he absolutely was a Christian. Definitely in the top 5 Christian apologists of the last century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
edb19 said:
I've read a fair amount of Lewis - put "Mere Christianity" up there with "Knowing God" by J.I.Packer. By all appearances (and I agree that we truly can't judge this), yes, he absolutely was a Christian. Definitely in the top 5 Christian apologists of the last century.
BTW, JI Packer wasn't so happy about C.S. Lewis either. J. I. Packer complained of Lewis’s "failure ever to mention justification by faith when speaking of the forgiveness of sins."

If Lewis was one of the top Christian Apologists and he didn't believe in a doctrine of justification by faith, and did not ever defend such a doctrine, or a doctrine of a penal hell, perhaps this means that such beliefs are indefensible?:confused:

Upvote 0

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
PaladinValer said:
Anyone who followed a belief declared anathema by the Spirit-Inspired Ecumenical Councils isn't a Christian. This includes followers of Arianism, Apollinarianism, Gnosticism, Montanism, Monothelitism, and Sabellianism.
You gosta become Orthodox!

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
didnt he believe in reincarnation?
Cappadocian said:

So, is LJ right that one must have "faith" in the doctrine of "justification by faith" to be considered a Christian? Isn't this kind of circular?

Upvote 0

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Egghead said:
didnt he believe in reincarnation?
Reincarnation...

I'm pretty sure that all Christians believe in reincarnation in the sense that we will all have new corporeal "carnal" bodies after our life. At the resurrection Jesus was reincarnated, having a body that could be touched and that could digest a fried fish breakfast...:blush:

But as for a thought that humans would be reincarnated within our human time and into our earth... I don't think I've read anything like this from Lewis, and have read many statements of heaven that would run contrary to such an idea (in the Great Divorce, and the Problem of Pain).:hug:

I've heard that one of his friends among the "Inklings" believed in reincarnation in this sense, but I've forgotten which one. Perhaps this is what you are thinking of.:kiss:

Reincarnation is an interesting thought tho -- if I were reincarnated, I would like to be reincarnated as a chinchilla:
chinchilla-1-copy.jpg

Or a meerkat:
meerkat-l.jpg

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ Is not an "Evangelical Calvinist" kind of a contradiction of terms? (Of course, I have yet to find cavlinist doctrine to be the end of all, or even a good starting point for soterology.)
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng,

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think justification by faith is a useful concept for those who feel that they have to work their way to salvation, know they're incapable of it, and are tempted to despair or self-punishment because of that.

I prefer to think of it in another way, that God forgives our sins as promised :)

At any rate, I read that nasty little article linked and have to say that if you look at the world through a tiny little flawed lens, everything you are going to see will seem to be flawed and tiny as well.

Upvote 0

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Joykins said:
I think justification by faith is a useful concept for those who feel that they have to work their way to salvation, know they're incapable of it, and are tempted to despair or self-punishment because of that.
This was Lewis's position as well; if the doctrine of justification by faith gives a person comfort, then no one should try to argue a person out of such a doctrine.

Lewis refers to the advice Luther gave his flock: Martin Luther’s answer “Do you doubt whether you are elected to salvation? Then say your prayers, man, and you may conclude that you are! It is as easy as that."

But Lewis spoke also for those who recoil at certain doctrines, discovering how horrible it would be to have such an unreality for God as represented in those doctrines. For those hearts who begin to search about and see whether they must indeed accept such statements concerning God, Lewis whispers in a very small voice for those who listen: No they don't.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
PaladinValer said:
Faith is a work. I work on my faith constantly. If I don't, then I really don't have much faith.

Faith is a work and a gift and a trust and a hope and a whole lot of other things as well. It can create its own reality ("such faith as to move mountains").

And yet if I have not love, I am nothing...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.