Was Bible possesion banned by the Catholic Church?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now this is one that people tell me didn't happen, and yet history clearly shows what happened and who was the power behind it. The Roman Catholic Church from early on tried to stop laymen from possessing or reading the Bible on their own and this intensified through the Middle Ages and later, with the addition of a prohibition forbidding translation of the Bible into native languages. (See http://catholicbridge.com/catholic/did-the-catholic-church-forbid-bible-reading.php, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-christians-were-denied-access-to-their-bible-for-1000-years_b_3303545)

The Roman Catholic Church burned the Bibles with the scripture holding what was later to be called the Majority true text or Textus Receptus which came from Jerusalem through Pella where the Christians had fled after the fall in 70 AD, and suppress any writings from it. And also the Bibles that came from Antioch where the Christians had formed their center of studies during the early church, and the true text that reach the Waldensians which they spread to the Reformation and used by Luther and others, so now you have an inkling why they had to be destroyed. They also actually forbid it from being read in a attempt to keep people from seeing the corruption they were allowing into the church, to bring in more pagan converts, and the changes they were making in direct contraction to the Bible truths, calling it traditions, including changing the Sabbath. Many claim it was a misunderstanding or try to deny it, or say there is no proof, or that it is just a story concocted by those who were against the Catholic Church, but lets take a look.

An extraordinary decision is found in the records of the First Council of Constantinople of 381-3, convened by Roman Emperor Theodosius. What was decided at that assembly presents an historical fact, and involved Pope Damasus, who was in attendance. He was a man so corrupted and so notorious with women that he was called the 'tickler of Matron's Ears.(Lives of the Popes, Mann, c. 1905)

The historical record shows Pope Damasus banned the Bible and the laity was strictly "forbidden to read the word of God, or to exercise their judgment in order to understand it."(The Library of the Fathers, Damasus, Oxford, 1833-45)

After he suppressed the Bible, Damasus created an array of formidable penances and additional anathemas "designed to keep the curious at bay", Early Theological Writings, G. W. F. Hegal). The primary intent was to keep the Bible away from people and to substitute Church authority as the rule of life and belief.

Owning a Bible was actually made a criminal offence by the Roman Catholic Church. In 860, Pope Nicholas I pronounced against all people who expressed interest in reading the Bible, and reaffirmed its banned public use (Papal Decree).

In 1073, Pope Gregory supported and confirmed the ban, and in 1198, Pope Innocent III declared that anybody caught reading the Bible would be stoned to death by "soldiers of the Church military." (Diderot's Encyclopedia, 1759).

In 1229, the Council of Toulouse, passed another Decree "that strictly prohibits laics from having in their possession either the Old or New Testaments; or from translating them into the vulgar tongue".

By the 14th Century, the possession of a Bible by the laity was a criminal offence and punishable by whipping, confiscation of real and personal property, and burning at the stake. Now your getting an idea why so many were being burned at the stake, and the hidden purpose of the various inquisitions.

With the Bible banned from public scrutiny by a series of decrees, popes endorsed the public suppression of the Bible for over a thousand years, right up until after the Reformation and the printing of the King James Bible in 1611.

Here are some of the decrees...

Decree of the Council of Toulouse (1229 C.E.): “We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.”

Ruling of the Council of Tarragona of 1234 C.E.: “No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments in the Romance language, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days after promulgation of this decree, so that they may be burned...”

Proclamations at the Ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415 C.E.: Oxford professor, and theologian John Wycliffe, was the first (1380 C.E.) to translate the New Testament into English to “...helpeth Christian men to study the Gospel in that tongue in which they know best Christ’s sentence.” For this “heresy” Wycliffe was posthumously condemned by Arundel, the archbishop of Canterbury. By the Council’s decree “Wycliffe’s bones were exhumed and publicly burned and the ashes were thrown into the Swift River.”

Fate of William Tyndale in 1536 C.E.: William Tyndale was burned at the stake for translating the Bible into English. According to Tyndale, the Church forbid owning or reading the Bible to control and restrict the teachings and to enhance their own power and importance.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I'm allowed to post here...
But I have the answer for the country I live in, Italy.

Up until about 50 years ago the bible was banned here.
Lay persons were not encouraged to read it at all and if fact were told they would not understand it.

PRIESTS that went to seminary here as late as in the 60's required PERMISSION to read the O.T.

This is fact personally known by me.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rome did not ban bible reading.

Just like Rome did not do any inquisitions.

What Rome DID was to force national governments to pass laws against bible reading and to institute inquisitions. That way they could say: It was them, not us!

Sorry, but that really does not wash.

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Busted!!

2:27
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit--just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't such a thread belong in Christian History?
No, because it is a protected thread and those not with the correct affiliation can't debate here. There is nothing to stop you from starting your own thread in the Catholic forum to refute what is being stated here, then you will be able to make your comments without fear of being debated against by those who are not Catholic.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if I'm allowed to post here...
But I have the answer for the country I live in, Italy.

Up until about 50 years ago the bible was banned here.
Lay persons were not encouraged to read it at all and if fact were told they would not understand it.

PRIESTS that went to seminary here as late as in the 60's required PERMISSION to read the O.T.

This is fact personally known by me.
Incredible..

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Incredible..
For a long time, the Bible was in Latin, which was the language for the educated clergy of the church. The common people were not educated to the point where they could understand Latin. Therefore, even if they could go and try to read the church bible, they wouldn't be able to understand it. Also, the Mass was all in Latin as well, along with the reading of the lesson. So the common church-going people never heard or read the actual Bible. So all they got was when the priest got up in the pulpit and gave his homily.

Therefore they were dependent on what the church taught them, without any opportunity to check it out in the Scriptures. So, basically, the church could teach the people anything it decided was good for the people and no one could question it. This went on until the Reformation when the Bible was first translated into German so that the common German people could read the Scriptures in their own language.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟426,774.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What Rome DID was to force national governments to pass laws against bible reading and to institute inquisitions. That way they could say: It was them, not us!

Need to read history as the church had become a temporal power or one with religious and state power....

Church gradually became a defining institution of the Roman Empire.[1] Emperor Constantine issued the Edict of Milan in 313 proclaiming toleration for the Christian religion, and convoked the First Council of Nicaea in 325 whose Nicene Creed included belief in "one holy catholic and apostolic Church". Emperor Theodosius I made Nicene Christianity the state church of the Roman Empire with the Edict of Thessalonica of 380.[2]

After the fall of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, there emerged no single powerful secular government in the West. There was however a central ecclesiastical power in Rome, the Catholic Church. In this power vacuum, the Church rose to become the dominant power in the West. The Church started expanding in the beginning 10th century, and as secular kingdoms gained power at the same time, there naturally arose the conditions for a power struggle between Church and Kingdom over ultimate authority.

In essence, the earliest vision of Christendom was a vision of a Christian theocracy, a government founded upon and upholding Christian values, whose institutions are spread through and over with Christian doctrine. In this period, members of the Christian clergy wield political authority. The specific relationship between the political leaders and the clergy varied but, in theory, the national and political divisions were at times subsumed under the leadership of the Catholic Church as an institution. This model of Church-State relations was accepted by various Church leaders and political leaders in European history.[3]

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The behavior between church and state does have a way of passing the buck on either side of that coin. Matthew 27:24

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The behavior between church and state does have a way of passing the buck on either side of that coin. Matthew 27:24
There is always the danger when religion is merged with politics, and then that church becomes the dominant power in a country. We see this in South American countries where churches that are not part of the dominant church of that country are burned and members persecuted and killed.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for starting this thread. You hear allot on these forums how the early church fathers 'gave us' the Bible usually in the context of an admonishment that we all are acting as our own popes or partriarchs. I've yet to hear till now how reading it was expressly forbidden, even illegal.

• Agree
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a long time, the Bible was in Latin, which was the language for the educated clergy of the church. The common people were not educated to the point where they could understand Latin. Therefore, even if they could go and try to read the church bible, they wouldn't be able to understand it. Also, the Mass was all in Latin as well, along with the reading of the lesson. So the common church-going people never heard or read the actual Bible. So all they got was when the priest got up in the pulpit and gave his homily.

Therefore they were dependent on what the church taught them, without any opportunity to check it out in the Scriptures. So, basically, the church could teach the people anything it decided was good for the people and no one could question it. This went on until the Reformation when the Bible was first translated into German so that the common German people could read the Scriptures in their own language.
All true. Just want to add two comments.

1. Not all priests were literate. In fact in the Council of Trent, which was in about 1550, it was declared that priests HAD to become educated and, in fact, the catholic church set up many schools in Europe that were very good schoools and run by priests and nuns (if I remember right).

2. It was VERY EXPENSIVE to own any book since they had to be written by hand. Paper had to be purchased and was expensive, and then a book had to be copied by a professional copier and it took a very long time,,,months.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There is always the danger when religion is merged with politics, and then that church becomes the dominant power in a country. We see this in South American countries where churches that are not part of the dominant church of that country are burned and members persecuted and killed.
When you go to the other end of that stick, when religions are completely excluded from influencing politics, the results aren't any better. I believe no matter who was the dominant institution at the time, the results would have been similar. Basically what the Catholic Church did in the past with the Bible doesn't mean Traditional Adventists or any other denomination by default would avoid all our burning, persecution and killing. Whether that's past or in the present.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you go to the other end of that stick, when religions are completely excluded from influencing politics, the results aren't any better.
I haven't seen this noted before, so did not give much if any thought to it specifically, but I think there may be examples that would help, historically, if they can be found ... I'll more or less 'casually', yet with some effort, as God Permits, look for examples for you or other readers. It might be, as I have thought and shared before, that the only good examples, at least at first, might be only in Scripture... then after than, other places... remains to be seen. thanks.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now this is one that people tell me didn't happen, and yet history clearly shows what happened and who was the power behind it.
People told me it happened. Same testimonies as in this thread, yet in person. Even in recent years (last few decades).

Upvote 0