Was Augustine the one who created "Calvinism", and why?

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Did Augustine create "Calvinism" to explain how infants could become the "elect" through baptism? Since they had not come to faith, it must be based upon the will of another. It could have nothing to do with the infant's will.

Everyone's responded about about Predestination etc as if synonymous with Calvinism, but the purpose of your questions is about 'infants', election, and baptism, yes ?

Here' an outline of the argument for infant baptism*. See PCA (Australia) article, from Kerang Presbyterian, Kerang Presbyterian Church Infant Baptism

* Disclaimer:

The primary reason for writing this article is not convince anyone that covenant infant baptism is biblical. The primary reason I wrote it is to try and convince people to be more gracious in their opposition to this doctrine. It is perfectly fair for someone to examine the argument and not accept it. But it would be better if once the argument is rejected, that the person who does so sees that there is a reason that people have for believing this teaching and that when disagreeing with the position, that graciousness and humility would be combined with a disagreement of it.

Finally, I would suggest anyone who disagrees with the argument to provide an answer as to why we should now exclude infants from the same Abrahamic covenant, that is still in effect per Gal. 3:8. Remember, God commanded that infants be included in this covenant. What justifies anyone from changing God's command on this?

A common misunderstanding is that baptism is an individual act done to attain personal salvation, out of personal free will, personal allegiance to Christ, etc, which is true per the NT (Acts) depiction, however the origin of baptism pre-dates the NT... going back to circumcision, ritual water cleansing in Mikvehs, repentance, ritual repentance, bathing, cleanliness and holiness, the Jewish Exodus cross through water and cloud, Noah and his family rained on but saved from rising flood waters, and the origin of water itself when 'the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters' and the symbolism that goes with that...

That is, the Calvinist / Augustinian pov (and Jewish pov) places a greater emphasis on the Lord's salvation collectively, holistically, covenantally, saving whole cities and nations (e.g. Nineveh vs Sodom), whole tribes, and whole households (Abraham) and communities, individual houses vs cities (Rahab the prostitute vs Jericho), less the individualism / personal salvation that Baptist and Evangelical theology emphasises. Less emphasis on the external ritual itself (i.e. water), but the implications of the water and what it represents (i.e. keeping God's commandments).

"And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea" (1 Cor. 10:2)

"They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." (Acts 16:31)

And also intrinsically, within the heart, soul, mind, and outflow of behaviour... Hence, while Korah and his rebels were ritually saved, had all the external signs and seals of salvation (as Calvinists would say) having been baptised in the Red Sea, in a cloud, circumcised, etc, physically saved by God in Mt Sinai, etc, it was discredited in God's eyes the moment they rebelled and they were devoured by fire (Num 26:10).

Therefore, "Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God." (1 Cor. 7:19)

Blessings :)

Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You are attempting to produce a false dichotomy of either Calvinism, or Arminianism. I am neither.

I did not save myself at Calvary.

However, I did repent and accept Christ as my Savior, based on the text below.

Act 3:19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord,

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

God does not command men to repent and then prevent some of them from doing so, as Calvinism infers.

Instead, God commands all to repent and punishes those who do not.

Mat_3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mat_4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mar_1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Mar_6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Luk_13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luk_13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luk_16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

Act_2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act_8:22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.

Act_17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Act_26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Rev_2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Rev_2:16 Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Rev_2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

Rev_2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

Rev_3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Calvinism's use of the word "Grace" is not the same word found in the Bible.

Thus the OP's question about baptism, election, and infant baptism, should be directed to the case of John the Baptist, standing in the Jordan River symbolically, being in the 'wilderness' symbolically, and baptising (Jewish) people symbolically, nostalgically and retrospectively to the Jewish Exodus.

"John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins."
(Mk. 1:4)

John's work addressed the Jews specifically who at that time had been living under the 400 year silence, having erred from their original ancestors, being corrupted by Babylon, obsessed and idolatrous of their temples, external rites and rituals etc, and were cheap towards God ('robbing God'), offering their rubbish pickings, lame animals etc. And the same internal sinfulness is true for all mankind, especially Gentiles. This is how we learn from them.

However, being Gentiles without the an Abrahamic heritage, family, culture, etc, and assuming most are 1st generation believers (per fulfilment of prophecy for Gentiles and the church age) as new converts, it would understandable that one's emphasis is more on self (emphasis on free will etc), like the Jews standing by the Jordan River listening to John. Once baptised, the graces of Baptism would immediately extend to the person's household, as promised, being 'saved'.

But as posted earlier, the scenario changes when you're blessed with new borns, new residents, new citizens, etc... Hence, the principle is to baptise newborn infants AND new arrival adults to include them into God's promise, the same way we pray to give thanks and bless our food daily before eating it, and eating the blessing that comes with the ritual. The ritual is an obligatory token gesture (vain alone), where importance lies in the blessing from God. -- In practice, it's not so much 'infant baptism' but 'household baptism', particularly for parents to renew their covenantal vowels, promising to raise the child under Gods law, etc, and the HOPE that the child will be like Jacob and not Esau, like Abel and not Cain. Nothing is absolute, and the baptism itself is not an everlasting assurance of salvation.

"And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed." (Gen. 17:12)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What has come to be known as "Calvinism" denies "free-will" and "foreknowledge", in order to explain how infants can become the "elect", through water baptism. Since the infants have not come to faith, it must be based on the will of another. It cannot have anything to do with the will of the infant.

Yes and no. -- A counter argument could be laid for the negligence and irresponsibility of parents, for not meeting their duty to bringing up their children in the Lord. i.e. child abuse. Meaning that beliefs, rituals, and godly behaviour god hand in hand. Theory and practice. Not delayed until the 16th year of when their wills decide to, but taught and practiced from 1st Day, or for Hebrews, the 8th Day symbolising their supernatural and miraculous origin.

i.e. An un baptised or uncircumcised person has no obligation to practice the 10 commandments or keep any of God's Law (Torah / Pentateuch, plus NT commandments), technically, legally, socially, etc, only perhaps morally (by societal standards, social expectations of behaviour etc). In that sense, the person is effectively a child of Satan until they come of age and perform the baptism ritual... Having however already been in breach of the Lord's commandment to 'keep my commandments' (Jn. 14:15). Do you see the hypocrisy ? -- 'He who is responsible with little is responsible with much...'

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Gen. 17:14)

Hence, baptism alone is nothing, likewise circumcision, because God is just and all men are judged by their works, adherence to God's law. At the same time it's emphasis on the circumcision of the heart, internally, in contrast to external rituals, but this does not discount the ritual itself being seen by God.

"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works." (Rev. 20:12)

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." (Jn. 15:10)

"And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." (1 Jn. 1:6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." (Jn. 15:10)

"And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it." (1 Jn. 1:6)

Which commandments are we to keep in John 15:10?

Which commandments of Christ are found below?

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

The battle between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant began in Acts chapter 15, and continues to the present. During most of the history of the Church the Judaisers have won the day.

Act 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Based on the verse below the ten commandments are the Sinai Covenant.

Exo 34:28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Based on Deuteronomy 5:1-3, the Sinai Covenant was not given at an ealier time.

The term “the moral law” is not found in scripture.
It is a man-made invention, not found in scripture, which is used in an attempt to get around Acts 15:24.

The New Covenant is a higher standard than the Old Covenant, not for our salvation, but for our conduct.

Matthew 5:17-20 is further explained by the Apostle Paul in Galatians 3:16-29. Here Paul reveals the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant. Paul said the law was “added” 430 years “after” the promise made to Abraham “until” the seed(Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.

Later in Matthew chapter 5 Christ contrasts the two covenants below with the words “But I say…

Mat 5:21 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.'
Mat 5:22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Mat 5:24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
Mat 5:25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
Mat 5:26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

Mat 5:27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.'
Mat 5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Mat 5:29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Mat 5:31 "Furthermore it has been said, 'Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.'
Mat 5:32 But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Mat 5:33 "Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.'
Mat 5:34 But I say to you, do not swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne;
Mat 5:35 nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
Mat 5:36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black.
Mat 5:37 But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one.

Mat 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
Mat 5:39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
Mat 5:40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.
Mat 5:41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.
Mat 5:42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Mat 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
Mat 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
Mat 5:45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
Mat 5:47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?
Mat 5:48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

The Old Covenant and the New Covenant cannot be one and the same, based on a clear contrast between the two covenants which is found in the New Testament. Confirmation of the contrast between the Old Covenant and New Covenant is found below.

2Co 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
2Co 3:8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?
(Why did Paul compare the ten commandments to a ministry of death?)

Gal 4:24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— (Is Paul comparing the Sinai Covenant to “bondage”, and using “Hagar” as a symbol of the Sinai Covenant?)
Gal 4:25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children
Gal 4:26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal 4:27 For it is written: "REJOICE, O BARREN, YOU WHO DO NOT BEAR! BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR! FOR THE DESOLATE HAS MANY MORE CHILDREN THAN SHE WHO HAS A HUSBAND."
Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? "CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON, FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREEWOMAN."
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
(Why did Paul compel the Galatian believers to “cast out” the Sinai Covenant of “bondage” in the passage above?)

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, in as much as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. (Was this written in the present tense during the first century?)
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
Heb 8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—
Heb 8:9 NOT ACCORDING TO THE COVENANT THAT I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS IN THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; BECAUSE THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DISREGARDED THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
Heb 8:10 FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS IN THEIR MIND AND WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
Heb 8:11 NONE OF THEM SHALL TEACH HIS NEIGHBOR, AND NONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL SHALL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST OF THEM TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
Heb 8:12 FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."
Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. (Do most modern Christians ride a horse to their church, or has that mode of transportation now become “obsolete”? Is there now a better way to get there? See the master teacher in 1 John 2:27.)

Heb 12:18 For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest, (Is that mountain Mount Sinai?)
Heb 12:19 and the sound of a trumpet and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that the word should not be spoken to them anymore.
Heb 12:20 (For they could not endure what was commanded: "AND IF SO MUCH AS A BEAST TOUCHES THE MOUNTAIN, IT SHALL BE STONED OR SHOT WITH AN ARROW."
Heb 12:21 And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, "I AM EXCEEDINGLY AFRAID AND TREMBLING.")
Heb 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, (Is this verse speaking of the “church” of Jesus Christ?)
Heb 12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(Why does the text above say that we are not come to Mount Sinai, but to Mount Zion?)

The New Covenant: Bob George

Based on the above nobody alive today has broken the 4th commandment, which was the "sign" of the now "obsolete" Sinai Covenant. (See Colossians 2:16-17)
The New Covenant is a higher standard, not for our salvation, but for our conduct.

The New Covenant cannot fully live, until we let the Old Covenant become obsolete.

Reformed Covenant Theology has attempted to keep the Old Covenant alive by inventing the term "the moral law", and by attempting to replace the circumcision of infants, with infant baptism.

They have not let go of Augustine's attempt to get infants into the Church through water baptism.
The result is millions who think they are Christians, but have never been a part of the scripture found below.

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Reformed Covenant Theology has attempted to keep the Old Covenant alive by inventing the term "the moral law", and by attempting to replace the circumcision of infants, with infant baptism.

I come from a long line of entrepreneurs and businessmen, and like all businesses operating in Australia my grand parents and parents are required by law to pay legal wages, collect legal taxes on behalf of the Government (19-45%), pay superannuation (9%, i.e. US 401k), workers compensation, annual leave, weekend loading pay, provide a good and safe working environment, looking after the staff, etc...

But that is dependent on the worker's LEGAL CITIZENSHIP STATUS, whether they are naturalised Australian citizens with full working rights and protections under Australian Law, or an illegal immigrant, or a child who is legally prohibited to work until age 16 (unless as part of a family business).

These protections are setup and exist already for all current workers, but not for newcomers.

Thus, when a NEW employee joins the company he is not yet under the protection of our umbrella, and he/she may or may not be under the protection of the Government either, we must check. And likewise when a NEW child is born into the family they too are also not yet under the protection of the company, not yet being of age and not yet being official employees.

The Lord is like a rich man who works in the same manner as businessmen, new adult workers, new citizens, and new borns alike. -- Believing parents AND their children AND servants are part of the FAMILY BUSINESS, of the Kingdom of Heaven.

"For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it."
(Mt. 8:9)

"The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles."

An yet, 'Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God" (1 Cor. 7:19). The same principle being true for any external ritualism, including baptism, where the ritual itself is vain and meaningless without a change of HEART, "Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart" (Jer. 4:4).

Hence, Romans 2:13-15, alludes to an UNWRITTEN LAW for Gentiles.

"(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another"

This is the difference between a legalist and a godly man, of love and grace, being like Christ and unlike the Pharisees. -- One lives by the letter of the law, following and exploiting its loop holes, while the other reads BETWEEN THE LINES, often where nothing is written, and lives accordingly in keeping the spirit of the law, in love and good conscience. Hence, thereby 'Loving thy neighbour as thyself' as the Good Samaritan did in exceptional circumstances. -- And are not all Gentile believers an exceptional and miraculous circumstance ?

So I re-direct you to the arguments laid above per proper due process of infants AND new servants, their inclusion into the covenantal promise which extends to the whole HOUSEHOLD, and fathers who promise to dutifully instruct their children, as opposed to superficial ritualists, being hypocrites, negligent parents, and poor stewards. Men who love rituals not God, and not other men.

See Romans 2,

"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?" (Rom. 2:24-27)

(n.b. To clarify, although my profile says I'm a 'Presbyterian', meaning that I know Calvinism, it does not necessarily mean that I support Calvinism / Augustinianism. In case anyone is confused.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I come from a long line of entrepreneurs and businessmen, and like all businesses operating in Australia my grand parents and parents are required by law to pay legal wages, collect legal taxes on behalf of the Government (19-45%), pay superannuation (9%, i.e. US 401k), workers compensation, annual leave, weekend loading pay, provide a good and safe working environment, looking after the staff, etc...

But that is dependent on the worker's LEGAL CITIZENSHIP STATUS, whether they are naturalised Australian citizens with full working rights and protections under Australian Law, or an illegal immigrant, or a child who is legally prohibited to work until age 16 (unless as part of a family business).

These protections are setup and exist already for all current workers, but not for newcomers.

Thus, when a NEW employee joins the company he is not yet under the protection of our umbrella, and he/she may or may not be under the protection of the Government either, we must check. And likewise when a NEW child is born into the family they too are also not yet under the protection of the company, not yet being of age and not yet being official employees.

The Lord is like a rich man who works in the same manner as businessmen, new adult workers, new citizens, and new borns alike. -- Believing parents AND their children AND servants are part of the FAMILY BUSINESS, of the Kingdom of Heaven.

"For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it."
(Mt. 8:9)

"The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles."

An yet, 'Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God" (1 Cor. 7:19). The same principle being true for any external ritualism, including baptism, where the ritual itself is vain and meaningless without a change of HEART, "Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart" (Jer. 4:4).

Hence, Romans 2:13-15, alludes to an UNWRITTEN LAW for Gentiles.

"(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another"

This is the difference between a legalist and a godly man, of love and grace, being like Christ and unlike the Pharisees. -- One lives by the letter of the law, following and exploiting its loop holes, while the other reads BETWEEN THE LINES, often where nothing is written, and lives accordingly in keeping the spirit of the law, in love and good conscience. Hence, thereby 'Loving thy neighbour as thyself' as the Good Samaritan did in exceptional circumstances. -- And are not all Gentile believers an exceptional and miraculous circumstance ?

So I re-direct you to the arguments laid above per proper due process of infants AND new servants, their inclusion into the covenantal promise which extends to the whole HOUSEHOLD, and fathers who promise to dutifully instruct their children, as opposed to superficial ritualists, being hypocrites, negligent parents, and poor stewards. Men who love rituals not God, and not other men.

See Romans 2,

"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?" (Rom. 2:24-27)

(n.b. To clarify, although my profile says I'm a 'Presbyterian', meaning that I know Calvinism, it does not necessarily mean that I support Calvinism / Augustinianism. In case anyone is confused.)

Nobody gets into the New Covenant through their parents, based on Acts of the Apostles 3:19, and Acts of the Apostles 17:30, and Ephesians 1:13.
It only comes through personal repentance, and personal faith.

Only those who have been "born again" of the Spirit of God are a part of the New Covenant found below. See Romans 8:9 if you have any doubt.

Jer_31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah—

Mat_26:28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mar_14:24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.

Luk_22:20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

1Co_11:25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."

2Co_3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Heb_8:8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "BEHOLD, THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH—

Heb_8:13 In that He says, "A NEW COVENANT," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Heb_9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Heb_12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

Thomas Dickerson was also a Presbyterian at one time, until he discovered what it means to be "born again".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:17-20 is further explained by the Apostle Paul in Galatians 3:16-29. Here Paul reveals the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant. Paul said the law was “added” 430 years “after” the promise made to Abraham “until” the seed(Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.

Inaccurate, and a misconstruction of Gal. 3.

Scripture cannot be broken, and any suggestion of replacement theology or supercessionism would be to alter and undermine Scripture. A covenant has extrinsic elements and intrinsic elements. It's the extrinsic that has changed, doing different things to signify an inward 'repentance' and 'salvation', while the intrinsic love for God and all that entails, has remained essentially the same for every generation, for all eternity.

Abraham is the foundation, he cannot be discarded.

See Gal. 3,

"Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham." (Gal. 3: 6-9)

"That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto. Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ." (Gal 3. 14-16)

Hence, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." (Rom. 4:3)

Therefore, there exists in the New Covenant era an essential continuationism of the 'Abrahamic covenant', or 'Promise unto Abraham', or 'Blessing of Abraham', for lack of other term. With all being joined to Christ, everyone between Abraham and the last living believer, before the return of the Lord.

Again, it's neither circumcision or baptism in the ritual itself that is anything... but rather the externalisms reflect an internal repentance, renewal of the mind, being born again, and having a spiritual change of heart. Where external rituals in and of themselves cannot save without God pre-conditioning and allowing the internal changes necessary. i.e 'faith'.

To be clear, neither circumcision or baptism in the ritual itself is anything... "but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith."
(Rom 4. 12-13)

A righteousness that is written in the letter of the law, and unwritten in the spirit of the law, being on 'written our hearts and minds'...

Do you have any questions ?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inaccurate, and a misconstruction of Gal. 3.

If you disagree with Paul's statements that the law was "added" 430 years "after" the promise made to Abraham, "until" the seed(Christ) could come to whom the promise was made in Galatians 3, maybe chapter 4 can help you.
Here Paul reveals the "bondage" of the Sinai Covenant.

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
(Does Paul compare the Sinai Covenant to "bondage", in the verse above?)
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal 4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
(Does Paul compel the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in the verse above?)
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

What does the author of the Book of Hebrews say below about the Sinai Covenant?

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, (Is this mountain Mount Sinai?)
Heb 12:19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
Heb 12:20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
Heb 12:21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
(Why does the author of Hebrews contrast the New Covenant to Mount Sinai in verse 18 above?)

Upvote 0