USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Modern Science demonstrates that anatomically modern humans appeared in Ethiopia 200,000 years ago and migrated to every continent by 60,000 to 30,000 years ago. The evidence of this is:
  1. fossils
  2. analysis of DNA and genetics from ancient remains

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If the rate of decay is cumulative, then it is possible that the elements that we measure time with have also decayed, and that time flow today is not the same as timeflow 200,000 years ago. Therefore inconclusive.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
If the rate of decay is cumulative, then it is possible that the elements that we measure time with have also decayed, and that time flow today is not the same as timeflow 200,000 years ago. Therefore inconclusive.

Decay of what?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Decay of what?
Even the solar system experiences decay and some of the planets are further out than they used to be. Apparently. Since sin has affected the whole creation, expecting the sun moon and stars to continue to move at the same rate is kind of absurd, since in such a short time compared to 200,000 years, we have had to switch from a 360 day calendar to a 365.25 day calendar. Much like politicians blaming previous administrations for the amount of money lost without taking into account the depreciation of the value of said money ... so is the concept that we can measure with any certainty at all. There are some things we cannot know, there is a lot of faith placed on the dating methods.

Reactions: Ronald
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even the solar system experiences decay and some of the planets are further out than they used to be. Apparently. Since sin has affected the whole creation, expecting the sun moon and stars to continue to move at the same rate is kind of absurd, since in such a short time compared to 200,000 years, we have had to switch from a 360 day calendar to a 365.25 day calendar. Much like politicians blaming previous administrations for the amount of money lost without taking into account the depreciation of the value of said money ... so is the concept that we can measure with any certainty at all. There are some things we cannot know, there is a lot of faith placed on the dating methods.

What specific dating methods do you have a problem with?

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If the rate of decay is cumulative,.....

Umm.... Maybe you were thinking of posting on a different thread? Nothing in the OP mentions radioactive decay based dating methods. If you want to talk about radioactive decay and dating methods, there are already a bunch of threads on that, or of course you can start a new one.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Modern Science demonstrates that anatomically modern humans appeared in Ethiopia 200,000 years ago and migrated to every continent by 60,000 to 30,000 years ago. The evidence of this is:
  1. fossils

IMO Adam was a mythological ancestor of humanity or some important figure deep in the history of the lineage of semitic peoples.

Human History and Adam as Archetype

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What specific dating methods do you have a problem with?
Nothing specific, anything where there isn't at least 1000 of consistent sample, is unreliable when declaring hundreds of thousands or even billions of years. My point is that we cannot know.

Umm.... Maybe you were thinking of posting on a different thread? Nothing in the OP mentions radioactive decay based dating methods. If you want to talk about radioactive decay and dating methods, there are already a bunch of threads on that, or of course you can start a new one.
The subject Was Adam 200,000 years ago, my answer is we cannot know, my earlier answer was why. totally on topic.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So don't even try? I guess why bother if you are happy in your religion.
If evidence is not satisfying, saying you do not know is about as scientific as you can get. I'm open to review evidence of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often, evidence is not satisfying because it falsifies a long-held religious belief.
I think it could then be said that God's word is found often not satisfying for some here because it falsifies a long-held scientific belief.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. fossils

To answer the title question -- yes, that's possible. Such details are not crucial for us to believe one way or another. Adam could have been literally the first of all of our kind, the first "modern human", or have come later, either way, and that would not matter of course. We remember that when Cain left he went to the land of Nod and took a wife there, and we do not have to presume that wife was Neanderthal, heh heh. She may not have been.

Because I think God literally created all that is, that means I think the Lord God created Physics!

The Laws of Nature -- Physics -- might not be just window dressing (and certainly doesn't seem window dressing to those of us educated in it at University), but could even be, maybe, the key and central act of creation, to speak our Physics into existence.

The Big Bang we understand happens instantly in response to our physics existing, and is our physics in action.

Such speculations are not of any key importance to believers though.

It is only good for some to be aware that they don't have to believe physics is false in order to believe in God!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Often, evidence is not satisfying because it falsifies a long-held religious belief.
I don't really have any beliefs on how old the universe is tho, it's not necessary for me to know so I can have no opinion until good evidence appears.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it could then be said that God's word is found often not satisfying for some here because it falsifies a long-held scientific belief.

The point is that scientific theories are falsifiable. In the history of science theories have been modified or actually rejected. But this happens based on evidence not belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Because I believe God literally created all that is, that means I believe He created physics. Does that make sense? I don't think for instance God created A, B, and C, but someone else did R, S, and T. More details in my post just above.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  1. fossils

Are you sure that holds water?

Like I always say, science demonstrates nothing, people only give their opinions of what the natural reveals, and people can miss so much.

200,000 yrs leaves lots of room for error. :)

• Agree
Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
modern humans appeared in Ethiopia 200,000
Adam is the patriarch of the humans alive today. Y chromosome most recent common ancestor. (Y-MRCA) Humans most likely go back further but they do not share a common ancestor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems to be some gender confusion here.
sorry I fixed it. The matriarch would be based on the mitochondrial MTDNA. Men carry their mother's mitochondrial. Just like women carry their father's Y chromosome. At some point in time we all share a common ancestor.

Upvote 0