✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
disciple2011 said:
Merry Christmas is not teaching the gospel.

Christ wasn't born in December.
Christ never commanded a celebration of his birth.
Christmas has little to do with Christmas anymore.

This is strictly for men to brag they are pious before other men.

And yes it is eye for an eye when you MUST have your tradition to supersede other peoples' feelings.

YOU would not wish to be offended. Hence you should not feel it is your right to offend. But instead you feel it is your right to do as you please and either people parrot it back or shut up.

Now you are being told to change and you don't like it.

That is the thing about many Christians, when the shoe is on the other foot they complain just as loudly as any secularist.

Nobody said that saying Merry Christmas is teaching the Gospel. Nobody said Jesus was born in December. But somebody (you) strangely claims that saying Merry Christmas is "an eye for an eye". Let me ask you this. You seem adamant about me not offending people. Why are you not equally adamant about people not offending me?

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I made a pretty big mistake one Christmas when I stopped in a mini-mart to get a soda. They were giving out free candy canes (sans shank). I'm not a candy person so i took the two candy canes and outside the store, 2 boys about 8 years old were just getting off their bikes to go in the store, so I asked them if they would like the candy. They both jumped on their bikes and hightailed home

Without the candy canes? That's a shame. I would like to live in a world where people can be kind to children - and children could feel safe to accept the kindness.

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Nobody said that saying Merry Christmas is teaching the Gospel. Nobody said Jesus was born in December. But somebody (you) strangely claims that saying Merry Christmas is "an eye for an eye". Let me ask you this. You seem adamant about me not offending people. Why are you not equally adamant about people not offending me?

"Originally Posted by MachZer0 Apparently your idea of the second greatest commandment is "This little light of mine, hide it under a bushel.""

That teaching was about the gospel of Jesus.

So you implied that saying Merry Christmas was the same as sharing the gospel.

Are you forgetful or not forthright?

Yes you, as a Christian, are commanded to uphold the Second Great Commandment, even if others do not do it to you.

Your King said it was a command, not a suggestion.

Now if your sovereign commands something of you and you do not do it what do you become?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
disciple2011 said:
"Originally Posted by MachZer0 http://www.christianforums.com/t7602205-post58891903/#post58891903 Apparently your idea of the second greatest commandment is "This little light of mine, hide it under a bushel.""

That teaching was about the gospel of Jesus.

So you implied that saying Merry Christmas was the same as sharing the gospel.

Are you forgetful or not forthright?

Yes you, as a Christian, are commanded to uphold the Second Great Commandment, even if others do not do it to you.

Your King said it was a command, not a suggestion.

Now if your sovereign commands something of you and you do not do it what do you become?

Letting my light shine does not necessarily mean teaching the Gospel and the commandment does not mean not offending someone. Did Jesus offend anyone? Yes, Did He violate the commandment? No. Again , why is there no concern on your part about offending those with whom you disagree?

Upvote 0

Self Improvement

Jun 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The culture war is about to heat up due to the Christmas season. Those who deny the war exists are attempting to gain ground by berating one side hoping to detract from the real battles that may lie ahead in the next two months
battle_santa.jpg

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The culture war is about to heat up due to the Christmas season. Those who deny the war exists are attempting to gain ground by berating one side hoping to detract from the real battles that may lie ahead in the next two months
Sadly, it appears to have gotten ugly already ... very ugly.

SantaChrist.gif

Upvote 0

Self Improvement

Jun 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The first rule of the War on Christmas is that anyone who denies there's a War on Christmas are the ones waging war on Christmas.
The first rule of the war on christmas should be don't talk about the war on christmas, it's annoying.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
USincognito said:
The first rule of the War on Christmas is that anyone who denies there's a War on Christmas are the ones waging war on Christmas.

The first rue would actually by to deny it exists despite the facts

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Letting my light shine does not necessarily mean teaching the Gospel and the commandment does not mean not offending someone. Did Jesus offend anyone? Yes, Did He violate the commandment? No. Again , why is there no concern on your part about offending those with whom you disagree?

Jesus offended those whom knew The Law and did not follow it. He did not offend those that were not even of that Law. Only those whom knew better. You know that as well. You are being disingenuous.

These people that do not wish to hear your Merry Christmas are by and large not Christians. They have their own faith or lack thereof. And although YOU may think they are wrong. Your King would have you treat them in the way you would want to be treated.

So you MUST want to be derided for not being like them, for that is how you treat them. Is Merry Christmas so important that you cannot say it amongst those whom know you and share your beliefs and leave it at that so you do not cause others not of your belief to have to admit to you that is not my belief? Is it a pleasure for you to one up them, make yourself feel smugly superior to them? Or are you spoiling for a fight, a confrontation?

That seems to be your MO in these forums. You purposefully use words to drum up dissent so you feel empowered by it. Peace is not your cup of tea it seems but division.

You would like it if someone else shoves their beliefs down your throat? But instead of following The Second Command of your King you will make sure that your way is front and center despite being told to be humble, gentle and peaceful.

Your King commands you to not purposefully lash out at others because of your frustration just to lash out. It is not right and he lets you know this. But you refuse to listen, you would only follow the Second when you are with your own kind or when it is convenient. That is not how commands by sovereigns are supposed to be done.

Now what is it called when you do not follow the commands of a King?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I see this picture - and I can't tell which side has won!
ROTFL ... By golly, I believe you're right, Grizzly.

Nailing Santa to the cross is completey ambiguous ... ^_^^_^^_^

FAIL

Unless, of course, the objective was simply humor. :thumbsup:

SantaChrist.gif

Reactions: craigerNY
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
disciple2011 said:
Jesus offended those whom knew The Law and did not follow it. He did not offend those that were not even of that Law. Only those whom knew better. You know that as well. You are being disingenuous.

These people that do not wish to hear your Merry Christmas are by and large not Christians. They have their own faith or lack thereof. And although YOU may think they are wrong. Your King would have you treat them in the way you would want to be treated.

So you MUST want to be derided for not being like them, for that is how you treat them. Is Merry Christmas so important that you cannot say it amongst those whom know you and share your beliefs and leave it at that so you do not cause others not of your belief to have to admit to you that is not my belief? Is it a pleasure for you to one up them, make yourself feel smugly superior to them? Or are you spoiling for a fight, a confrontation?

That seems to be your MO in these forums. You purposefully use words to drum up dissent so you feel empowered by it. Peace is not your cup of tea it seems but division.

You would like it if someone else shoves their beliefs down your throat? But instead of following The Second Command of your King you will make sure that your way is front and center despite being told to be humble, gentle and peaceful.

Your King commands you to not purposefully lash out at others because of your frustration just to lash out. It is not right and he lets you know this. But you refuse to listen, you would only follow the Second when you are with your own kind or when it is convenient. That is not how commands by sovereigns are supposed to be done.

Now what is it called when you do not follow the commands of a King?

That seems to me to be very convoluted logic. Did Jesus bring His message only to those who wanted to hear it? Nope. Did He keep quiet to avoid offending people? Nope. If I lived in a country that had a national holiday respecting an event which I did not respect, I would not expect them to hold their tongues and when they spoke of the event, I would not be offended. Isn't it odd that multiculturalism seeks to silence, or at least restrict, the dominant culture

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
War | Define War at Dictionary.com

war1   [wawr] Show IPA noun, verb, warred, war·ring, adjective
noun
a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air.
a state or period of armed hostility or active military operations: The two nations were at war with each other.
a contest carried on by force of arms, as in a series of battles or campaigns: the War of 1812.
active hostility or contention; conflict; contest: a war of words.
aggressive business conflict, as through severe price cutting in the same industry or any other means of undermining competitors: a fare war among airlines; a trade war between nations.

A bit of a stretch to call it 'active hostility or contention.' Although I guess that's where you're working from. As the contention and hostility here is limited to a few humorless atheists and some conservatives aching to martyr themselves, using the term 'war' does seem hyperbolic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0