The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If I stood are your side of the issue, I would be reluctant to answer that question as well. Are you familiar with that river in Egypt?

That which is claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have no issue at all so long as the teacher does not get equally offended by a student saying back happy yule, happy Chanukah or other end of the year festival.

But seeing how many Christians are already touchy about the subject enough to get the panties in a twist because many would rather not offend by saying happy holidays I doubt they will take it in the same vein as the Second Great Command that they are supposed to follow.
Thou shalt not offend. Is that your interpretation of the 1st Amendment or the Second Great Commandment?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A lot of our liberal friends have tomake light of the War on Christmas and the Culture War in general. The reason being that said wars expose their animosity toward the free exercise clause of the st Amendment, which they by all appearances like to redact from the Constitution

Remember that the freedom of religion clause of the First Amendment applies to every religion, not just Christianity. How would you feel about stores using "Happy Ramadan" or Merry Yom Kippur"? I can just imagine what the reaction of many Christians on the Right would be to that!

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I stood are your side of the issue, I would be reluctant to answer that question as well. Are you familiar with that river in Egypt?
Forgive me but your sentence is incoherent so I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remember that the freedom of religion clause of the First Amendment applies to every religion, not just Christianity. How would you feel about stores using "Happy Ramadan" or Merry Yom Kippur"? I can just imagine what the reaction of many Christians on the Right would be to that!
Nice dodge, along with the others. Notice that nobody wants to answer the question?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Cute use of a link and pun, works better with a reference to French or Cajuns first though.

As evidence it seems to be more evidence of stupid (or worse) school administrators than any blanket ban of saying 'Merry Christmas' however.

Unless we are counting a ban by someone who wants to complain about the very ban they made (while blaming it on others).

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Cute use of a link and pun, works better with a reference to French or Cajuns first though.

As evidence it seems to be more evidence of stupid (or worse) school administrators than any blanket ban of saying 'Merry Christmas' however.

Unless we are counting a ban by someone who wants to complain about the very ban they made (while blaming it on others).

His story is a perfect example of the imaginary war on Christmas. According to the Principal of the school, Chrismas spirit and celebration is alive and well at the school.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Another nice dodge. I'm starting to see a pattern here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His story is a perfect example of the imaginary war on Christmas. According to the Principal of the school, Chrismas spirit and celebration is alive and well at the school.
So first it was claimed there is no evidence, and now that evidence has been provided, it is ignored in order not to answer the question. Hmmm, definitely a pattern here which confirms my original statement

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of our liberal friends have tomake light of the War on Christmas and the Culture War in general. The reason being that said wars expose their animosity toward the free exercise clause of the st Amendment, which they by all appearances like to redact from the Constitution

WOOHOOO! I am telling you, the War on Christmas is gonna be a good one this year! It's been kinda tame the last couple of years. But I gotta feeling this year is going to be a doozy!

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So first it was claimed there is no evidence,
That is because no evidence was provided until after I made the remark :wave:

and now that evidence has been provided, it is ignored in order not to answer the question. Hmmm, definitely a pattern here which confirms my original statement
The question was answered. The answer was "His story is a perfect example of the imaginary war on Christmas". It is imaginary because the Principal instructed the teachers to refrain from any references religious in nature. That would fall under a war on religious holidays, and not just Christmas :D

Once again your example of an attack on Christmas fails to hit paydirt. :wave:

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
WOOHOOO! I am telling you, the War on Christmas is gonna be a good one this year! It's been kinda tame the last couple of years. But I gotta feeling this year is going to be a doozy!
It is getting me in the spirit just thinking about it! What would a war of Christmas be without somebody like Machzero to lead the charge. IIRC, isnt he the reason we can now participate in thoughtful discussion regarding a war on Christmas?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is because no evidence was provided until after I made the remark :wave:

The question was answered. The answer was "His story is a perfect example of the imaginary war on Christmas". It is imaginary because the Principal instructed the teachers to refrain from any references religious in nature. That would fall under a war on religious holidays, and not just Christmas :D
I see. The dodge WAS the answer :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not in agreement. I think most liberals will have more on their minds this year and will not want to "draw first blood". A big battle this year in the War on Christmas could get people riled up and we will be embarking on an election year shortly after Christmas. Obama and Democrats in general cannot afford to help in motivating the conservatives any more than they are already motivated

Upvote 0

disciple2011

Jun 5, 2011
✟16,489.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Thous shalt not offend. Is that your interpretation of the 1st Amendment or the Second Great Commandment?

What is the Second Great Commandment?

To love your neighbour as yourself.

That means if YOU would not like to be treated poorly so too you should not do that to others.

Your method is fire with fire or biblically eye for an eye. Which was rescinded by your King. Your sovereign, whom you must obey or risk becoming what?

Upvote 0