• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

War on Christmiss* Compilation Thread

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by RealDealNeverstop, Oct 21, 2011.

1. SithDoughnut

SithDoughnut The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist

+251
    Atheist
    Private

2. RealDealNeverstop

RealDealNeverstop Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?

+1,183
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    When I read this post all I could think is the word "uptight" needs an enema.

3. proficient

proficient Guest

+0
    Like none of us know that the NYT can't be trusted.

Basically, megachurches suck because they Walmarticize Christ.[/quote]

Well, I can see you are a fair minded individual. I humbly welcome all your advice. By the way, have you ever been to a "megachurch"?

It doesn't have to be. Do you think the reasons are different from year to year? Having served at several midnight masses and Christmas services I am well aware of the problems involved.

4. Brits are awesome! Don't make me pounce you and use you as a pillow again.

5. RealDealNeverstop

+1,183
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Show us why NYT can't be trusted. Do you realize how silly it is too complain about the NYT reporting on closed churches on Christmas only for you to then admit it happens and then try to defend it?

The poster was specifically talking about the year Christmas fell on a Sunday. It would help to understand other's arguments if you paid closer attention to the posts.

My advice for megachurches: try following Jesus.

They are the exact institutions of self righteous piety Jesus condemned because they exist only to serve themselves and not Jesus. Oh, you would like an example? Sure. There are countless homeless people yet these churches hold thousands of square feet of wasted space. With all of the resources available these "churches" are in a great position to actually help people who need it the most yet they are too caught up in their own glory to be able to glorify God.

I have been to megachurhes but even if I had not visited them it wouldn't change the veracity of my criticism. Do you actually need to go to Hell to know it is not a Christ honoring place?

6. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,617
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    If fruitcakes that are a Christmas tradition are off topic for a war on Christmas thread :)confused:) then the Brit OR French wouldn't be anywhere close to topic :)

7. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,550
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    What if the story is about something throwing a fruitcake at a couple who just happen to look like Thatcher and Churchill because they didn't say, "Merry Christmas"?

I must now find this story.

8. TerranceL

TerranceL Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?

+4,550
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Those are nationalities and not races.

9. RedDead1981

RedDead1981 Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere

+155
    Unitarian
    Private
    US-Others
    lol Godspeed!

10. MachZer0

MachZer0 Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The national Christmas tree is on its way to D.C. Meaning the Christmas season is upon us. We'll see who decides to draw first blood in the coming battles. My money is on Obama insisting that it's a holiday tree.

11. proficient

proficient Guest

+0
    It's REALLY silly to make a big deal out of something you couldn't otherwise care less about. It was obvious what the poster was doing - it was a cynical attempt to criticize a policy they knew nothing about on the grounds that "conservatives want more Christ into Christmas". And the person who originally posted the comment about churches closing DID NOT post the article, anyway.

It's because it has no veracity. When are you Pharisees going to stop ordering everybody else around and do something about the world's problems yourself? Jesus was against that, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  12. RealDealNeverstop

+1,183
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    You obviously missed the whole point. The poster was pointing out the irony that so many megachurches closed on CHRISTMAS when many of the same groups cry about being victims in the WoC.

You didnt even have the integrity to honestly quote my post. You asked for advice on megachurches and when it is given you delete it. That was a cowardly move.

13. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+6,732
    Agnostic
    Married

Ah man! And I was hoping to get in the first blow this year! If I call it a holiday tree now can we pretend I drew first blood?

14. Grizzly

Grizzly Enemy of Christmas Supporter

+1,610
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Do it! Call it a holiday tree. Strike a blow for Anti-Christmas Jihadis everywhere.

15. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+8,227
    Methodist
    Married
    How many shopping days are left, now?

[​IMG]

This is relevant to the discussion, isn't it?

16. RedDead1981

RedDead1981 Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere

+155
    Unitarian
    Private
    US-Others
    lol A family friend just posted on her FB that she was almost finished wrapping presents. Geez.

17. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+9,345
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    I suppose 'bigotry', 'jingoism' or 'chauvinism' would have been more appropriate descriptions of Brit & French bashing than 'racism'. Well, it is all in the spirit of War if not of Christmas (let alone of Christ). ;)

18. NightHawkeye

NightHawkeye Work-in-progress Supporter

+8,227
    Methodist
    Married
    Ahh ... Christmas Jingo. Here ya go ...

[​IMG]

19. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,315
    Atheist
    Single
    I remember one year recently where one of the home improvement stores had X-mas stuff up before halloween.

20. Cute Tink

Cute Tink Blah Supporter

+4,348
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Quite a few places around here have had Christmas stuff out the last few weeks. Target, Walmart and I think even Home Depot have had it up at least 2 weeks now.