• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

War Crime Pardons

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by RocksInMyHead, May 21, 2019.

1. variant

variant Happy Cat

+3,681
    Agnostic
    Single
    It's going to be pretty hard pretending to be the "good guys" when you're pro war crime.

2. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+15,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    He also has the authority to replace "Hail to the Chief" with "The Merry Go Round Broke Down" for whenever he makes an entrance at an official function...

That doesn't make it a good idea, no matter how appropriate it might be.

3. TLK Valentine

+15,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    Depends on what you can get away with doing to the people who call you out on it.

Reminds me of a line from Zorro, the Gay Blade (not what it sounds like)

Don Diego:
    The people are quite happy working the land for the aristocracy...

Charlotte Taylor Wilson:
    You don't really believe the people are happy!

Don Diego:
    All I know is the soldiers are quite happy shooting the people who say the people are not happy.

4. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,621
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I'm curious to hear what your actual opinion of this is. You are military correct?

5. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,549
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Trump pardoned them because they were wrongfully convicted. Trump knows all. Trump can do no wrong.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,621
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    I think this is dangerous for reasons that the article posted by @RocksInMyHead state well. But even besides that, the timing makes it fairly obvious this is meant to be a PR stunt.

7. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,000
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    You can look up the case. You can read up on what the case for the defense was, and the reasons why his conviction was appealed.

Put it this way: arguably he was wrongfully convicted. This pardon didn't just fall out of the sky.

8. USincognito

USincognito Milk-Bones for Cerberus is a cool album name Supporter

+13,549
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Then you would rightfully be court martialed and sent to Leavenworth.

That would be U.S. military or American military. The only time USA is used as an adjective is in sports.

9. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+1,006
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    That was only one of the cases I mentioned (Behenna). And the arguable wrongful conviction was dismissed on appeal. It's pretty flimsy. In essence, an expert witness who agreed that he was acting in self defense did not testify. However, the court had ruled that, as the initial aggressor, Behenna forfeited the right to self-defense, so whether or not an expert agreed was irrelevant.

To clarify, he stripped a captive naked and threatened him with death - against orders, as he was supposed to be returning the man home - if he did not provide information. When the man attempted to escape/fight back, he shot him.

At any rate, he had not exhausted the appeals process, and his case was still scheduled for review at the end of this month. It would seem premature for the President to step in. (missed that the article I was reading was from 2013) Further, the circumstances would appear - to me - to warrant nothing more than a new trial, at most. The facts of the case are not in dispute here, merely the interpretation of them.

Gallagher and and Golsteyn have not been tried yet, so no one can make a determination of whether or not they are innocent of the charges, and I haven't seen anyone dispute the legal aspects of the other cases mentioned.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+2,621
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    The President is also supposedly looking at issues pardons to a couple of cases that haven't be tried by court-martial yet.

11. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,365
    United States
    Married
    Yes I am, 23 ½ years active and so far 2 ¼ years in the Michigan National Guard. This is my actual opinion due to the lack of praise on how great of an idea it was. I did not agree with Obama’s prisoner swap and do not agree with this.

12. TLK Valentine

+15,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    How long (especially considering how he's beating the war drums against Iran) before he starts pardoning war crimes that haven't been committed yet?

13. Aryeh Jay

+7,365
    United States
    Married
    He is fulling his Presidential duty that he was chosen to do by the American People. He is also setting the precedent for his own future pardon if the failing Democrats try to impeach him. Very unwise for the Democrats to do such a thing to the most popular President in all time. Sour Grapes. Sad.

14. Desk trauma

Desk trauma Atheist Capitalist Supporter

+5,409
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I anxiously await a modification to his speech telling police to be rough with those they arrest.

15. TLK Valentine

+15,900
    Agnostic
    Single
    Taking his previous suggestions and turning them into orders? That's for when the protests start in earnest...

16. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+1,135
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Arguably, it was self-defense from a prisoner that he was suppose to be freeing and instead was interrogating the man while he was naked.

There is so much wrong there that this man should be locked away for war crimes. The pardon just shows how poorly Trump thinks of the law.

17. Aryeh Jay

+7,365
    United States
    Married
    Only Trump and not the Oklahoma elected officials and military Generals and Admirals calling for the pardon?

18. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+6,418
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I hope active-duty and retired military and their families are paying attention to this.

If they have excused the president's bought-and-paid-for Vietnam deferment and his other actions against the military, I hope they will see that Trump's support for a "military without morals" discredits all its members, along with the Constitution of our country.

19. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+1,135
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Good point. They don't help either.

20. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,300
    Christian
    Married
    There has been nothing said about him being wrongly convicted. If a wrongful conviction had been the case, should there have been an appeal of the original conviction?