Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have had this conversation with a couple people as of late.

Do you think there is a big difference between what you (personally) want and what you really need?

And how often do you think you know what you need, only to find out you have no idea what you are talking about?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think there is a big difference between what you (personally) want and what you really need?
Big enough. One example is I need a car, but I want it to be a nice one.

And how often do you think you know what you need, only to find out you have no idea what you are talking about?
Probably more than what most of us know or would want to admit.

Upvote 0

CoachR64

Awesome, with a side order of amazing
Jul 2, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
✟25,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is a huge difference, but I will say they both have an importance.

In material positions, I think it is most evident. We need clothes to keep warm, cover our bodies, etc... but do we need $150 jeans?

I think at times it is a good thing to give into the things we want, short of sin that is. I may not need a steak dinner, but if I am having a good week it might be nice to give in to the want and treat myself. It helps to promote a good mindset.

I think it is a healthy thing when we can use some of our wants to help fulfill our needs. All things must be in moderation of course.

I think the problem comes when people neglect their true needs to give into their wants. Credit card debt gets out of control, priorities get neglected, etc...

I think if a person is living within his/her needs, then it can he healthy to give into some of those wants to help feel the needs.

Coach

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have had this conversation with a couple people as of late.

i want what i need, and i need what i want.

Upvote 0

puddleoffaith

Veteran
Dec 18, 2007
✟11,002.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it depends what it is...depends on the person....people generally want more than they need. Then again, who is to really say what an absolute necessity is?
$150 jeans may in fact be a necessity to say...a jean model. Or someone that has an allergy to Walmart. hmm...OK, no one ever needs $150 jeans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gottabemore2life

Princess - Just a Little Girl
Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think it depends what it is...depends on the person....people generally want more than they need. Then again, who is to really say what an absolute necessity is?
$150 jeans may in fact be a necessity to say...a jean model. Or someone that has an allergy to Walmart. hmm...OK, no one ever needs $150 jeans.

Dang! Lol. I liked where you were going with this. :D

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because I feel like what I want and what I need are never the same things, usually.
there are dreamy things that i want really, but they don't make/dictate my happines or my needs or wants.

i figure, those things i can do if i have the time, space and money but those are small dreamy things.

i figure, dreaming are for those who are asleep all the time, and the people who are awake are the ones that turn their dreams into reality. so if i get the chance, those dreamy things will happen. but they aren't needs, or even a want, because they don't guide those things. and if don't, i'm not losing out.

my needs are the things i want that i can obtain. i need to be active. i'm a human being, so i have my hobbies that i, well, invest in. go big or go home is my theory. i need a job. it may not be a dream job, but i love working, and i like what i do a lot. i need clothes, so i'll buy nice clothes that i can afford. i need passions, so i fulfill that with the things i consider my passions. i need physical intimacy, so i'll get it when the time is right. i need a place to live, so i'll choose a place to live that i like, that i want.

to me, needs and wants equal the same thing. there is no differeniating between the two. the only way one can do that is to see the bad ways they live, and i'm tired of living bad/messing up. so that is a whole different topic to me. :)

Upvote 0

CoachR64

Awesome, with a side order of amazing
Jul 2, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
✟25,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
$150 jeans are not a need to anyone.

If it is a professional model getting paid, the jeans are provided for them.

I don't need to own a ferrari to be able to stand on the lot and sell them. Now, I might WANT one, but I don't need it to do my job well. My truck could get me back and forth to work just fine and fulfill my needs.

And I agree with Mina, the wants and needs are often intertwined.

Coach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

soccerdad66

Veteran
Apr 4, 2007
Washington
✟13,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
sometimes they intertwine
Like when you need a TV and want a Hi-Def picture, you get a Hi Def TV. Or I want to get in better shape, so I need to exercise. :p

I know what your saying actually, sometimes they intertwine, but more often it seems there's a difference, and they vary from person to person.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hmm i guess when iwas talking about intertwinment i wasn't thinking about material want or neeeds. I was thinking more in terms of relationships and how as i've gotten older i've started to see that the things that i need have become the things i really want- from friends or even a S/O. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, lol.

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Princess - Just a Little Girl
Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
hmm i guess when iwas talking about intertwinment i wasn't thinking about material want or neeeds. I was thinking more in terms of relationships and how as i've gotten older i've started to see that the things that i need have become the things i really want- from friends or even a S/O. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, lol.

Makes perfect sense to me. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

oh on that level...you've got a better start than me. :)

i don't even know what i want or need with intertwinment beyond things i can find in a male of a female, or the physical stuff, to which i don't want unless its either marriage or the relationship on its way to marriage and that not being just a talked about/hoped thing (which may mean, i don't know when the right time is either because i've been engaged before.)

my friend and i was talking about this. she even told me that she was thinking how she could see how i say, i don't know what i want or need with relationships, because she said, your right, the things you want you can find in a female friend and a guy friend or anyone.

so at least you got a head start, even tho i think by admitting i don't know what in teh world i need/want in a relationship, i think i'm making progress of my own accord. :)

Upvote 0

soccerdad66

Veteran
Apr 4, 2007
Washington
✟13,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Fair enough.

What I needed/wanted when I was 20 and 30, is different from now, which I'm sure of part of your point.

Upvote 0