31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm wanting to observe the Sabbath. However, I do not know how to observe it. I want to just relax at home but I realize I'm not comfortable doing that (I always have to have something to do or I feel like a sluggard). I have been convicted that I need to drive to town and hold up a sign that has a teaching of Jesus on it, but I'm not sure if this is allowed. My conscience won't let me just relax and read my bible and says I need to get out there and work for the Lord, but for months now my conscience has also been convicting me that I need to observe the Sabbath. Are these conflicting? I wouldn't be surprised because my conscience has convicted me of contradicting ideas before many times.

Reactions: Soyeong

Beorh

Writer of Dark Literature
Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Observe the Sabbath with words, thoughts, and actions that bring you joy and comfort in Jesus. But about holding a sign, understand that you will be seen as an extremist and Fundamentalist and disregarded in that respect. I am a Believer, and have been for nearly 50 years, and I still have no respect for "street preachers" who I see as defamers of the Good News of eternal life.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont believe we must observe sabbath. However, having said that, Jesus did good works on the sabbath. So if we are looking for something to do then that would be it.

Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well the point of Sabbath (Friday evening to Saturday evening) would be to set aside the day to rest in the remembrance of how God rested on the seventh day. Simply that. The idea of Sabbath now being necessarily a day of worship as in needing to be in a church is not law, but to assemble on a day where you're not working is usually part of it. If you're talking about the day of Pentecost (Sunday) then yes, the day is made to set aside in remembrance of how the spirit came down on the 1st day, so the assembling on that day is how people recognize it.

Assembling is not set to a day, you can worship with others any day of the week. Setting aside a day or time of the week to do work for God is not tied to a day, you can do that any day of the week. But if it helps your walk to set a day, do it. If you feel convicted to do some evangelism on that day, do it. God only asks of us not to forsake assembling with others (Hebrews 10), and being in a church organization that's already established kinda takes out the guesswork. That's why it is still strongly encouraged to join one and the choice of doing it on a day you're not working, "rest day".

That's my take on it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Beorh

Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the point of Sabbath (Friday evening to Saturday evening) would be to set aside the day to rest in the remembrance of how God rested on the seventh day. Simply that. The idea of Sabbath now being necessarily a day of worship as in needing to be in a church is not law, but to assemble on a day where you're not working is usually part of it. If you're talking about the day of Pentecost (Sunday) then yes, the day is made to set aside in remembrance of how the spirit came down on the 1st day, so the assembling on that day is how people recognize it.

Assembling is not set to a day, you can worship with others any day of the week. Setting aside a day or time of the week to do work for God is not tied to a day, you can do that any day of the week. But if it helps your walk to set a day, do it. If you feel convicted to do some evangelism on that day, do it. God only asks of us not to forsake assembling with others (Hebrews 10), and being in a church organization that's already established kinda takes out the guesswork. That's why it is still strongly encouraged to join one and the choice of doing it on a day you're not working, "rest day".

That's my take on it.

I assumed the Sabbath meant was Sunday. I was raised Baptist, and Sunday is often called that.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I assumed the Sabbath meant was Sunday. I was raised Baptist, and Sunday is often called that.

Sabbath is not Sunday. At all. Lol, we tend to mix up stuff without scriptural reference to what we are saying.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wanting to observe the Sabbath. However, I do not know how to observe it. I want to just relax at home but I realize I'm not comfortable doing that (I always have to have something to do or I feel like a sluggard). I have been convicted that I need to drive to town and hold up a sign that has a teaching of Jesus on it, but I'm not sure if this is allowed. My conscience won't let me just relax and read my bible and says I need to get out there and work for the Lord, but for months now my conscience has also been convicting me that I need to observe the Sabbath. Are these conflicting? I wouldn't be surprised because my conscience has convicted me of contradicting ideas before many times.
If you only understood the two great covenants, Sinai and the new covenant you would realize that the Sinai covenant was given to the nation of Israel as the way they were to live in the desert and in Canaan. It had nothing to do with the salvation of the individual Israelite. Ex 19:5-6 since it had nothing to do with salvation and ended when the new covenant was ratified with Jesus own blood it does not exist as commands for Christians.

The reason you do not know how to observe it is because the New Testament doesn't say anything about how we are supposed to observe it and why would it ? It is not part of Christianity. Nowhere in all of the new covenant are we required to observe laws given only to Israel. Those laws were not given as a means of salvation. Moses knew that and even wrote how Abraham was saved. It is unbelievable how some try to impose laws on Christians to try to keep us under their thumbs. Sabbath observance is only one way, but it seems to have the biggest impact because most are not biblical savvy. Where there is no law there is no sin. Read 2Cor3:7-11 those verses will tell you that we are not under the requirements of the 10 commandments with its ritual Sabbath requirement.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Observe the Sabbath with words, thoughts, and actions that bring you joy and comfort in Jesus. But about holding a sign, understand that you will be seen as an extremist and Fundamentalist and disregarded in that respect. I am a Believer, and have been for nearly 50 years, and I still have no respect for "street preachers" who I see as defamers of the Good News of eternal life.

With all due respect, what about all the men of God who preached in the streets? I kinda know what your talking about and I have always felt that it's weird as well, but there will always be people that are going to disregard what you say no matter how you say it. I was out a few days ago thinking how weird it was and how I would rather be just showing people Christ's teachings by my good works. Then I considered that maybe the work was doing more than I thought it was. It may be the only bit of Bible some people get in there lives. Plus I wouldn't say I preach. I'm not comfortable doing that, unless just holding a sign and only saying something when people talk to you is considered preaching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you only understood the two great covenants, Sinai and the new covenant you would realize that the Sinai covenant was given to the nation of Israel as the way they were to live in the desert and in Canaan. It had nothing to do with the salvation of the individual Israelite. Ex 19:5-6 since it had nothing to do with salvation and ended when the new covenant was ratified with Jesus own blood it does not exist as commands for Christians.

The reason you do not know how to observe it is because the New Testament doesn't say anything about how we are supposed to observe it and why would it ? It is not part of Christianity. Nowhere in all of the new covenant are we required to observe laws given only to Israel. Those laws were not given as a means of salvation. Moses knew that and even wrote how Abraham was saved. It is unbelievable how some try to impose laws on Christians to try to keep us under their thumbs. Sabbath observance is only one way, but it seems to have the biggest impact because most are not biblical savvy. Where there is no law there is no sin. Read 2Cor3:7-11 those verses will tell you that we are not under the requirements of the 10 commandments with its ritual Sabbath requirement.

I don't think it is something I totally understand, at least all the implications of them. It is a subject I don't feel comfortable laying on others in regards to what they should do. I have my own convictions, and I've found them at times to even wind up being unbiblical, but if they aren't a sin for me to do then I feel comfortable doing them. (Just woke up from a nap though, and I can see I definitely don't feel comfortable doing nothing all day.) One thing I don't feel comfortable doing is telling others they must obey the mosaic law in order to follow Christ.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hi 31gH9N.9.,

Nice to see someone God is leading as you study God's Word.

God bless you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LGW is claiming that it is God's leading. If God is leading people to observe a day then why get in His way? SDAs spend countless millions trying to convince people that they should observe the old covenant Sabbath and have very few takers. This is so in all but the 3rd World countries where the people are not Biblical savvy. If, as they tell us, the 10 commandments, with its Sabbath command, are written on our hearts, then why is it so very hard to get people converted? The fact is that it is the law of love that is implanted on our hearts and it is the Holy Spirit that guides us and not the 10 commandments and their prophet as the SDAs claim.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is something I totally understand, at least all the implications of them. It is a subject I don't feel comfortable laying on others in regards to what they should do. I have my own convictions, and I've found them at times to even wind up being unbiblical, but if they aren't a sin for me to do then I feel comfortable doing them. (Just woke up from a nap though, and I can see I definitely don't feel comfortable doing nothing all day.) One thing I don't feel comfortable doing is telling others they must obey the mosaic law in order to follow Christ.
You would feel very comfortable if the Holy Spirit was guiding you to bring others to Jesus by observing a day. That is not what the plan of Salvation is all about. Abraham was saved because He believed in God and put his faith in Him. He was not a Sabbath observer. This is how all mankind attains eternal life. This Sabbath thing is a sidetrack to get people to join a certain group. Other groups use other methods to increase their ranks. Some tell us we have to speak in tongues, some tell us we have to believe in Joe Smith or Taz Russell or the Cambellites (church of Christ without musical instruments). Those are just a few of the many that have some agenda to lure the unsuspecting into their folds.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You would feel very comfortable if the Holy Spirit was guiding you to bring others to Jesus by observing a day. That is not what the plan of Salvation is all about. Abraham was saved because He believed in God and put his faith in Him. He was not a Sabbath observer. This is how all mankind attains eternal life. This Sabbath thing is a sidetrack to get people to join a certain group.

Lol well, of course, Abraham wasn't a Sabbath observer, Judaism wasn't even established yet.:p

The Sabbath was established in the Ten Commandments, so although I agree that we ought not to legalize it to be a benchmarker of if you will go to Hell or Heaven, I wouldn't shun it nor those that still uphold it as it does bring along the importance of putting things into remembrance, reflecting on its significance, and giving God glory for it. Do we need a Sabbath, water baptism, to celebrate Passover etc? It's not required, but the act of it still highlights and celebrates its importance, and the significance of these things in the ways it has influenced our understanding of our faith.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lol well, of course, Abraham wasn't a Sabbath observer, Judaism wasn't even established yet.:p

The Sabbath was established in the Ten Commandments, so although I agree that we ought not to legalize it to be a benchmarker of if you will go to Hell or Heaven, I wouldn't shun it nor those that still uphold it as it does bring along the importance of putting things into remembrance, reflecting on its significance, and giving God glory for it. Do we need a Sabbath, water baptism, to celebrate Passover etc? It's not required, but the act of it still highlights and celebrates its importance, and the significance of these things in the ways it has influenced our understanding of our faith.
The Jewish Sabbath was part of the law.

Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what the believer now has is better than the law.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Beorh

Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With all due respect, what about all the men of God who preached in the streets? I kinda know what your talking about and I have always felt that it's weird as well, but there will always be people that are going to disregard what you say no matter how you say it. I was out a few days ago thinking how weird it was and how I would rather be just showing people Christ's teachings by my good works. Then I considered that maybe the work was doing more than I thought it was. It may be the only bit of Bible some people get in there lives. Plus I wouldn't say I preach. I'm not comfortable doing that, unless just holding a sign and only saying something when people talk to you is considered preaching.

I guess you mean Paul, et al in the New Testament? Public markets were where this always occurred in their culture. But when the Good News was brought to places where this was not common, other methods were used. St. Francis said 'Preach the good news at all times--and only use words when absolutely necessary.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Law or not law, if OP wants to keep the Sabbath, it harms nothing and is a good discipline. I hope we can honor the OP by sticking to the post rather than this disintegrating into another debate about Sabbath, the law, or which day.

Reactions: 31gH9N.9.
Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess you mean Paul, et al in the New Testament? Public markets were where this always occurred in their culture. But when the Good News was brought to places where this was not common, other methods were used. St. Francis said 'Preach the good news at all times--and only use words when absolutely necessary.'

I've always liked that quote from St. Francis. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Beorh
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While We should not do servile work and buy/sell on the Sabbath, it's okay to do GOOD on the Sabbath

The past few Sabbaths, My friend and I have visited the local shelters to donate food & clothing & hygiene products & to check and see what kind of supplies and stuff that they need. We get them throughout the week and then come back and donate them.

the Messiah was out and about doing good on the Sabbath, but he wasn't working as a carpenter or buying/selling on the Sabbath.

We even got to meet and share our testimonies of Christ & the Sabbath to some Jehovahs Witnesses. We shouldn't be couped up in the closet on Sabbath.

Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Beorh

Sep 2, 2017
Saint Augustine
Visit site
✟15,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While We should not do servile work and buy/sell on the Sabbath, it's okay to do GOOD on the Sabbath

The past few Sabbaths, My friend and I have visited the local shelters to donate food & clothing & hygiene products & to check and see what kind of supplies and stuff that they need. We get them throughout the week and then come back and donate them.

the Messiah was out and about doing good on the Sabbath, but he wasn't working as a carpenter or buying/selling on the Sabbath.

We even got to meet and share our testimonies of Christ & the Sabbath to some Jehovahs Witnesses. We shouldn't be couped up in the closet on Sabbath.

Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath

What about those of us Believers who have jobs where we are required to work on Sunday? If you are meaning Saturday as the Sabbath, that is not Christian, it is Jewish.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about those of us Believers who have jobs where we are required to work on Sunday? If you are meaning Saturday as the Sabbath, that is not Christian, it is Jewish.
The Sabbath of God that was made for mankind is the 7th Days Sabbath. The 1st day of the week is not the Sabbath. There is only 1 Sabbath and it is the 7th day of the week, not the 1st day

Exodus 20:8-11
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of יהוה thy God:
in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days יהוה made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore יהוה blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

God is our example of why we are called to work 6 days and rest on the 7th day(the Sabbath)

What kind of job do you have? The 1st day of the week is not the Sabbath, so it's okay to work on the first day of the week.

We should not be doing servile work on the Sabbath. Any of the other 6 days of the week are okay to work on.

Christians are called to rest on the 7th day too.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0