none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, many times I have heard well meaning Christians say something akin to I am (or my sin is) responsible for driving the nails into Christ, hanging Him on the cross, His crucifixion, or something like that.
I'm looking for the specific verse(s) that say that. Not imply, but say it. Not looking for brand interpretation or church fathers, but Bible verses only.
Thanks for your help.

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi, many times I have heard well meaning Christians say something akin to I am (or my sin is) responsible for driving the nails into Christ, hanging Him on the cross, His crucifixion, or something like that.
I'm looking for the specific verse(s) that say that. Not imply, but say it. Not looking for brand interpretation or church fathers, but Bible verses only.
Thanks for your help.

This verse below. There is a REASON that God did such a desperate thing as to sacrifice His sinless, only begotten Son, for us (all of mankind). We sinned. We needed a Savior. All of us do. That means you and me as well, do we not?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." ~Jn 3:16

Welcome to CF.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Unless you think you are not a sinner then 1Peter 3:18 says he died for you and me and all mankind ( some translations state it more clearly than others). If you want your name specifically brought out then you will have to go look at the lambs book of life and see if it's there.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the reply, but that verse does not qualify. I understand your sentiments, but that is not what I'm looking for.
Why ELSE would God sacrifice His sinless, only begotten Son, but for our sin? This includes ALL of us.

Upvote 0

scruffydog

Jan 4, 2020
none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

What I'm looking for is the verse(s) that are used to justify the view that I (or we) in the 21st century are responsible for driving the nails into Jesus hands, or something along those lines.

I have heard this many times over the decades since I was born again, but have never seen a verse(s) that states that idea specifically. Maybe I missed it. I suspect that it's not there at all, but is a concept designed to heap guilt on Christians.

I think it comes out of someone's theological system, but is not specifically stated in the Bible anywhere. Does that help?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand why you need a verse saying that specifically... It says he died for the sins of the whole world, that would mean he specifically died for you, so you were in part responsible for his crucifixion. It might not be stated exactly that way, but thats the logical conclusion.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your help.
This is in error and somewhat twisted so there is NO verse that states this. What it does say is Jesus Christ of Nazareth became the last sacrifice for sin not only for the Jews but also for the Gentile. He, Himself took the necessary step to heal us from sin because He loves us.
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sorry that you are not understanding what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for a verse that implies, but one that states. Exegesis, not eisegesis.
It does.

It's very clear.

It's also an excellent study, on how inexplicably God loved all of us. We NEEDED something. He provided it. We NEEDED something because of sin, that is spoken of way back in Genesis at the fall. Then there's the REASON for the fall. And that is sin. Sin contaminated every single one of us, since then. That leads us to John 3:16 and why in the world God did such a drastic thing.

Sin.

Upvote 0

scruffydog

Jan 4, 2020
none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I understand why you need a verse saying that specifically... It says he died for the sins of the whole world, that would mean he specifically died for you, so you were in part responsible for his crucifixion. It might not be stated exactly that way, but thats the logical conclusion.
Why I'm looking for it is not relevant. I'm simply asking if the passage exists. I may have missed it, but I cannot find that idea / concept stated explicitly. My reasons are personal.
Just because Jesus died for the sins of the world does not mean that I am responsible for driving the nails in His hands.
As I said earlier, I suspect this is a modern idea that comes out of someone's theological system rather than the Bible.

Reactions: Deus Vult!
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Why I'm looking for it is not relevant. I'm simply asking if the passage exists. I may have missed it, but I cannot find that idea / concept stated explicitly. My reasons are personal.
Just because Jesus died for the sins of the world does not mean that I am responsible for driving the nails in His hands.
As I said earlier, I suspect this is a modern idea that comes out of someone's theological system rather than the Bible.
You, and me, and we ALL are.

Who else did He die for?

He "took our place".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

scruffydog

Jan 4, 2020
none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You, and me, and we ALL are.

Who else did He die for?

He "took our place".
Please. Stop. Trying. To. Argue. Your. Point.

I am not arguing against the substitutionary atonement. I'm looking for evidence of what I asked for. I'm not arguing with you! Argh!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Please. Stop. Trying. To. Argue. Your. Point.

I am not arguing against the substitutionary atonement. I'm looking for evidence of what I asked for. I'm not arguing with you! Argh!
It's clear what was it Jesus died for.

And i'm not arguing. I'm merely pointing out a verse that speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

scruffydog

Jan 4, 2020
none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's clear what was it Jesus died for.

And i'm not arguing. I'm merely pointing out a verse that speaks for itself.
Ok, Lets think this through together. According to your interpretation of John 3:16, Nicodemus understood that he was responsible for driving the nails in Jesus hands and feet, for nailing Jesus to the cross, that night when he heard John 3:16. Correct? Is that what your saying?
And to take it one step further, all of the disciples in the New Testament would have understood that same concept. And to go one more step, therefore every human bring who has ever existed is directly responsible for nailing Jesus to the cross, for killing Jesus, because of John 3:16. That's what I am hearing you say. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It certainly implies that you are. If someone dies for you specifically, you are at least one cause of their death, if not the only cause. If you didn't sin, (and this includes every single person) he would not have had to die. So, yes, the Jews and Romans of that time were literally responsible for his death... but since he came to to Earth for the purpose of dying for you, you are ultimately responsible.

• Winner
Upvote 0

scruffydog

Jan 4, 2020
none
✟8,388.00
Country
Uzbekistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It certainly implies that you are. If someone dies for you specifically, you are at least one cause of their death, if not the only cause. If you didn't sin, (and this includes every single person) he would not have had to die. So, yes, the Jews and Romans of that time were literally responsible for his death... but since he came to to Earth for the purpose of dying for you, you are ultimately responsible.
So if you pushed me out of the way so that you took a bullet for me, in my place, then I am responsible, or the cause, of your death?

Upvote 0