Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thought I'd post this for anyone who is interested in learning more about evolutionary biology or biology in general. There is a free university-level course entitled "Introduction to Genetics and Evolution" available through Coursera: Introduction to Genetics and Evolution | Coursera

I took a similar course in university and it was quite enlightening and provided a solid basis for understanding of genetics and the mechanisms behind evolutionary change.

I've also done other courses via Coursera and it's pretty much what you'd expect from an online/remote university course: lecture videos, assignments, tests, the whole shebang.

I'd especially invite our creationist friends here to take such a course, since the more you learn about evolution the better equipped you'll be to argue against it, right? ;)

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thought I'd post this for anyone who is interested in learning more about evolutionary biology or biology in general. There is a free university-level course entitled "Introduction to Genetics and Evolution" available through Coursera: Introduction to Genetics and Evolution | Coursera

I took a similar course in university and it was quite enlightening and provided a solid basis for understanding of genetics and the mechanisms behind evolutionary change.

I've also done other courses via Coursera and it's pretty much what you'd expect from an online/remote university course: lecture videos, assignments, tests, the whole shebang.

I'd especially invite our creationist friends here to take such a course, since the more you learn about evolution the better equipped you'll be to argue against it, right? ;)

.... Oh brother !!! Just what I need--another biology course. :doh:

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd especially invite our creationist friends here to take such a course, since the more you learn about evolution the better equipped you'll be to argue against it, right?

Maybe I could take a course in the occult too, just what I need to go hand and hand with Christianity. :)

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe I could take a course in the occult too, just what I need to go hand and hand with Christianity. :)
So, Christianity doesn't teach you about Satan and the pitfalls you need to be aware of? It seems like that topic is already part of your curriculum. Back to it though, what does Christianity teach you regarding Genetics? Please point out biblical references where it educates you on evolution and why you should avoid it in the same way it informs you of Satan and what you ought to be doing to avoid hell.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, Christianity doesn't teach you about Satan and the pitfalls you need to be aware of?

Why are you, asking me that?

It seems like that topic is already part of your curriculum.

The study of the occult is part of my curriculum? mmmnope, not a'tall.

Back to it though, what does Christianity teach you regarding Genetics?

Why are you asking me that?

Please point out biblical references where it educates you on evolution and why you should avoid it in the same way it informs you of Satan and what you ought to be doing to avoid hell.

Did I say it educated me on evolution? And the rest of what you are asking lol, is so bizarre a reply to what I said, not even worth commenting on. Actually it's all bizarre, just trying to be polite as possible by giving you some answer.

Or, in short.....:eek:

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why are you, asking me that?
Well, I figured when you said
"Maybe I could take a course in the occult too, just what I need to go hand and hand with Christianity. :)"
you were being sarcastic in that you had no intention of knowing the first thing about it. Was I wrong?
The study of the occult is part of my curriculum? mmmnope, not a'tall.
Soooo..... how is it that you know about Satan? How would you know what the occult is? Where did you learn about Hell?
Why are you asking me that?
Because the Bible never touches on Genetics in any way, how do you know it's comparable to the occult? (if the first premise I made were accurate, that is)
Did I say it educated me on evolution? And the rest of what you are asking lol, is so bizarre a reply to what I said, not even worth commenting on. Actually it's all bizarre, just trying to be polite as possible by giving you some answer.

Or, in short.....:eek:
I know it doesn't educate you in Evolution, not even one whit! This is why I'm confused about your complete resistance to it as if it were the work of the devil. If you know nothing about it, why do you resist it with the same fervor?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I figured when you said
"Maybe I could take a course in the occult too, just what I need to go hand and hand with Christianity. :)"
you were being sarcastic in that you had no intention of knowing the first thing about it. Was I wrong?

Soooo..... how is it that you know about Satan? How would you know what the occult is? Where did you learn about Hell?

Because the Bible never touches on Genetics in any way, how do you know it's comparable to the occult? (if the first premise I made were accurate, that is)

I know it doesn't educate you in Evolution, not even one whit! This is why I'm confused about your complete resistance to it as if it were the work of the devil. If you know nothing about it, why do you resist it with the same fervor?

All you say is, once again, just too far out there for me to bother. You read way to much into things and somehow in your mind you came up with some bogus gotcha's that still have me wondering how you made certain connections.

Sorry, tried to be as polite as I could but this is beyond a waste of time. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All you say is, once again, just too far out there for me to bother. You read way to much into things and somehow in your mind you came up with some bogus gotcha's that still have me wondering how you made certain connections.

That's okay, thanks for conceding peacefully. :D

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't Sanballat us.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

While I do have some understanding of Evolution. I followed the idea of "sampling error" and "genetic drift." So far I've found no actual explanation of these terms and their value. And the phrase "Scientists believe" comes up often as I research this more.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Then what did you mean by your remarks? They struck me in much the same way as they did Bugeyed. If I post, I hope my meaning comes across clearly. I imagine that others have the same view: they want their thinking to be clearly understood. So would you invest the time to clarify what you did mean by your posts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then what did you mean by your remarks?

My remark:

Maybe I could take a course in the occult too, just what I need to go hand and hand with Christianity.

A simple and clearly sarcastic comment, no more, and I'm baffled you would even ask what that means.

I'll argue with people who have arguments, but would rather not with those who just want one. :)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My remark:

A simple and clearly sarcastic comment, no more, and I'm baffled you would even ask what that means.

I'll argue with people who have arguments, but would rather not with those who just want one. :)
I don't want an argument, I just want to try to understand what posters are trying to communicate.
Yes, your comment was sarcastic - I got that. But I still don't get the thrust of the sarcasm. Some of the possibilities that occurred to me:
1. The occult does not sit well with Christianity, neither does evolution.
2. Evolution has as much to support it as the occult - nothing.
3. The occult is the work of the devil and so to is evolution.
4. The occult doesn't interest me and neither does evolution.

I'm sure there are more. I'm still interested in what you wanted to convey. I would hope you want your readers to know what you meant, else why post.

I repeat, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm trying to attain understanding of your thinking. I can't do that without more help from you.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, why don't you want to learn evolution?

To whom are you speaking? If me...no, no more than I want to learn about flat earth.

I'm sure there are more. I'm still interested in what you wanted to convey. I would hope you want your readers to know what you meant, else why post.

I liked all 4. :)

Upvote 0