• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Want advice about submitting feedback to technology companies about temptation with their product

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟38,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please do not quote this post directly so that I can edit out information afterwards to remove personal information from Google.

I wanted to ask your thoughts on wisdom about submitting feedback to companies involved with technology about temptation that comes with their technology, app, or service.

From my experience it seems that if there is a problem with technology involving lust, that the companies will blame the person who has the problem and won’t take responsibility to fix or accommodate the person who has the struggle. For example, I used the Google Issue Tracker to explain that I needed Android to be resolved so that there was better security that could block access to settings that can easily remove content protection or accountability software. Google marked my request as “infeasible”. I switched to iPhone because of no resolution to the problems with Android.

One issue that concerns me is music subscriptions like Spotify or Apple music. My problem with music subscriptions is not with the language of the music - sometimes songs will be rated as explicit or clean based on the words. The struggle I face is to look with lust at pictures of women on the album art of music. I also know how to zoom in to the pictures to make them full screen size on my phone. Sometimes women can be really inappropriately dressed on album art. I am wondering if I should share my feedback with Apple, Spotify, Pandora, etc to explain this struggle and will they just judge me instead of seriously considering it? I am thinking of asking for an audio only subscription. Another aspect of the feedback is that I am trying to setup Pandora with iPhone’s restrictions so that I do not have cellular data access so that I can’t access online music at home but still can use Pandora plus subscription to download albums for offline listening. I’m not sure I should describe my struggle or merely say that the app fails to load correctly with no WiFi or data access.

Another thing to submit feedback about is wanting Apple’s restrictions to be setup so that it is possible to block apps by location such as my home location. Appblock.app is an example of an app that can do that but Appblock doesn’t work correctly on iPhone. I could explain to Apple that I am tempted to look with lust at pictures of women displayed on listings for clothing stores in certain map apps, but I would want access to Apple and Google maps anywhere except my home location.

I can explain that I have struggled with an addiction to lust but think they may judge me rather than be willing to help or accommodate me.

Another aspect of the feedback for iPhone is that the Apple News app displayed a photo gallery of a celebrity in a bikini and a caption said on a close up photo, “Up close and personal”. I might submit feedback to Apple that even with restrictions setup with a strict allowed website only list, that this was still accessible within the Apple News app. I may quote the caption to them that was inappropriate but I may wonder if I would be doing that to be attention getting and will this attention be taken into serious consideration?

Apple seems to be a company that takes these things more seriously since they have screen-time on their phone which can be used to setup restrictions and Google has Google image search which displays explicit images. I am planning on posting an appeal on the Google issue tracker website in response to Google’s decision to mark my request as “infeasible” to have a way to block certain settings that can easily remove or circumvent content protection software. I’m not sure if I should explain that with Android’s settings I got involved staying up till 3 in the morning viewing photos and videos that were explicit and had to quit using the Android device.

Another thing to submit feedback to Apple about is a technical problem using a so called “child” account on iPhone when my friend will add web-sites to the allowed list, that the list will disappear on occasion resulting in unrestricted Internet access. My friend will fix the problem by turning screen-time on and off. However I want to submit to Apple feedback that this kind of glitch can get me into trouble with explicit content. I’m not sure how seriously they would consider helping an adult, but I’m sure that they would see this as a serious issue for an actual child using a child account setup by a parent.

So what do you think about submitting feedback to technology related companies? Again please don’t use the quote function so that I can edit some of this personal information out of my post at a later time.

Last edited:

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have an idea on the album covers issue. Send feedback like this: "Can you make an option to not load/show album covers in your app?" If you wanted to, you could say "so it will load faster" or "to save data". I know companies are less serious about Christian beliefs and I believe your true reasons will be mocked and discarded.

Upvote 0