Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is Walsingham still on the Orthodox radar?

our+lady+of+walsingham.jpg

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is .....

BUT

http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/zoodochos-pege.html

Zoodochos Pege is is also the dedication of that nice little Orthodox chapel up the stairs at the back of the Anglican Shrine Church of Our Lady of Walsingham. Suitably so, because a big part of the pilgrimages at Lourdes and Walsingham is the use of the water which our Lady showed to her servant. What a shame there is no Catholic Byzantine chapel at Walsingham! How lovely if the historically biritual Sons of the Most Holy Redeemer were able to start one!

And read here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...n-Walsingham_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good grief no !

There's an Anglican Shrine , and RC one and as I understand it a tiny Orthodox Chapel which is in an Anglican Church.

Who Serves the Orthodox Chapel - I don't know
I'm sorry. I really did misunderstand. I can't imagine any of the Churches thinking that is ok ...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's a small Western Rite parish near me with her as Patron.
Really? If you get a chance, please let me know where that is? Next time I come by that way, I might like a chance to attend a Western Rite service, just to experience it. I know of no others anywhere near a city I would likely visit.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

I didn't realize it was Walsingham. I thought it was just an Orthodox parish that happened to celebrate the WR.

I can't decide how I feel about that. I might go anyway for the sake of visiting, and I'm glad it's not some hybrid as I first thought. But I'm not sure I could get used to the idea of some of the things it talks about to the point of being comfortable with it being "Orthodox". I guess it's not for me to say. I wouldn't think it a good idea to take my anti-Catholic husband though. That much is very clear.

Thank you again for the link. I am curious to see a WR Liturgy/mass sometime.

Edit : oh duh - you said patron. I think I see better now. Sorry, much of this doesn't compute yet. Sorry I'm making many mistakes here. :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am curious to see a WR Liturgy/mass sometime.

this has come up in ROCOR, about using the early Western Liturgies more to attract Western Christians. the Liturgy of St. Tikhon I have seen, and if you like it that's awesome, but I found it lacking personally.

now, the pre-Schism Western Liturgies on the other hand are wonderful.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
this has come up in ROCOR, about using the early Western Liturgies more to attract Western Christians. the Liturgy of St. Tikhon I have seen, and if you like it that's awesome, but I found it lacking personally.

now, the pre-Schism Western Liturgies on the other hand are wonderful.
I know next to nothing about it. I do have a priest friend on FB (bit of an embarrassment to me - we chatted quite a bit about things both mundane and spiritual, and it wasn't until I saw photos posted where he flew to receive some special cross that I asked if he was ordained and I shouldn't be addressing him differently - and he's an Archpriest. I still forget to call him "Father" half the time). But he is WR, and has told me some about it. I didn't realize there were different kinds though, so I'll have to ask him. He talks about an ancient Liturgy, so maybe that's what he means. Now I'd like to see both sometime, but especially the pre-schism one you mention.

I'm not looking to change over in any way. I very much love our Divine Liturgy. I'd just like to see the other to know what it's like.

If they are like a Latin Catholic Mass ... well I watched one about a year ago on YouTube. The singing was lovely, but it seems incomplete to me, as I'm used to our Divine Liturgy. But now I want to see both, so I'm wondering how common the Pre-schism one is to find.

Thank you for the information.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy visiting a WR church about once a year on the anniversary of my friend's mom's chrismation. It is a good experience though I won't be leaving the DL unless there was no English speaking Eastern Orthodox rite church and there was a WR English speaking church. I doubt that would happen though since the WR is fairly rare. They celebrate the liturgy based off the Tridentine mass. It is interesting to see!

The biggest qualm I have is that they still have the Celebration hymnal at each pew. They only sing a few select songs that are Orthodox in theology, but that particular hymnal has a lot of non-Orthodox theology in other songs (do you remember that hymnal @Kylissa ?) They may not sing those un-Orthodox songs, but it makes me uncomfortable to see it in the church.

Beyond that, while it is not the same as ours, it is good to see a Western style service that has sound Orthodox theology. It reminds me of the universality of Orthodoxy, especially in the historic Western Orthodox Church before the split. That said, the DL is universal in and of itself as well.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
It definitely is on the Orthodox Radar.

I visit once maybe twice per year.
Earlier this year in July I went on a large pilgrimage group to the Shrine where we stayed, had conference talks, and engaged in worship.
There is an Orthodox monastic presence at Walsingham.
There are two major altars; one in the former railway station (St. Seraphim's) and the other being in the Anglican shrine church itself.

I would recommend that if anyone makes an international journey to the UK for St. John's Monastery in Essex, they should also visit Walsingham in neighbouring Norfolk.

Here is a link to the recent Orthodox Conference at Walsingham:
http://forerunner.org.uk/2015/07/05/walsingham-conference-2015-some-highlights/

Upvote 0