Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His point seems to be that the Bible as a moral authority isn't obvious, given that it seems to not condemn a number of things today we recognize as obvious evils.

Such as?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

My assertion is based on more than mere presumption as the following link reveals:
580100.Advice for Living

And Coretta Scott King was to the left of Dr. King when it came to social issues. Dr. King's concern was only racial discrimination as far as his role in the civil rights movement is concerned.

Which is what you are subjected to.

No, the ignorance is on the part of those who would assert ancient, dubious superstitions over the light of reason and science.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You are getting a bit above yourself, it appears. You and your opinions are not the "Christian faith." You don't own the Christian faith or the Bible and are in no position to dictate to the rest of us what we are to believe.

Absolutely.

I am so tired of the Right using religion as a weapon against freethought. It doesn't really serve the interests of saving my soul, either. All it is doing is alienating me from taking their religion and worldview seriously. They have no good arguments anymore that persuade, only accusations and insinuations. Well, let me just say that betrays a low character, and when people have to resort to propaganda, misinformation, and libel, that doesn't speak to an ethical worldview.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh there's many Christian countries where LGBT persecution is just awful.

If many Islamic countries are even worse, thats hardly something to be proud of.
Try being a Christian in an Islamic country.

Upvote 0

Rebecca4Christ

Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2019
Central U.S.
✟129,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Absolutely.

I am so tired of the Right using religion as a weapon against freethought. It doesn't really serve the interests of saving my soul, either. All it is doing is alienating me from taking their religion and worldview seriously. They have no good arguments anymore that persuade, only accusations and insinuations. Well, let me just say that betrays a low character, and when people have to resort to propaganda, misinformation, and libel, that doesn't speak to an ethical worldview.
I've been curious,so I'll ask you....
Why does an Athiest desire to join a Christian forum? Sincere question, please answer in like manner.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
His point seems to be that the Bible as a moral authority isn't obvious, given that it seems to not condemn a number of things today we recognize as obvious evils.
If not actively endorse them.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been curious,so I'll ask you....
Why does an Athiest desire to join a Christian forum? Sincere question, please answer in like manner.

I've been a member of this forum for years. I used to identify as a Christian. I'm still a member of a Lutheran church (ELCA), but I no longer attend and I am considering letting my membership drop.

I prefer to think of myself as a freethinker rather than an atheist. I am not a metaphysical materialist. I'm more influenced by Jungian or Mahayana Buddhist thought in terms of my view of the world- when it comes to the existence of the God of the Bible, I am a non-realist but I don't think religion is total nonsense. Just the kind that promote bigotry and intolerance.

I don't find this big God idea persuasive at all. Especially when its tied with baseless hatred, intolerance, and denial of scientific facts.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Try being a Christian in an Islamic country.
I do think on average Christians fare better there than gays.

But my point was: Christians do themselves no favors by comparing themselves against the most repressive Islamic states. I mean, could you possibly set the bar any lower?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are getting a bit above yourself, it appears. You and your opinions are not the "Christian faith." You don't own the Christian faith or the Bible and are in no position to dictate to the rest of us what we are to believe. Now if you truly don't know the scriptures which condemn slavery I will tell you. But I think you do know them and are just looking for an excuse to be snarky to Christians and others who don't share your right-wing political agenda.

My faith is built on nothing more than the authority of scripture by which the Gospel of Jesus Christ is delivered to all. Whether you wish to embrace it or not is up to you and your railing false accusations against me which make plain your ignorance clearly show that you are on the losing side of the debate.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
My faith is built on nothing more than the authority of scripture by which the Gospel of Jesus Christ is delivered to all. Whether you wish to embrace it or not is up to you and your railing false accusations against me which make plain your ignorance clearly show that you are on the losing side of the debate.

Typical passive-aggressive, fideistic attitude of conservative Christians. You give no real reasons why we should accept the authority of your scriptures, yet you take pot-shots against minority groups and then run and hide behind religion and act put upon when anybody calls you out on it.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, the ignorance is on the part of those who would assert ancient, dubious superstitions over the light of reason and science.

That all depends on what you perceive as the light of reason and science and what you deem to be ancient, dubious superstitions since opinions vary on what constitutes as science and what the light of reason is and what is dubious superstition.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That all depends on what you perceive as the light of reason and science and what you deem to be ancient, dubious superstitions since opinions vary on what constitutes as science and what the light of reason is and what is dubious superstition.

I would never expect a Christian to appeal to the dank side of postmodernism... but I guess that's the last refuge of those with no real arguments.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Typical passive-aggressive, fideistic attitude of conservative Christians. You give no real reasons why we should accept the authority of your scriptures, yet you take pot-shots against minority groups and then run and hide behind religion and act put upon when anybody calls you out on it.

We have given a multitude of reasons as to why the authority of scripture should be accepted and can be trusted. There are multitude of books written, articles published, websites and blogs produced (including my own) in defense of the Gospel and scriptural authority and if they were all put together, that long list would run for miles and would probably circle the globe many times over.

But whether or not you accept the evidence on behalf of the Gospel presented before you and the arguments made in its favor is up to you. As far as taking pot-shots against minority groups, I am not sure what you mean by that as that statement conveys a number of different meanings, but this much I can say; we can love people and not necessarily like everything they do or agree with everything they say, teach, propagate, and promote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would never expect a Christian to appeal to the dank side of postmodernism... but I guess that's the last refuge of those with no real arguments.

The dank side of postmodernism being what you have apparently appealed to as you yourself have presented no real arguments; just baseless and misguided accusations founded in ignorance.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I may be, but as there are over two billion Christians in the world and not more that a hundred million or so of your sort I'm not too worried about it.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I may be, but as there are over two billion Christians in the world and not more that a hundred million or so of your sort I'm not too worried about it.

There's about 500 million or so Pentecostals or Evangelicals who all broadly share the same superstitious, premodern worldview. But that's only a small fraction of the 2 billion Christians in the world.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.