May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a hobby I've just discovered, what are the health benefits of walking?
Plenty! Improved lung function for asthmatics, improved mood, more energy, helps against loneliness and depression, and may give a better ability to stay and fall asleep. Love walking. Best exercise ever.

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Plenty! Improved lung function for asthmatics, improved mood, more energy, helps against loneliness and depression, and may give a better ability to stay and fall asleep. Love walking. Best exercise ever.

Thanks!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t like to walk as I danced for a long time and have problems walking flat footed for a long distances . I’m a Silver Swan-a dancer over 50. Any exercise is good for you , it improves your mood, lowers blood pressure , gives you more stamina and with dance or yoga more flexibility

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have been walking as part of my job for 20 years. Back in April 2018 I downloaded an app called Map My Walk which does just that. I quickly came to enjoy longer and longer walks. Four miles then Six then Eight and one night I walked Ten. I went on vacation in Massachusetts last August and did 36 miles just on my exercise walks including a 9 miler. I started taking the mapped walk from my phone and transferring them to a screen cap of Google Maps and satellites.

Here's my walks around Dallas and Plano, Texas.
Walks map.jpg

And here's my vacation walks around Amesbury, Salisbury and Newburyport, Massachusetts.
Massachusetts walks.jpg

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Walking is great.

You can also do podcast walks, if youre in a safe place. I've listened through entire college course lecture sets, and all kind of other interesting things, as I walk the dirt roads around here.

You can do meditation walks, with Christian content if thats important to you.

Or just walk....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My feet and knees don’t like it. If I walk for more than a few blocks I have to get on demipointe and that looks funny to see an slightly overweight grandmother walking on tiptoes ;)
Ah.... maybe cycling is for you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The benefits of physical activity, are too long to list.

The body is meant to be active and when activity is not adequate, it decreases quality of life, increases risk of a myriad of diseases and decreases many physiological functions.

• Winner
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My feet and knees don’t like it. If I walk for more than a few blocks I have to get on demipointe and that looks funny to see an slightly overweight grandmother walking on tiptoes ;)

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which causes my bones to fuse, especially in my neck and back, but my hips have fused a bit as well since my stride isn't as long as it used to be. I was still able to walk those great distances, but I fell of a ladder last August and messed my neck up something fierce. It seems like I'm going through a new round of fusing in a more hunched over position which causes my back to get sore more quickly.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I went on vacation in Massachusetts last August and did 36 miles just on my exercise walks including a 9 miler. I started taking the mapped walk from my phone and transferring them to a screen cap of Google Maps and satellites.

You've logged some serious miles. I'm impressed! I started walking a few years ago in the winter. I'm uncertain why I didn't do it when the weather was better! It's good exercise and very relaxing. My walks grew longer and I decided to invest in a bike instead.

I'm sorry to hear about the fall. I hope you're still able to get out. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums