Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anybody here been on the Walk to Emmaus? I went last weekend. I did not find it to be that great. The people were mostly really nice and I know they mean well, but it was not for me. I found it exhausting, a little weird and a little cultish. They wanted to push me into being really open ( I am not a very open person and never have been). When we went to table chapel they implied that I didn't belong there or I am not a Christian because I didn't want to tell them my problems. I just can not bring myself to trust people with personal things, that I have known for only a couple of hours. And they proved me right because one of guys made a few smart remarks to me. Why would I trust this guy? They did their best to make everybody cry, and they did make most of the men there cry like babies. I came close, but I held back. I am just not programed like that. I was not raised to wear my emotions on my shirt sleeve..... Not that I think it is bad, I have just been trained to shut up and stop whining..... If you know what I mean. Anyway, I left the walk to Emmaus feeling bad about myself and maybe a little angry. I just didn't fit in. And I left wondering if I can even be a Christian being I am very shy and find it almost impossible to share my inner feelings. Has anybody else had a similar experience with the walk to emmaus ?? Or is it just me ??

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, welcome to CF.

I'm personally not familiar with the walk to Emmaus, but this sounds kind of similar to my experiences at Christian summer camp. Everyone was very open and things got pretty emotional, but there were individuals who didn't feel comfortable sharing or crying. I don't think that just because you struggle to (or don't want to) open up or show your emotions means that you can't be a good Christian. It just means you're a bit different, and that's okay. Everyone's different in their own way.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been on the Emmaus Walk, and I found it to be very rewarding and enriching with the love of my Savior. I plan to attend another walk in September. But this time I'm hoping it will be as a servant/volunteer. To the original poster: I'm sorry you felt that way during your walk. Emotions are powerful. It always helps me to remember that they make wonderful servants but horrible masters. Meaning, that feelings come and go and sometimes they can deceive us. We should always align what we're feeling with scripture because depending on what our background is, temperament, and circumstances are, we can come at things different ways. I would encourage you to find a strong spiritual mentor or counselor that will speak truth into your life. It sounds like you've been thru a lot in your life, and there are things that we sometimes need to work out in order to lead healthy and productive lives in Christ. Don't give up, brother. God loves you and so does the true body of believers. Lord bless!

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord isn't shy. He is your sustainer, and mine. Be blessed!

You are right. Jesus was not shy. But I am... I always have been. It is not something I am able to control. So there we go, you are telling me I might just as well give it up right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been on the Emmaus Walk, and I found it to be very rewarding and enriching with the love of my Savior. I plan to attend another walk in September. But this time I'm hoping it will be as a servant/volunteer. To the original poster: I'm sorry you felt that way during your walk. Emotions are powerful. It always helps me to remember that they make wonderful servants but horrible masters. Meaning, that feelings come and go and sometimes they can deceive us. We should always align what we're feeling with scripture because depending on what our background is, temperament, and circumstances are, we can come at things different ways. I would encourage you to find a strong spiritual mentor or counselor that will speak truth into your life. It sounds like you've been thru a lot in your life, and there are things that we sometimes need to work out in order to lead healthy and productive lives in Christ. Don't give up, brother. God loves you and so does the true body of believers. Lord bless!
Thank you for your reply. But you know, I tried to talk to a few of the guys there and it was pretty clear to me they were not really listening. It seemed to me, I was not telling them what they wanted to hear. I got no where and really just felt stupid.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My hubby and I both went back (one for men, one for women) in '97 when we belonged to a community church. The one we went on was from the Methodist Church.

The best part were the letters that friends wrote to us. It was encouraging and yes, it was like summer camp. We went mainly as a way to bond with other members of our congregation.

I hear you on this need to see everyone weeping and emotion in order to prove their heart. Not everyone is outwardly emotional...that's ok. There's something to be said for respecting and valuing each other.

We are all wonderfully and beautifully made and God delights in us, right now at this moment. I thank God for His perfect love.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are right. Jesus was not shy. But I am... I always have been. It is not something I am able to control. So there we go, you are telling me I might just as well give it up right?
Not at all. Grow strong in your faith. Grow close to Him. He is close to you and will never be anything else. He never gives up. He loves you and holds you in His embrace. Study Romans 8:1, Ephesians 2:8-9, John 5:24, John 3:16-17. The "world" in the latter includes you. YOU are the Righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. God proclaimed it!! Be blessed abundantly.

(past my bedtime ... our puppy is calling me!)

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have been through a lot in my life. I was abandoned by my parents and my first wife. I pretty much raised myself as a teenager. I am okay now. By the grace of God I now have a wonderful wife and 2 children. I can probably only give God the credit for changing my life. I did drugs and drank like a fish in my 20's. But now I want to take my family to church. I want it for them more than anything. Trouble is, it is hard to fit in when you are shy. They want you to sing, dance, or get up in front of all the people and speak..... Which is impossible for me. I tried it before and literally thought I was going to have a stroke right there in front everybody. You may never understand how hard public speaking is for somebody like me.

• Agree
Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My hubby and I both went back (one for men, one for women) in '97 when we belonged to a community church. The one we went on was from the Methodist Church.

The best part were the letters that friends wrote to us. It was encouraging and yes, it was like summer camp. We went mainly as a way to bond with other members of our congregation.

I hear you on this need to see everyone weeping and emotion in order to prove their heart. Not everyone is outwardly emotional...that's ok. There's something to be said for respecting and valuing each other.

We are all wonderfully and beautifully made and God delights in us, right now at this moment. I thank God for His perfect love.
The letters were really nice. Some parts of the weekend were good. I just felt like the whole thing was very carefully planned out to break you. It seemed like they were trying to manipulate us. And that makes me want to rebel I guess. I am a very independent person. I have pretty much been on my own since I was about 14 years old. I am 58 now. The candlelight service was a cross between nice, weird and cultish.....lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Don't go back.
It is cultish now. was their any circles and inner circles along the path?
Don't go back.
The fact that it was very secretive was a little weird. I really didn't know what I had signed up for. The friend that signed me up thinks it is great ! I know he meant well. He is a real nice guy. The candlelight service was a little weird and kind of cultish.

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I think the problem was, I was kind of embarrassed because I knew I was not giving them the response they wanted. I really don't think they were impressed with me at all. If I had broken down crying uncontrollably, they would have loved me.... as it turned out, I didn't make any friends there.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem was, I was kind of embarrassed because I knew I was not giving them the response they wanted. I really don't think they were impressed with me at all. If I had broken down crying uncontrollably, they would have loved me.... as it turned out, I didn't make any friends there.

I'm sorry your experience was not a good one, don't feel bad about yourself. We are each unique and special with gifts given to us by our Father. Don't ever feel less worthy because you didn't bow to someone's manipulation.

• Agree
Reactions: FoundInGrace
Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The letters were really nice. Some parts of the weekend were good. I just felt like the whole thing was very carefully planned out to break you. It seemed like they were trying to manipulate us. And that makes me want to rebel I guess. I am a very independent person. I have pretty much been on my own since I was about 14 years old. I am 58 now. The candlelight service was a cross between nice, weird and cultish.....lol.
I agree, the candlelight service was uncomfortable for me.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Different people come closer to Christ in different ways. If the Walk To Emmaus was not for you, and did not draw you closer to Christ then there is no reason to try and repeat it - or feel bad that it did not work for you. I can say that from what I have read about it the Walk would absolutely NOT be something I would be comfortable with.

If people try and make you "feel it" or fell bad for not being touched, or feel as if you are not close enough to God because you are not "moving in the Spirit" then you do not need that in your life. This is one of the reasons I do not go to modern worship and dislike most non-denominational style worship. It seems like so much is just for show, or that if you are not raising your hands and singing then you are not really worshiping "in the Spirit" or "letting the Spirit guide you". A liturgical style worship with an organ and beautiful coir brings me closer to God than a modern band with drums and guitars.

Find what brings you closer to Christ and go towards that. Maybe it is a weekend of silent prayer and contemplation much as many lay Catholics or monks do. Maybe it is with a service that you can preform for your church. Maybe it is just being in nature and walking around the forest while praying. Whatever it might be, find it and use that to get closer to Christ, not be judged by other people's views on what should be working for you.

Upvote 0