What is the Big Secret About the Emmaus Walk? Need Advice!

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all I am in need of advice, and I realize this might be a sensitive (in the sense of security... I guess) topic, so I try to be tactful. I have a loved one that has been invited to "Walk to Emmaus". Since I never heard of such an event, I spent some time researching it. That's when a warning lights in my brain started to go off.

My number one concern is the secrecy (or rather, 'surprises') surrounding the event. That is the one thing that bothers me the most.

Based on personal experiences/testimonies I've read about online, 90% of the people have 'wonderful life changing experiences'. Now I'm not doubting the honesty and sincerity of these people, but the other 10% (these aren't actually numbers, but approximations based on googling) claim to have experienced pseudo-cultish activities, and even some claims of mild brain washing techniques.

While yes, I know you can't believe everything thats on the internet, this does give me pause for concern. If (that's a big if, I'm not making unfounded claims) brain washing tactics are used, 90% positive responses would be expected, as it would be an efficient brain washing program. The loved one planning to attend, is a strong christian, but I'm afraid, would be susceptible to emotional manipulation.

I wouldn't even ask about this and assume this is an excellent program, except it has been weighing on my heart and that stands out to me. What I am looking for is an objective explanation (ie not: it was wonderful, it changed my life, you'll have to experience it for yourself, etc etc) of what goes on at one of these retreats, even the "surprises". You won't be ruining anything for me, I don't plan on attending. I've pieced together some of what occurs at a "Walk to Emmaus", but I won't mention it here, as I don't know what is supoosed to be a "surprise". If you want to tell me in PM, so it isn't on the boards, and a minimal amount of "surprise ruining" occurs, feel free. Or, I will provide my email address (I don't think I can PM yet, as I am a new forum goer).

If this is truly a God-blessed program, please help subside my doubts and fears. Many thanks!

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Glancing at their web page, it looks like the United Methodist's version of the Alpha course.

Doesn't look sinister at all . . .. if it is a negative experience, like me and Promise Keepers, your loved one will be able to chalk it up as "just a Christian thing that wasn't right for them" and move on.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not familiar with this Walk to Emmaus. However, I took an instant dislike to the concept of anything less than direct answers. If I ask a question and can't get an answer, for me God's not in it. The secracy/surprise thing is a red flag for me, and it seems it is for you too. With so much else available why take a risk here? God would expect us to be wise in buying a car. If we asked about the transmission and the saleperson said, "I can't tell you. It will spoil the surprise." We'd say, "Surprise, you just lost a customer." I'm not sure God expects me to be less discerning with my spiritual life than I would be with my wallet.

I'm glad you're researching this thing.

Blessings, A

Upvote 0

NoelAsa

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
At Computer
✟23,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I went to a walk to emmaus in April of this year. I did not have a good experience. I was not given any information, which is normal for them. My sponsor kept telling me how wonderful it would be for me and that I don't have to worry about anything. They would be there to take care of me. It took her two years to convince me. Other members of my church have gone and had good experiences, but also would not discuss it. So I took a leap of faith and went.

It is a very controlled environment. You are not allowed to take a watch or cell phone. You can not even drive yourself there. Your sponsor must drive you there and then pick you up when you leave. She told me that there was not enough parking spaces for people to drive there themselves. She lied.

You are assigned a roommate and then later on divided into groups. You stay with your group the whole time that you are there. There are many lectures and activites that you have to participate in. I had to leave the next day. I could not stand not having any freedom of choice.

You are told when to go to bed at night, around midnight. You are woken up at the break of dawn. You are directed where to go to and what to do. There where so many other things that I did not like about it.

I had always been concerned about the secrective nature of it. I feel that Christians should not have secret agendas. I strongly believe that anyone who wishes to participate in an emmaus walk should be given all information to make an informed decision. If I had been told what to expect I never would have gone.

I was so upset that I cried the whole that whole weekend when I came home. I also very seriously considered not going back to church. They want you to have a profound experience. Which I did but not in the way they want it. It was all very negative for me. I understand that some people really enjoy it, but it was not for me.

I suppose if you never had a real relationship with God in your life and did not believe that he loved you then it might be a meaningful experience, because that is the basis of the whole retreat. I already had that in my life.

I am sure that other people, besides me, did not like the emmaus walk. I also feel that most people would not admit it. After all everyone tells you how wonderful it is.

Upvote 0

NoelAsa

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
At Computer
✟23,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you Joey downunder for the sites to look at. The emmaus retreat that I went on was not as bad as the ones they describe. It did, however feel like a prison to me. I was told how wonderful it would be and how everything would be taken care of for me. I like having my own freedom of making my own choices.

During one of our group sessions we had a 15 minute break, which considering there were no clocks and no one had a watch, was a rather ironic statement. Two of the people in my group did not come back on time. We are watched rather closely so I guess the workers were taken back by that. They asked if we knew were they were and we didn't. They tracked them down and made them come back.

Shortly after that I had my first ever panic attack. That was how I was able to leave the emmaus walk. I told the workers I had to leave and would not talk to any of them. They finally called my sponsor and she came out and picked me up and took me home. I am sure that if I had not been so upset and crying they might have tried to talk me out of it.

Never had a panic attack before and never want to have another one again.

Upvote 0

Buckman98

Jul 8, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Methodist
I think that the Emmaus community has to come to terms with something. They often say "no secrets", but they also work to keep certain things as surprises. Some even are clear in their newsletters that they want to keep Candlelight Service (usually on Saturday night) secret above almost any other detail. Well, as I have said to folks many times, surprises are, by definition, secrets. So, this word-play makes me frustrated. I would be happier if they said to people - "yes, there are some things that are preserved as secrets, with the goal of particupants being able to enjoy them as surprises". That seems more open and honest.

You know, I have been on retreats that have done things that Emmaus has done - kept schedules a secret, asked people to put away their phones and watches, etc. - but Emmaus is (in my research) the worst about saying WHY they do it. It is a sequestered weekend, and some of the reactions of participants comes from them feeling separated from typical support systems, being a bit "off kilter", etc. Some people are told that "cell phones should be put away so that you have no distractions" - but the weekend is full of distractions, other people, etc. So, it just does not jive.

I think that weekends can be powerful, moving times for some people. But, the practices of the weekend should be transparent, secrecy (if it continues) should be more honestly discussed, and people should find out everything they want to know before they go. If someone really want to know details, show them the schedule!! God does not speak though man-made retreat agendas - he speaks to us in many ways, and there should be less focus on "spoiling" someone's weekend with details.

Upvote 0

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Joey downunder for the sites to look at. The emmaus retreat that I went on was not as bad as the ones they describe. It did, however feel like a prison to me. I was told how wonderful it would be and how everything would be taken care of for me. I like having my own freedom of making my own choices.

During one of our group sessions we had a 15 minute break, which considering there were no clocks and no one had a watch, was a rather ironic statement. Two of the people in my group did not come back on time. We are watched rather closely so I guess the workers were taken back by that. They asked if we knew were they were and we didn't. They tracked them down and made them come back.

Shortly after that I had my first ever panic attack. That was how I was able to leave the emmaus walk. I told the workers I had to leave and would not talk to any of them. They finally called my sponsor and she came out and picked me up and took me home. I am sure that if I had not been so upset and crying they might have tried to talk me out of it.

Never had a panic attack before and never want to have another one again.

Wow, I'm sorry you had this experience. :(

I just returned from my first Walk and, although I freaked out the first night (Thursday) and a bit into the second day, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I felt the Holy Spirit move in a profound way and I learned a lot about my character and growth in Christ.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did it .. quite a long time ago.
It was an EXCELLENT experience and I highly recommend it to any Christian.

I cannot begin to imagine what you are talking about - or what some people are talking about - when they speak of cultish activity. The Walk to Emmaus is based directly on Biblical events.

It has been a long time and I cannot remember what "preparation" was done. If there was any "secrecy" ... it existed ONLY for the simple reason that the folks doing the show did not want to spoil the surprise of what was going on. There is NOTHING un-Christian or un-Biblical in this event. At least nothing that happened while I attended.

Man, there is a lot of paranoia in Christianity these days :)

cheers,
Gideon123

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nanna Winters

Jul 12, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Emmaus Walk is wonderful why they try to keep it a secret, I have been.
The secret is they don't want everyone to know what is done is because it would spoil what it for the person that's going, it's not a cult. I thought the whole time that my sponsor was going to stay, she didn't. But I'm so glad I did not know what was going on or I would not of felt the Love of our God and the Love from all whom work and spend three days with people they don't know to show them how to Love and how much our God loves us! The first night I was nervous but after that it was awesome and plan on going to work on the Emmaus Walk. Just know that it's not a bad place, to give all the information about what all we done there you would have to go and experience it believe me you won't regret it.
Nanna

Upvote 0

Nanna Winters

Jul 12, 2012
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
:)I'm sorry but I went had a blast the first night was the hardest but after that I am so glad I went and want to go again........
Hi all I am in need of advice, and I realize this might be a sensitive (in the sense of security... I guess) topic, so I try to be tactful. I have a loved one that has been invited to "Walk to Emmaus". Since I never heard of such an event, I spent some time researching it. That's when a warning lights in my brain started to go off.

My number one concern is the secrecy (or rather, 'surprises') surrounding the event. That is the one thing that bothers me the most.

Based on personal experiences/testimonies I've read about online, 90% of the people have 'wonderful life changing experiences'. Now I'm not doubting the honesty and sincerity of these people, but the other 10% (these aren't actually numbers, but approximations based on googling) claim to have experienced pseudo-cultish activities, and even some claims of mild brain washing techniques.

While yes, I know you can't believe everything thats on the internet, this does give me pause for concern. If (that's a big if, I'm not making unfounded claims) brain washing tactics are used, 90% positive responses would be expected, as it would be an efficient brain washing program. The loved one planning to attend, is a strong christian, but I'm afraid, would be susceptible to emotional manipulation.

I wouldn't even ask about this and assume this is an excellent program, except it has been weighing on my heart and that stands out to me. What I am looking for is an objective explanation (ie not: it was wonderful, it changed my life, you'll have to experience it for yourself, etc etc) of what goes on at one of these retreats, even the "surprises". You won't be ruining anything for me, I don't plan on attending. I've pieced together some of what occurs at a "Walk to Emmaus", but I won't mention it here, as I don't know what is supoosed to be a "surprise". If you want to tell me in PM, so it isn't on the boards, and a minimal amount of "surprise ruining" occurs, feel free. Or, I will provide my email address (I don't think I can PM yet, as I am a new forum goer).

If this is truly a God-blessed program, please help subside my doubts and fears. Many thanks!

Wow, I'm sorry you had this experience. :(

I just returned from my first Walk and, although I freaked out the first night (Thursday) and a bit into the second day, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I felt the Holy Spirit move in a profound way and I learned a lot about my character and growth in Christ.

Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have serious issues with the Emmaus Walk. People seem to imply that you miss out on some secret blessing by the Holy Spirit if you have not gone. But does He really operate in that way?

The whole weekend is extremely controlled both in time and activity. Can experiences of the Holy Spirit really be controlled like this?

The Candlelight ceremony is supposed to show how much people and God love you, yet unless those who really love you have gone on an Emmaus Walk or equivalent weekend, they will be excluded. Where is the love in that?

The Emmaus Community is a world wide community which excludes Christians from all denominations unless they have gone on a "Walk". This does nothing for unity of the body.

The more I research the Emmaus Walk, the more I become convinced that Emmaus is all about promoting the Walk and making sure Emmaus pilgrims are in positions of leadership and influence in churches. This is not unity but control.

I have many more concerns both with the actual weekend and the overall control Emmaus has over pilgrims and churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Revived

Fighting the good fight of faith.
Mar 25, 2009
Planted by the water
Visit site
✟30,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but your research has given you the wrong perspective entirely. Admittedly, I had some of these same apprehensions but the weekend, and the experience in general, is NOT about control and one will only realize this only after they've completed the weekend. I believe that what is often misconstrued as control is a fear of sacrificing the things (dare I say idols?) that we hold dear ... ie. internet, cell phones, other electronic devices, etc.

Furthermore, I can speak for my community in that they would NEVER exclude Christians unless they've been on a walk. Those I've met (which are many) are incredibly sweet, loving, accepting, and generous.

Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revived,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry to say that the vast majority of my research comes directly from Emmaus itself. According to the Emmaus Team Manual, in the Overview section there are clear statements as to how the pilgrims will feel and think at any given time during the weekend. This can only be if the pilgrims have been controlled to feel and think that way. Control is stamped all over this weekend. You are told when to get up, when to eat, when to talk, when to be silent, when to listen, when to go to some activity, when to go to bed. You are not allowed off the premises or to opt out of any part of the program. You are not allowed to know the time or how long each section is. The control goes far deeper than just not having outside distractions.

According to the policies for Emmaus Walks, Pilgrims leaving before Candlelight will be required to repeat the weekend in order to be a member of the greater Emmaus Community.

In the light of this, can I as a Christian who has not gone on a walk become a member of the Emmaus Community?

In the "What is Emmaus?" booklet, congregations are urged to not only encourage pilgrims to get involved in almost every aspect of church leadership service, but also to keep going to their reunion Groups and weekly follow up groups where they effectively become a clique.

The most telling statement in this booklet is on page 20 where the prospective pilgrim is told..."Come with empty hands and open hearts, planning to give yourself completely to the Emmaus Walk." This is clearly against Scripture. We should NEVER give ourselves completely to anything but God. To do as this booklet says would be to open yourself up to the possibility of deception without any discernment.

There is much much more of this research and it all comes down to the same thing - manipulation and control of the pilgrim before, during and after the weekend. There is too much defence of Emmaus and not enough acknowledgement of the problems it causes. Even the "What is Emmaus?" booklet places the blame of any negativity about Emmaus at leaders who are not supportive and narrow or negative influence of members.

Your experience is just that - your experience. My research is into what Emmaus itself says and does. Experiences can be manipulated and the techniques of Emmaus are very much control techniques. I am happy to say that I don't trust peoples' experiences under such conditions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Wade,

As I understand the 'Walk to Emmaus' and the 'Via de Cristo' week-ends, and many other such 'mystical' experiences, the goal is to create an atmosphere where one develops a closeness to God. There is much somber talk of God and Jesus and meditation and singing catchy little 'camp' songs and a good bit of close fellowship with others.

As I mentioned, much of it does hinge on the 'mystical'. Candle light and quiet meditations. Some incorporate touchy, feely exercises with one another such as foot washing and small group sharing and they usually have a quiet communion service. I believe that most people do come away with a freshness of spirit and at least a temporary desire to be more like Christ.

Is it beneficial? That's really hard to measure in the long run. Most people do express a benefit in attending. However, the truth is, one is either born again or one isn't. I also don't really find much instruction in the life of the believers of the new covenant that they ever practiced such things. None of the new covenant writers seem to include any claims of such experiences beyond just a believer's prayer time with the Father. Jesus was known to set out on his own to spend quiet time with the Father early in the mornings.

I did attend a 'Via de Cristo' weekend and I wasn't particularly impressed that it strengthened my faith and I did feel that it was explained to be and expected to be a 'mystical' sort of experience. My encouragement for any born again believer is to spend more time with the Father every day. Depend on Him; Love Him; Honor Him; and the rest will come. I don't find that mystical practices or 'deep thought' experiences were ever the practice of the early church.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

JohnGM10

Nov 21, 2012
✟7,629.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Intresting Problem for My Wife and Me . She totaly missed that I had a major problem with how Candlelight drove between us . She did a walk but as is normal for 4th Dayers did not talk about it , She has been on many womens reteats and I assumed this was the same . BUT it was not . we moved apart or She moved away from me. When 18 months later she was asked to be a presenter of one of the talks she started the training ( All Cloistered) Week afer week of meeting all not to be talked about . She even was not open about where the Walk to Emmaus was held. Finally the weekend after she came back from the walk she realized she had a major problem on her hands . And the first thing she did was call her Emmaus sponser to tell her that I had a problem. Today we are on are near the same page . But it is hard to Trust . IF You Support the concept that the person who is married to a woman for 45 years can not be at Candlelight as her support you really need to redefine WHO you are . NO MATTER how it works out one spouse or the other per the UPPER ROOM Mandate is EXCLUDED from CANDLELIGHT Easy Question IS it Right for you who support the UpperRoom Walk TO Emmaus to get between a couple?

Upvote 0

Phil G

Grafted In
Sep 11, 2012
✟20,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Intresting Problem for My Wife and Me . She totaly missed that I had a major problem with how Candlelight drove between us . She did a walk but as is normal for 4th Dayers did not talk about it , She has been on many womens reteats and I assumed this was the same . BUT it was not . we moved apart or She moved away from me. When 18 months later she was asked to be a presenter of one of the talks she started the training ( All Cloistered) Week afer week of meeting all not to be talked about . She even was not open about where the Walk to Emmaus was held. Finally the weekend after she came back from the walk she realized she had a major problem on her hands . And the first thing she did was call her Emmaus sponser to tell her that I had a problem. Today we are on are near the same page . But it is hard to Trust . IF You Support the concept that the person who is married to a woman for 45 years can not be at Candlelight as her support you really need to redefine WHO you are . NO MATTER how it works out one spouse or the other per the UPPER ROOM Mandate is EXCLUDED from CANDLELIGHT Easy Question IS it Right for you who support the UpperRoom Walk TO Emmaus to get between a couple?

Indeed! And here you have highlighted just ONE of the problems with the Emmaus Walk, one which many Emmaus advocates really don't acknowledge. If one spouse does not want to go and the other does and is really into it, it automatically drives a wedge into the marriage. This may happen with other interests as well, but it is the secrecy involved which does the damage.

Oh I know the secrets are there only so as not to "spoil" the surprises, but is that worth the breakdown of relationships?

It is interesting to note that your wife's first action when realising there was a major problem, was to turn to the Emmaus Community saying that YOU had a problem. But in reality it is Emmaus which IS the problem.

The fact that a husband and wife cannot be together, even though Candlelight is supposed to show how much the pilgrim is loved, shows a clear priority of the Emmaus Walk over the love of a married couple. The person whom the pilgrim loves the most in the world is banned from the ceremony, and even if he/she was allowed to be there, is banned from speaking, touching or even interacting with the pilgrim at all!

Blessings to you and your wife for your faith in Him who restores all things!

Upvote 0