Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i think we can prob. better look to actual biblical example of the use of 666
and make a determination from there,
instead of adding up certain politician's names and seeing if they = 666
in fictional ways or number values assigned to each character of someones name.

that is not what "count" means...
it means to count something over a very long period of time,
as a stone is worn smooth by water...kinda time.

we have a few biblical examples of 666.

perhaps folks can list them here and see what we come up with.

Upvote 0

Sapphire Dragon

Truly Loved... as are you.
Sep 28, 2008
On a planet that needs healing.
Visit site
✟10,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Green
If the beast has the absolute number of 666, then who or what is 665, 664, 663, etc.?
XD I'm sorry, but to be totally off topic for a moment, this reminded me of the experiments in Lilo and Stitch. :D

Back on topic- I'm sure everything in this universe has some numerological significance. Our tiny planet happened to have beings on it which associate with that number. Other planets and other life could be 665, 664, etc.

Upvote 0
B

Bible2

RDoubleU said in post #1:

If the beast has the absolute number of 666, then who or what is 665, 664, 663, etc.?

The 666 in Revelation 13:17c-18 is referring to the "number of the name" of the "man" who is the Antichrist (the individual-man aspect of the beast). The number of a name is determined by employing the ancient method of gematria, by which numerical values are assigned to the letters of an alphabet as follows: the first nine letters in an alphabet are 1 through 9, the next nine letters are 10 through 90 (counting by tens), and the rest of the letters are 100, 200, 300, etc., to the end of the alphabet.

In Revelation 13:18, the "counting", the adding up, of the number of the Antichrist's name should be done in the same way that the numerical values of the three Greek letters (Chi, Xi, Stigma) at the end of Revelation 13:18 (in the original Greek Textus Receptus) are added up to arrive at the number 666. The numerical values of the letters of the ancient Greek alphabet (including the three obsolete letters of Stigma, Qoppa and Sampi) were as follows:

Alpha = 1
Beta = 2
Gamma = 3
Delta = 4
Epsilon = 5
(Stigma = 6)
Zeta = 7
Eta = 8
Theta = 9
Iota = 10
Kappa = 20
Lambda = 30
Mu = 40
Nu = 50
Xi = 60
Omikron = 70
Pi = 80
(Qoppa = 90)
Rho = 100
Sigma = 200
Tau = 300
Upsilon = 400
Phi = 500
Chi = 600
Psi = 700
Omega = 800
(Sampi = 900)

Just as the numerical values of the letters Chi, Xi and Stigma at the end of Revelation 13:18 (in the original Greek Textus Receptus) add up to 666, so the numerical values of the letters in the Antichrist's name will add up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18). In Revelation 13:17c-18, John the apostle used the ancient Greek alphabet only because it was the most common alphabet used by believers at the time the book of Revelation was written. Today, the most common alphabet used by believers is the English alphabet, insofar as English is the current lingua franca of the world. So the numerical values of the letters in the Antichrist's name will most likely add up to 666 in the English alphabet.

The whole purpose of Revelation 13:17c-18 is to facilitate for believers, not to make difficult for them, the identification of a certain man as possibly being the Antichrist. If the letters in his name had to be transliterated into the ancient Greek alphabet, this would vitiate this purpose, for almost all believers today wouldn't know how to properly perform the transliteration (as God himself would perform it), and different believers would no doubt come up with variant, competing transliterations, and therefore would arrive at variant, competing numbers for the name of the certain man in question.

If Christians think that someone is the Antichrist, they need to check and make sure that his name adds up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18). If it doesn't, then he isn't the Antichrist, and they need to keep on looking out for the real Antichrist. If it does add up to 666, then he could be the Antichrist, and they need to be especially wary of him and not be taken in by any deceptive charisma, intelligence or amazing deeds that he might display. But even if someone's name adds up to 666, this doesn't mean that he's definitely the Antichrist, for just by chance there could be more than one person in the world whose name adds up to 666.

The Antichrist also has to come from a country the territory of which used to be part of one of the four Diadochian Greek kingdoms which succeeded the Greek Empire of Alexander the Great (Daniel 8:8-9,21-25). These four kingdoms stretched from Greece over to Iran, and down into Egypt. So the Antichrist will probably come from the Middle East. He could be an Arab who will come from Lebanon, from the modern city of Tyre (Ezekiel 28:2, cf. 2 Thessalonians 2:4), and have a name like (for example) "Nabil Abdullah Falakal al-Hakim", which adds up to 666.

But if a man from the Middle East has a name which adds up to 666, even this doesn't assure that he's the Antichrist. For the Antichrist also has to sit in a third Jewish temple in Jerusalem and proclaim himself God (2 Thessalonians 2:3-4, Daniel 11:31,36, Matthew 24:15, Revelation 11:1-2). Once he does that, there won't be any room for doubt about whether or not he's the Antichrist; his identity will have been definitely revealed (2 Thessalonians 2:3b-4).

The gematrial numerical values of the letters of the English alphabet are:

A=1
B=2
C=3
D=4
E=5
F=6
G=7
H=8
I=9
J=10
K=20
L=30
M=40
N=50
O=60
P=70
Q=80
R=90
S=100
T=200
U=300
V=400
W=500
X=600
Y=700
Z=800

The way that the number of a name is "counted" (Revelation 13:17c-18), is added up, is simply by adding up the numerical values of all the letters in that name. So, for example, the number of the name "John Mark Smith" is 636, because:

J=10
O=60
H=8
N=50

M=40
A=1
R=90
K=20

S=100
M=40
I=9
T=200
H=8

Total = 636

The Antichrist's name will add up to 666 (Revelation 13:17c-18).

Reactions: Hortysir
Upvote 0
B

Bible2

zeke37 said in post #4:

that is not what "count" means...
it means to count something over a very long period of time,
as a stone is worn smooth by water...kinda time.

In Revelation 13:18, the original Greek word (psephizo, G5585) translated as "count" means to enumerate, to add up; like someone should "count (psephizo) the cost" (Luke 14:28), add up the cost, of building a tower before he starts building it, so he can make sure that he has enough money to finish the tower, and so won't be mocked by people if he runs out of money after laying only the tower's foundation (Luke 14:28-30).

Upvote 0

Nale

Dec 19, 2011
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian

The name/number of the beast from the sea is said to also be the number of a man (Rev 13:17-18). Understanding that ‘the beast from the sea’ in Revelation is 'Israel' might suggest a reference back to Jacob, whose name was changed by God to 'Israel', refer Gen 32:27-28. However, the number 666 suggests a specific association with another person. Let’s explore…

As Bible2 has well explained in post #8 the number '666' is presented in the Greek as "600 60 6". While the bible almost always records numbers (both small and large) in word form, such as 'two hundred and seventy-six' in Acts 27:37. In this case the number is recorded in the numeric form (where letters are used to represent numbers).

The number '666' is referred to in 3 other places:
Ezra 2:13 - number of the people of Adonikam who returned to Jerusalem from Babylon​
1 Kings 10:14 - '666 talents of gold'​
2 Chron 9:13- '666 talents of gold'​

The last two references weigh in with relevance. Both refer to a fixed annual income received every year by Solomon (1 Kings 10:14). The source of this income is not stated, but exclusions are given in verse 15.
1King 10:15 besides that from the traveling merchants, from the income of traders, from all the kings of Arabia, and from the governors of the country.​

The fixed nature of this income suggests a 'rental income' and indeed Solomon was the recipient of a significant rental income from many large vineyards.
Song 8:11 Solomon had a vineyard at Baal Hamon; he leased the vineyard to keepers; everyone was to bring for its fruit a thousand silver coins.​
:12 My own vineyard is before me. You, O Solomon, have a thousand, and those who tend its fruit two hundred (each).​
This rental income was also alluded to in Isaiah.
Isa 7:23 It shall happen in that day, that wherever there could be a thousand vine(yards)s worth a thousand (mina each) of silver, It will be for briers and thorns.​

These verses indicate that in the time of Solomon:​
1,000 silver x 1,000 vineyards x 200 people = 200 million silver pieces
= 1 million silver mina
= 666 gold talents

From the above verses it appears that Solomon, as king of Israel, had control of Israel's vineyards and rented them to whom he pleased. In the same way the future beast (of the sea) will control who will be permitted to control the spiritual vineyard of God. In other words, who would be able to 'trade' in the wine/teachings of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

One theory is that since Adonikam had 666 descendents coming out of Babylonian captivity, the name of the future Antichrist beast would be that of one of the last three sons - which are identified by name in the ot. Those three sons would be be number 666, 655, 654. The complete listing of all the 666 names is not given, so the etc, i.e. 653, 652, 651... that you seek cannot be determined.

But if you stick with those last three, perhaps if the theory turns out to be correct, look for a EU politician who goes by any of these, he could be the Antichrist.

Ezra 8:13 And of the last sons of Adonikam, whose names are these, Eliphelet, Jeiel, and Shemaiah, and with them threescore males

Good luck on your research to see if you can find anyone by any of those three names waiting in the wings, who could emerge out of the EU power structure. It's a theory only. Personally, it would better to pray to God that if it were in His will to enlighten you about the identity of 666 to the Antichrist - maybe He might choose to reveal it to you. I personally don't know at this time.

Doug

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barraco

Jun 24, 2004
Minot, ND
Visit site
✟24,283.00
Faith
Christian
666 is in hebrew not Greek!, just because the book of revelation was written in Greek does not mean 666 will be Greek

The number of the beast's name comes from the fact that gematra is not used, but that the Romans used letters for numbers. So you can count the number of his name by getting rid of the letters that aren't used for numbers. In the Latin numbering system, the letters I, V, X, L, C, D, and U are used as numbers. (I=1, V=5, X=10, L=50, C=100, D=500, and U=5, as shown as a V also.)

V I C A R I U S F I L I I D E I

Now eliminate the non-numerical letters:

V I C I U I L I I D I

5 + 1 + 100 + 1 + 5 (112) 1 + 50 + 1 + 1 (53) 500 + 1 (501)

Added together, these equal 666.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The number of the beast's name comes from the fact that gematra is not used, but that the Romans used letters for numbers. So you can count the number of his name by getting rid of the letters that aren't used for numbers. In the Latin numbering system, the letters I, V, X, L, C, D, and U are used as numbers. (I=1, V=5, X=10, L=50, C=100, D=500, and U=5, as shown as a V also.)

V I C I U I L I I D I

The roman numerical letters are one theory. Could be, because the Antichrist comes from the people who destroyed the temple. But I don't think that cast out the non-number letters is right - just my opinion, becaue it is too broad. I think if Roman numeral letters are the key, the Antichrist's name will be made up of only those applicable letters.

I used to try and arrange the different combinations to see if there was name that made sense. I came up empty. But mostly from getting wore out.

I think the key is to watch the EU. See what develops as this financial crisis over there continues to evolve. Right now, the EU commission on fiscal budget enforcement under the new fiscal pact they all signed onto a couple of months ago, has the power to fine countries 2-3% of their GDP if they go over.

I can see that penalty system eventually getting more severe, if it has no effect, and that ultimately the little horn will be authorized to remove leaders who don't comply.

Doug

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2008
✟9,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

V I C I U I L I I D I

1. Aleph ' (not the vowel "a") ----1
2. Beyth B ----2
3. Giymel G ----3
4. Daleth D ----4
5. He H ----5
6. Vav W or V ----6
7. Zayin Z ----7
8. Cheyth CH ----8
9. Teyth T (used after vowels) ----9
10. Yowd Y or J ----10
11. Kaph * K or C (K sound) ----20
12. Lamed L ----30
13. Mem M ----40
14. Nuwn N ----50
15. Camek S or C (S sound) ----60
16. 'Ayin (guttural sound) ----70
17. Phe PH = F -----80
18. Tsadey TS ----90
19. Qowph Q ----100
20. Resh R ----200
21. Siyn S ----300
Shiyn SH ----300
22. Thav TH ----400
Tav * T (used after consonants) ----400
_____________ Mem 40 Yowd 10 Tav 400 Resh 200 He 5 Yowd 10 Aleph 1 maitreya in Hebrew 666

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Maitreya (or whoever claims to be) is a false christ, but not the Antichrist of the bible. He is tied to buddist eschatology. Nothing to do with the bible or Israel. You can cross him off your list.

The Antichrist has to be qualified to be "king messiah" to the Jews. He has to be a Jew. And his religion cannot be buddahism.

Doug

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That isn't anyone's name (far as I know, anyway), nor is it a title used by anyone, including the Pope. Looks like it was thunk up specifically to work out to 666 using the method you showed.

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2008
✟9,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maitreya (or whoever claims to be) is a false christ, but not the Antichrist of the bible. He is tied to buddist eschatology. Nothing to do with the bible or Israel. You can cross him off your list.

The Antichrist has to be qualified to be "king messiah" to the Jews. He has to be a Jew. And his religion cannot be buddahism.

Doug
yes he can be a jew also hes not going to reveal himself to the jews as maitreya buddha he and the false prophet will do that later, then the jews will realize they made a mistake , jesus vs buddha, what a great match the previous buddha attain enlightenment under a fig tree, jesus Curses a fig tree what a perfect reason to Curse the figtree, jesus knew the future beast was maitreya

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private