• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Vow Making/Punishments/Agreeing with Thoughts

Mercy743

Jun 21, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟8,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've noticed a very specific pattern that my mind tends to follow:

1. Triggering Event: I do something that I feel guilty about. I have a thought that produces a sort of instantaneous vow to create a sort of 'barrier' to future sin, guilt, etc. Sometimes this vow 'feels' more conscious, i.e. I have willful agency in the vow, but often it is very much instantaneous, and I am more agreeing with the vow than I am willfully making it.

2. Stakes are High: Any time one of these insta-vows occurs, whatever I want most or least want to occur to me, be taken from me, etc, is always served up as the reward or penalty for breaking or keeping my vow.

3. But What If This is God Testing Me: Now, based on the above logical reasoning you would think I would be able to quickly identify this pattern and conclude that perhaps this is my brain playing tricks on me, however, as often seems the case in OCD thinking, I always tend to wonder "What if the source of this is God testing me?"..."What if I really did willfully make this vow, am I now bound to it despite its haste, having been done in a spirit of fear, etc?"

Essentially, I've been stuck in this same thought cycle for several years now. What it all comes down to is this: I really do fear and revere God, and I don't want to displease Him.

When I go against these vows, I feel terrible, and yet I believe this to be the true path to healing. The scariest part is that I have built so much of my relationship with God around these sort of visceral promptings, nudges, etc, that when I try to break the vows I've made in an effort to engage in a sort of spiritual ERP therapy, the result is a feeling that can only be described as 'disrupted communion with God'. It is almost as if the compulsions restore a sense of communion with Him.

Now, the hope I have comes from Christ, knowing that in Him all of my sins, past, present, and future have been dealt with on the cross and that His Word tells me that he does not count them against me or remember them any more because of Jesus.

It is just so hard to silence that nagging voice that whispers in my ear saying "Yes, you're saved in an eternal sense, but you better not break these vows because God will punish you and make all of these horrible ultimatums come true in the 'temporal' sense.

I know that a sort of pettiness and vindictiveness that this inner voice posits is not true of Jesus, and thus of God, but I still waver, falling back into the 'but what if He won't be merciful this time, what if He will hold me to this one, etc."

I've run across similar posts to this one and often the advice is something akin to 'pray about it, see which vows you should keep and which you shouldn't.' Although well intentioned, this sort of advice is not helpful to a person whose mind can already condemn them by finding any little reason to justify the sort of 'but what if this time its real' thinking that OCD generates.

I am at the point where I do not think micromanaging these vows is productive. I feel like my only salvation from this struggle is a radically renewed mind, a brand new way of thinking about these vows past and present and a radical deviation from a sort of 'maybe this one is real, maybe it isn't way of thinking'. So I present to you this question which has plagued me for years:

Even if these vows were done consciously, is the blood of Jesus able to cover and annul them anyway?

Will my asking God to annul these vows, regardless of whether they were done willfully, guarantee that I am freed from the ultimatums they present?

This is the sort of worst case scenario thinking that I have to entertain to be freed from this struggle. I would be very, very grateful for any resolute conclusions from the Word that others within this community could offer. I want total, and final liberation from this fear of temporal punishment that I know many others in this forum have also struggled with. I want to rest in the mercy and love of a God who did not withhold sending his own Son to die. Thank you friends for your time and advice.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟142,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing perceptiveness and a good knowledge of OCD and how it works. You are absolutely right, "breaking" the vows is the right way to combat your OCD. I believe the "loss of communion" you feel with God is your OCD trying to insert guilt where there should be none. The way to handle an obsession - and it seems like you already know this - is to refuse to give in to whatever the OCD/anxiety is telling you to do. In this case, that means NOT keeping the vows. Your OCD brain is super smart and as long as you are afraid of getting these thoughts/"instantaneous vows," it will keep sending them to you. The key is to consistently refuse your compulsions, even mental ones like pushing out or cancelling the thoughts. Although the final questions of your post are not bad questions to ask, to me it looks like OCD wanting to gain complete certainty - which you can't have. After all, even if someone answers the questions to your satisfaction, won't OCD just come up with another reason for you to be afraid? And even if you do accept that asking God's forgiveness is enough, won't OCD continue to send you these thoughts, so that you'll have to continue asking forgiveness for them? I don't know how long you've had OCD, but the best way to attack it is head-on. If you address only the issue it's attaching itself to, it will swiftly dream up another issue for you to obsess about. So my advice would actually be to stop treating these thoughts as if they hold meaning. You "feel" like you mean them - but that is your OCD brain over-analyzing, which it always does. You basically have to learn to ignore the thoughts, which means just letting them be there, not trying to drive them away but also recognizing that just because you have them doesn't mean that you MEAN them. Your OCD will try to convince you otherwise, of course. :)

I know this isn't exactly the answer that you were looking for, but I do think it is important to tackle the OCD part of it. It doesn't mean I'm right, either - but OCD and I go way back, so I do speak from experience. It sounds like you're already familiar with ERP therapy. Do you have a therapist? There are some great resources online for people with scrupulosity/OCD. Here is just one of my favorites: ocdandchristianity.com/. I can also recommend more if you're interested!

Upvote 0

Mercy743

Jun 21, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟8,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing perceptiveness and a good knowledge of OCD and how it works. You are absolutely right, "breaking" the vows is the right way to combat your OCD. I believe the "loss of communion" you feel with God is your OCD trying to insert guilt where there should be none. The way to handle an obsession - and it seems like you already know this - is to refuse to give in to whatever the OCD/anxiety is telling you to do. In this case, that means NOT keeping the vows. Your OCD brain is super smart and as long as you are afraid of getting these thoughts/"instantaneous vows," it will keep sending them to you. The key is to consistently refuse your compulsions, even mental ones like pushing out or cancelling the thoughts. Although the final questions of your post are not bad questions to ask, to me it looks like OCD wanting to gain complete certainty - which you can't have. After all, even if someone answers the questions to your satisfaction, won't OCD just come up with another reason for you to be afraid? And even if you do accept that asking God's forgiveness is enough, won't OCD continue to send you these thoughts, so that you'll have to continue asking forgiveness for them? I don't know how long you've had OCD, but the best way to attack it is head-on. If you address only the issue it's attaching itself to, it will swiftly dream up another issue for you to obsess about. So my advice would actually be to stop treating these thoughts as if they hold meaning. You "feel" like you mean them - but that is your OCD brain over-analyzing, which it always does. You basically have to learn to ignore the thoughts, which means just letting them be there, not trying to drive them away but also recognizing that just because you have them doesn't mean that you MEAN them. Your OCD will try to convince you otherwise, of course. :)

I know this isn't exactly the answer that you were looking for, but I do think it is important to tackle the OCD part of it. It doesn't mean I'm right, either - but OCD and I go way back, so I do speak from experience. It sounds like you're already familiar with ERP therapy. Do you have a therapist? There are some great resources online for people with scrupulosity/OCD. Here is just one of my favorites: ocdandchristianity.com/. I can also recommend more if you're interested!
Hey Mari,

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to respond to me. I whole heartedly agree with your assessment. Thanks again!

Upvote 0