Voting in favor of your Bible POV - God's Word

What is your POV regarding the Bible 7 day week doctrine on origins?

• Ex 20:11 summarizes the lit seven day creation account in Gen 1-2 : & fits with science fact

• Evolution is science fact. The Bible is myth, or allegory or ... and can fit any sort of evolution

• Since the Bible is not reliable historic fact, we should focus on other parts of the Bible

Results are only viewable after voting.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
5. The bible account is true but we don't understand it fully.

There are many things we do not "fully understand" in the Bible
1. The Trinity
2. The incarnation of God the Son as Jesus Christ
3. Exactly how it is that God raises the dead
4. Exactly how God restores sight to the blind
5. The New Birth

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How do you understand Jesus's comment, "Take, eat, this is my Body, which is given for you."?

Maybe we should start a thread on that topic and even have some voting options for it on that other thread -- :)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here's another poll I suggest for you:
Our Lord Christ was correct when He said "Take; eat; this is my body which is given for you." and "Drink of it, all of you.

I agree that is another topic for another poll on another thread. But I would be very interested in participating in it if you want to start it.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we should start a thread on that topic and even have some voting options for it on that other thread -- :)
Why? You believe what He said or you don't. If you don't then you're in agreement with all those folks who deserted Him when He said it. It is, after all "This is an hard saying; who can hear it?". Now those folks took Him literally/ They hadn't bristled at His parables, or His calling Himself "the gate", but this stuff about His Body and Blood stopped them in their tracks. " From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." Did He explain Himself to those who remained, or correct their misunderstanding of His meaning? Far from it. "Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" To our eternal blessing as well as theirs, they stayed.

So sorry mate, the old "it's just an analogy" rigamarole doesn't answer. He gave it with a "take it or leave it", those who left it left it literally.

So if we're deciding which Scriptures must to be taken literally, either the highly poeticized account of the Creation in Genesis, or the take it or leave it presentation of our Lord's own words in the Gospels, I'm saying the our Lord's Words in the Gospels are the ones that are of ultimate importance. If you reject them you have reduced all of SCripture to merely academic significance.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its primary use is not as a history book
I would say it's not a science book, but it indeed is a history book, it's just not a western history book.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
remember, once again, our Lord said what He said, and that is undeniable. And He said "Take, eat, this is my Body, which is given for you."
And what was it that Jesus and His disciples had before them that night.

Matthew 26: 26 ¶And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

So what was it that Jesus and His disciples ate that night? Bread. What was it that they drank? The fruit of the vine: grape juice. He didn't give them His own flesh and blood for He was right there with them. His object lesson was clearly symbolic just like the Passover lamb was symbolic of His death on Calvary.

People read all kinds of things into His statements that night, but the context of the story of the last supper tells us Jesus' meaning was symbolic just like the Passover lamb was symbolic.

Jesus replaced one ceremony with another. He also replaced one symbolic event with another. The first symbolic event looked forward to Him. The second looked back to remind us of Him and His sacrifice. Just like the Passover lamb looked forward to Him and His sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what was it that Jesus and His disciples ate that night? Bread.
You don't take it literally. Got it. I say you're wrong. If God Himself says "this is My Body", then that's what it is. The standard Zwinglian "it's just a memorial" stuff is a pernicious untruth.

I assume that you believe that you take the 7 days of Creation literally though, right?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My vote is, the 7 day creation is literal and historical fact, and it disagrees/goes against so-called “science”
So why don't you believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are our Lord's Body and Blood? Zis mean Genesis is important but the words of God Himself not so much?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't take it literally. Got it. I say you're wrong. If God Himself says "this is My Body", then that's what it is. The standard Zwinglian "it's just a memorial" stuff is a pernicious untruth.

I assume that you believe that you take the 7 days of Creation literally though, right?

Ironic that you should bring up Zwingli. I'm reading J. H. Merle d'Aubigne's history of the 16th Century Reformation. Outstanding book. I also, not too long ago, finished reading the Selected Works of Huldrich Zwingli made available for download by The Online Library of Liberty. Another very good read. And Zwingli was correct in his theology. That you want to go back to the day's before the Reformation and the obvious corruption of the church of those days is sad. Truth keeps moving on. It's always going forward from one truth to the next and it always ties together in an unmistakable way. New truth never contradicts old truth. They just build on each other.

And the doctrine of transubstantiation does not fit with the teachings of the Bible. Therefore it is not truth.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question on creation. Yes, I believe in the Bible's story of creation. Literally. It's a literal story, just like the story of the last supper. Only what Jesus said there about His body and his blood was symbolic. Moses' story of creation is is not a story that is symbolic. He uses no symbolic language like Jesus did at the last supper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Actually, it is--in addition to being divine revelation dealing with all sorts of spiritual matters.

The Bible is, in fact, the only documentary evidence of the great majority of the events in the life on Earth of the most important man who ever lived among us. And although there are those items in Scripture which have been argued about for centuries, the Bible has proven to be correct on one after another of them.

No, it is not and it has not been. The Bible is human accounts of encounters with the Divine.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
None of the above.

The Bible doesn't give us an historical, literal accounting of material origins. Science does, and it is reliable. The creation stories aren't about how things got to be the way they are now, but about the relationship between God, man, and the rest of creation which ultimately points us to Jesus Christ who heals and sets right what went wrong.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't take it literally.

But I asked you how you took it, you said literally in post 22, then I asked "Then what's the problem" you never answered, and now you say you say "You don't take it literally"

Whasup widat?

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So why don't you believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are our Lord's Body and Blood? Zis mean Genesis is important but the words of God Himself not so much?
You are assuming... why don’t you ask me *if* I believe they are literal or not?

Exodus 20:8-11 are the words of God himself, btw.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not and it has not been. The Bible is human accounts of encounters with the Divine.
LOL. It's also a reference book for the lives of secular rulers, to the truth or falsity of the Deluge, to the parting of the Red Sea, to the background of the Magi, to the development of the Hebrew people, to the economy of the cities of Judea and Galilee, to the nature of the Roman government in that era, to the correct dating of events, and to a mountain of additional historical information. And historians as well as natural scientists do make use of all of this and more.

Upvote 0