Votes for Trade Justice

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
On 26th September there will be a rally for Trade Justice taking place in Brighton (that's in the UK).

The purpose has been set out as the following:
What we're calling for
We need to persuade the UK government that, to end poverty and protect the environment, we need trade justice - not free trade.

They need to press for:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Changes to the rules and conditions of the IMF, World Bank and WTO to allow poor countries' governments to protect their small farmers and traders, and help new industries to get off the ground[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. An end to dumping cheap, subsidised exports on developing countries[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Binding international legislation to ensure global corporations meet basic social and environmental standards in poor countries[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Christian Aid is also a member of the Trade Justice Movement - a broad and powerful coalition of charities and campaigning organisations who all believe it's time to change the way the world trades.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Who we're calling on
Our main target is the UK government. We want them to use their influence within the powerful international institutions (that's the EU, the World Trade Organisation and World Bank/International Monetary Fund) to call for change.

We campaign directly to the UK government (particularly Prime Minister Tony Blair, Trade and Industry Secretary Patricia Hewitt, and International Development Secretary Hilary Benn) and through MPs.

We lobby as an organisation and we also encourage people like you to use your voices for change by taking action - like sending postcards, writing letters or attending events.
[/font]
I hope UK posters will be coming. (More info can be found here, including how to find a coach going in the right direction http://www.christianaid.org.uk/campaign/brighton/index.htm)

I wonder if anything similar happens in the US, Australia or other parts of the world?

A

ahab

Hi Treasure the Questions,

I think this is good, though I am not feeling called to support it particularly. I think its a good deal more complicated than it seems what with corruption and wars etc. There are plenty of other politcial efforts here.

What I can say is I cant thank you and encourage you enough for the Fair Trade work you do. This shows the world that it isnt just talk but we do what we say. The more people buy fair trade, free trade will be impacted anyway.
:)

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Why campaign on trade?
Half the world's population are living in poverty and the gap between rich and poor is widening. But it doesn't have to be this way. We can change it - by making international trade work for the poor so they have a chance to work their way out of poverty. That's what the Trade Justice Campaign is all about.

Christian Aid believes that it is essential to tackle the underlying causes of poverty. Many of the key decisions that affect poor countries and poor communities, and that can sometimes create poverty, are made by politicians and business leaders in the rich world. We can all use our influence on these people to make sure that the perspective of the world's poorest people is heard.

Christian Aid also believes that the Christian gospel demands that we do all we can to challenge injustice and inequality, and to work for a world where everyone is included in the feast of life.

Top 10 facts
1. International trade is worth $10 million a minute.

2. But poor countries only account for 0.4 per cent of this trade. Since 1980 their share has halved.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Rigged trade rules cost the developing world $700 billion a year, according to the UN. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Income per person in the poorest countries in Africa has fallen by a quarter in the last 20 years.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. The three richest people in the world control more wealth than all 600 million people living in the world's poorest countries.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Nearly half the world's population (2.8 billion people) live on less than US$2 per day.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. The prices of many poor countries' key exports are at a 150-year low.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. The world's 50 poorest countries have less than three per cent of the vote at the International Monetary Fund, an institution whose financial decisions spell life and death for ordinary people around the globe. Just one country - the US - has sole veto power.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. At one full meeting of the WTO, the EU had 500 negotiators. Haiti had none.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. After one round of trade negotiations, rich countries calculated that they would be $141.8 billion better off, while Africa would lose $2.6 billion[/font]

More info here http://www.christian-aid.org/campaign/brighton/index.htm

Upvote 0
A

ahab

Apart from those who are starving, one way I think brings the rich/poor gap into focus for me is the understanding that up to one third of the worlds population may not get a choice in what they can eat today. They will be grateful for whatever they can get hold of to eat. Something to reflect on when we are moaning in the queue at the supermarket.

More info here http://www.tearfund.org/homepage/index.asp

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
ahab said:
The first item on the website is plea for helping Sudan's refugees. These are innocent Christians and pagans murdered and enslaved by militant moslems like Al-Quaida clones. CBN has raised money for them and still sends in food, but the moslem gov't sends bombers to kill the people and steals most of the food aid. That is why it is a waste to give via the Sudanese gov't or to any group that does. We have found that it is much better to give to CBN Operation Blessing which delivers the food directly to the victims with our own rented aircraft. We risk our lives delivering the food and medical care, since the military tries to destroy our aircraft flying in the name of Christ.

At best this is only a temporary band-aid on a deep infection. The infection needs to be removed by drastic surgury... by the free world's military. I hope Bush leads a coalition to restore order and protect the innocent of Sudan. Perhaps Tony Blair or his successor will join the world and President Bush in protecting the innocent Sudanese victims.

All the food in the world cannot help murder victims. The first right is the right to life, and we can protect that right only if we have the courage.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Not sure of ahab's point, but if you'd looked lower down the page you would see that TEARfund also support Votes for Trade Justice, which is very heartening.

TEARfund is the develpment and aid organisation of a large number of British Evangelical Christians.

As to the situaiton in Sudan, a Christian Aid worker was interviewed on the radio yesterday. Many aid workers are there in the camps of Dafur. Aid from UK Christian organisations goes straight to where it's needed. It is not given to governments, although in some situations government supporters may steal aid, but our main aid organisations are getting better at delivering the aid to where it is needed all the time. European governments are putting pressure on the Sudanese government to put an end to these atrocities. Diplomacy must always be given its very best shot.

Christians and all people of good will must work together to bring about a satisfactory outcome by peaceful means. Violence only begets violence.

Karin

Upvote 0
A

ahab

Yes I didn’t really need to mention Tearfund as you had indeed covered it with your reference to Votes for Trade Justice. I give thanks and acknowledge the work done by organisations like Christian Aid and Tearfund though I only actively give to Tearfund.

However regardless of how successful wthese oragnisations are at aid and regardless of how efforts are foiled by war and corruption etc, we still are called to help (essentially the brave workers for these charities) As you say violence isn’t something of the Kingdom, however neither is disbelief. This is a spiritual battle as well. If the whole world was Christian and the life of the Kingdom was on earth as in heaven then there wouldn’t be any wars or famine.

I think Sharps point is that if one group want to fight to cause famine and Bush wants to fight to cause relief then don’t just attack Bush. Don’t just blame the begetted violence, but also the violence that begets it.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:

I think Sharps point is that if one group want to fight to cause famine and Bush wants to fight to cause relief then don’t just attack Bush. Don’t just blame the begetted violence, but also the violence that begets it.
Violence is often bred of despair. Terrorism certainly gains support when people are oppressed, exploited and denied hope for the future. The "war on terrorism" needs to be fought, not by bombing countries where terrorists live and causing deeper despair and anarchy, but by helping people there to produce goods and sell them at a fair price, and to be able to trade in world markets where they are treated justly. Powerful Western nations shouldn't be so concerned to manipulate who becomes leaders in these countries so they will have allies who look favourably on them for trade purposes, but it's time our nations worked to support stable governments that have the people's interests at heart.

The reason Free Trade is not the answer was illustrated beautifully in a leaflet from Christian Aid. It shows a giraffe and an antelope trying to feed from the same tree. The ground they stand on is level, but the antelope is lucky if it gets one or two of the lowest leaves. The giraffe gets pretty well all the leaves. Abd this is how free trade works, it is weighted in favour of rich and powerful nations.

I believe there is a similar picture in this quarter's Tearfund magazine.

Basically, we in the West have got to make a lot of changes if we aren't going to keep growing prosperous by oppressing and exploiting people in the developing world. If we don't, we mustn't be surprised if they use violent tactics to try to redress the balance. So Trade Justice isn't just about an idealistic concern for others, but it is trying to do something to make our own part of the world safer. The price for peace is a downgrading of our current lifestyle, but is that really too much to pay to make the world a safer and more sustainable place for our children and grandchildren?

I'm not sure that if we were all Christians that would put paid to violence and wars. There are a lot of people calling themselves Christians who would be happy to attack others for one reason or another. If we everyone in this world truly allowed their heart and mind to be changed by Jesus and saw him as their example, then maybe we would have true peace. However, not everyone believes that he called us to be peacemakers, although it seems obvious to me.

Upvote 0
A

ahab

I am not exactly sure what you are getting at, which now seems to be terrorism, rather than poverty. I agree with a lot of what you write and what Tearfund and Christian Aid see as the problems with world trade.

I don’t think that the cause of terrorism is confined to economics. It seems to be provoked by all kinds of things that people feel injustice by. Your point was that violence begets violence and I agree. Your point now seems to be that deprevation provokes violence and I also agree it can. However the situation in Sudan isn’t just down to deprevation caused by the west, but about people being displaced and robbed of wealth and homes during civil war. I think this was Sharp’s point.

As to Fair Trade, if so many people bought only Fair Trade products then free trade would become fair trade as everyone tries to compete.

I'm not sure that if we were all Christians that would put paid to violence and wars.
Well I wasn’t referring just to Christians, but to Christians and the Kingdom of God. If Christians lived according to the ways of the Kingdom then there wouldn’t be any wars or greed, but as you point out not all Christians live that way. However the gospel is about the victory of Jesus not the falling short of His followers.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:

Sharp may have been referring to the Sudan, but the problems there are not due to unjust trade, so it is not relevant to this thread.

I'm not saying all problems are due to unjust trade, but many are.

You say not to just attack Bush, but Bush, the US government, American multinational corporations, Western governments and Western multinational corporations and World Trade Rules weighted in their favour are responsible for much poverty and oppression in the developing world. Not all, but a great deal, and we should not allow our governments and multinaltionals to shirk their responsibility.

We must also recognise that the practices of these bodies do help terrorism to grow. Afghanistan was impoverished before 9/11. The Taliban were oppressive but I believe their weapons may have been supplied by the US who were too focussed on being anti-Russia to see the wider implications of their acts. World Trade rules meant that any crop other than opium (?) would not fetch a good price. So while we may condemn Afghanistan for harbouring terrorists, we must recognise our part in creating the conditions in which this could happen.

This is why Trade Justice is not just about reducing poverty, but also reducing the factors that foster terrorism. There are other factors involved, but this tread is focussing on Trade Justice.

Karin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

ahab

I wish to give the encouragement and support to Trade Justice efforts which it deserves.

I think we agree that there is a major imbalance for Christians, as far as loving our neighbour is concerned with the wealth and poverty in the world. However, this isn’t just caused by Christians but by greed and war and disease etc.
You say not to just attack Bush,
That’s again not quite right, I said don’t just attack Bush. The reference to Bush was associated with the Sudanese situation which has been caused by people whose lives are at risk since they fled their homes in the Darfur region of western Sudan. This is poverty as result of fighting between armed rebel groups and militia rather than poverty caused by Trade or America directly. It is also concerns the possible persecution of Christians by Muslims, terrorism! The gospel of Jesus is to love ones neighbour and to love one enemies. I cant speak for what the Koran says about jihad and the infidel.

As to Trade, the governments and multi nationals are not all Christian and so they don’t always see the Christian reasons for fair trade and debt relief and as you say they don’t recognise the politics that create these conditions.

This is why Trade Justice should be just about reducing poverty through Trade Justice.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
Not sure why you're still mentioning Bush, ahab. What does he have to do with the situation in Sudan? (See separate thread to discuss the situation there.)

ahab said:
As to Trade, the governments and multi nationals are not all Christian and so they don’t always see the Christian reasons for fair trade and debt relief and as you say they don’t recognise the politics that create these conditions.
However, as often as not Christians enjoy a prosperous lifestyle which supports these companies.

Not sure what you mean by
This is why Trade Justice should be just about reducing poverty through Trade Justice.
My point is that the issues involved are wide-ranging. Moreover, charity can help reduce poverty. Trade justice also gives people dignity and hope. I don't think it's just about reducing poverty at all, ahab. Why does that seem to cause you a problem?

Karin

Upvote 0
A

ahab

Hi again Treasure the Questions,

Sharp mentioned Bush concerning the situation in Sudan. I feel that we seem to be quarreling unnecessarily. I accept what you say but when it comes to the wider issues you dont seem to agree with all those wider issues. For example.
However, as often as not Christians enjoy a prosperous lifestyle which supports these companies.
Yes I acknowledge that as often as not Christians enjoy a prosperous lifestyle which supports multi nationals, but do you agree that not all members of the government are Christians and so wont see the Trade situation our way from a Christian point of view?

If we don't, we mustn't be surprised if they use violent tactics to try to redress the balance
Nor must we be surprised if we do redress the balance and still find violent attacks as we see in the case of the Sudan? Greed exists whether there is shortage or abundance. Were the people in Sudan that were disposed of their wealth, disposed because the militia were in poverty? I think my point is that if people seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then all these things will be given. That means America and the 3rd world.
Moreover, charity can help reduce poverty. Trade justice also gives people dignity and hope. I don't think it's just about reducing poverty at all, ahab. Why does that seem to cause you a problem?
It doesn’t cause me a problem, but Trade Justice isn’t charity, if there was justice in trade there wouldn’t need to be charity in trade.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:
For example.Yes I acknowledge that as often as not Christians enjoy a prosperous lifestyle which supports multi nationals, but do you agree that not all members of the government are Christians and so wont see the Trade situation our way from a Christian point of view?

Of course, but how is it relevant?

ahab said:
Nor must we be surprised if we do redress the balance and still find violent attacks as we see in the case of the Sudan? Greed exists whether there is shortage or abundance. Were the people in Sudan that were disposed of their wealth, disposed because the militia were in poverty? I think my point is that if people seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, then all these things will be given. That means America and the 3rd world.

Not sure what the situation in Sudan has to do with Trade Justice. It seems to be a separate issue. Why bring it up?
ahab said:
Trade Justice isn’t charity, if there was justice in trade there wouldn’t need to be charity in trade.
I'm not saying it is charity. In fact I think you've just repeated what I said, pretty much, just worded it differently.

We don't seem to speak the same language, and we don't even have the Atlantic separating us!

Upvote 0
A

ahab

Hi again Treasure the Questions,

Of course, but how is it relevant?
Its relevant in the same way as Christians stopping living in ways that supported multi nationals, multi nationals and governments still consist of people who dont ‘buy in’. to the idea. They may buy in to ‘fair trade’ however if it threatens their ‘free trade’.

Not sure what the situation in Sudan has to do with Trade Justice. It seems to be a separate issue. Why bring it up?
I think Sharp brought it up, and you responded. My point about t
he Sudan situation has to do with your position on trade justice alleviating terrorism and violence. Trade justice is just one problem, because even with trade justice there will still be wars and militia who rob, displace and cause deprevation, which you have already acknowledged. Matthew 6:33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

We don't seem to speak the same language, and we don't even have the Atlantic separating us!
. :) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
ahab said:
My point about the Sudan situation has to do with your position on trade justice alleviating terrorism and violence. Trade justice is just one problem, because even with trade justice there will still be wars and militia who rob, displace and cause deprevation, which you have already acknowledged. Matthew 6:33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

. :) :)
I don't think I said it was the whole answer, but we do need to recognise the effect our lifestyles, and our govts' policies do have on these issues. We do need to do what we can, even if we can't solve the whole problem. We are responsible for the changes we could make but couldn't be bothered to, and for the opportunities we have to be a voice for the voiceless, but kept silent.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
There is as William Stringfellow says a problem, and that is the fall. The principalities and powers serve death, see Revelation 13. So as Christians as we struggle to live the Kingdom, we will be a minority and yet if we are serious as the first generations of Christians were, we can change the world. One of the books, this will date me for sure is Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger by Ron Sider that is an excellent book that describes the problem.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0