Northern NSW
✟981,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Voluntary assisted dying law passes South Australia's Parliament on way to becoming law - ABC News
24 June 202

Voluntary Assisted Dying Legalised in South Australia

South Australia (SA) has become the fourth Australian state to pass legislation to legalise euthanasia.

The Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill has just been passed by the South Australian Parliament.

Patients in the state could access assisted dying as early as the end of next year.

SA's legislation, which is modelled on Victoria's laws, includes over 70 safeguards and has been described as among the most conservative in the world.

Eligible patients must be 18 years or over, an Australian citizen and have lived in South Australia for at least one year.

They must have a terminal condition deemed to cause intolerable suffering and expected to cause death within weeks or months.

The process requires approval by two separate doctors within a prescribed time frame.

Victoria, Western Australia and Tasmania have already legalised voluntary assisted dying.

Source:
Voluntary assisted dying to become law in South Australia as euthanasia bill passes Parliament - ABC News

OB

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Voluntary assisted dying law passes South Australia's Parliament on way to becoming law - ABC News
24 June 202

South Australia (SA) has become the fourth Australian state to pass legislation to legalise euthanasia.

The Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill has just been passed by the South Australian Parliament.

Patients in the state could access assisted dying as early as the end of next year.

SA's legislation, which is modelled on Victoria's laws, includes over 70 safeguards and has been described as among the most conservative in the world.

Eligible patients must be 18 years or over, an Australian citizen and have lived in South Australia for at least one year.

They must have a terminal condition deemed to cause intolerable suffering and expected to cause death within weeks or months.

The process requires approval by two separate doctors within a prescribed time frame.

Victoria, Western Australia and Tasmania have already legalised voluntary assisted dying.

Source:
Voluntary assisted dying to become law in South Australia as euthanasia bill passes Parliament - ABC News

OB

What is it about the topic you would like to discuss?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I may be in the minority as a Christian, but it seems like a humane way for those with terminal illnesses to go.

From experience on the Forum views on this are mixed. Many Christians seem to support dying assistance in extreme circumstances. There is also broad support for "Do not resuscitate" when the circumstances are appropriate.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's terribly sad. A need we shouldn't fulfill but suffering is so tough. Maybe remember if this comes up in your life that there are others worse off that are suffering through it. We really can find a much worse ailment in another's life.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟590,115.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
24 June 202

Source:

OB

Good news.

• Agree
Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟249,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's good news.

But it's a tough call to make, whether you are a politician passing the act, a close family member of someone who is dying, the doctors approving an application and obviously for the person making the decision. But it had to be available for those in need.

NSW might allow we the people to decide in a plebiscite in the next state election. And polls show anything between 70 - 80% approval.

• Agree
Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's good news.

But it's a tough call to make, whether you are a politician passing the act, a close family member of someone who is dying, the doctors approving an application and obviously for the person making the decision. But it had to be available for those in need.

NSW might allow we the people to decide in a plebiscite in the next state election. And polls show anything between 70 - 80% approval.

Thanks for the tip. Is this the poll you were thinking of?

(Note for non- Australians. The "Coalition voters" referred to below are the conservative (i.e.'right') end of Australian politics. Assisted dying has strong support across the political spectrum in NSW.)

3 in 4 NSW Voters Back Victorian Style Euthanasia Laws, Including 76% of Coalition Voters | The Australia Institute
Key results:
  • Seven in 10 NSW residents (72%) say that voluntary assisted dying should be legal, compared to 13% who say it should not.
  • Coalition voters were among the most supportive of voluntary assisted dying, with 74% backing the reform.
  • Three in four NSW residents (75%) support introducing the specific voluntary assisted dying model that was implemented in Victoria last year, including 44% who strongly support it.
  • 76% of Coalition, 76% of Labor, 83% of Greens, 73% of One Nation and 62% of Independent/Other voters support voluntary assisted dying laws like those in Victoria.
“New South Wales voters want the right to die with dignity,” said Ben Oquist, executive director of The Australia Institute.

“Victoria has led the way in this space and our research shows that people in New South Wales want their state to follow.

“This is not an easy subject for some in the community to deal with, but it is clear from these results that people in New South Wales want voluntarily assisted dying laws to be enacted.

“This should not be a party political discussion. Voters of all types support this legislation, including 76% of Coalition voters.”

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ranunculus

Aug 21, 2008
✟268,230.00
Country
Luxembourg
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's terribly sad. A need we shouldn't fulfill but suffering is so tough. Maybe remember if this comes up in your life that there are others worse off that are suffering through it. We really can find a much worse ailment in another's life.
What about self determination? Who should be the arbiter of how much pain is too much? Can suffering really be quantified and compared? I imagine those other people who are "suffering more" can make their own decisions as well.
You don't want me to make those decisions for you, now do you? Imagine you're in a hospital bed, suffering from life ending ailments, with no immediate end in sight, and in such pain that you're begging to die. Do you really want me to come into your room, lean over close and whisper in your ear, 'no, I won't let you'?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,629.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
It's interesting that there's higher support among Coalition voters. I wonder if it's because they tend to skew older in age?

Possibly, but offsetting that, older Coalition voters are (I think) more likely to be practising Christians. Since Christians are typically opposed to assisted dying I'm a little confused.

I need to do a deep dive into some population/political/age stats for NSW.

But first ...Dinner awaits. Baked Barramundi with Lemon Sauce followed by a robust Chocolate Blanc Mange, avec des Fraises Fraîches and Creme (with a doodah over the E)

All washed down with a cheeky Sauvignon Blanc.

OB

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟249,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The coalition numbers surprised me as well. Maybe you're right about the age!

Andrew Denton (for non Aussies - a TV performer, writer and producer) has restarted his podcast 'Better Off Dead' by gogentleaustralia.com - perhaps a play on words on Dylan Thomas's Do Not Go Gentle Into That Dark Night. (I'd like to imagine that I'd 'rage, rage against the dying of the light' but when the time comes, maybe I'd prefer to slip off quietly).

Denton's dedicated the last 2 or 3 years to the cause and I'm sure he would have had some influence in the Victoria decision.

Oops...South Australia decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since Christians are typically opposed to assisted dying I'm a little confused.

I'm not so sure. IME Christian organisations tend to make a lot of noise against, but I'd wager that the vast majority of folks in the pews are less convinced. I know that - for example - the social responsibilities committee of the Anglican diocese of Melbourne tends to make statements strongly against, but I also know that those statements are driven by one member of the committee, often over the objections of others.

It only takes one bad death of a loved one to move the needle on this, and most of us (especially those who are older) have had that experience.

• Agree
Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟249,009.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What about self determination? Who should be the arbiter of how much pain is too much? Can suffering really be quantified and compared? I imagine those other people who are "suffering more" can make their own decisions as well.
You don't want me to make those decisions for you, now do you? Imagine you're in a hospital bed, suffering from life ending ailments, with no immediate end in sight, and in such pain that you're begging to die. Do you really want me to come into your room, lean over close and whisper in your ear, 'no, I won't let you'?

If you're one of the two doctors making the decision then I guess you could. But I'd assume that you'd have a very good reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟340,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As christians do we have a right to discuss this at all?
Besides It being a moot subject in the US it should also be verboten to christians.
To answer your question, if and it is a huge IF we had that right it would be the person themselves who would make the decision. No one else. People that may need the choice one day would set down their choice for the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0