You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Vitamin D3 is an outstanding supplement for enhancing calcium absorption and ward off cancer. Other forms of Vit. D in scientific studies have been shown to be toxic. Vit. D3 is the safe supplement.

Vit K2 enhances calcium absorption and keeps calcium from collecting on arterial walls. Calcium buildup can cause strokes and heartattacks. Women who are taking calcium supplements should be taking Vit D3 and Vit K2. Some better calcium supplements on the market have these to elements included.:wave:

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Vitamin D3 is an outstanding supplement for enhancing calcium absorption, along with Vit K, and ward off cancer.
True, both are needed for calcium absorption.

Preventing, or cancer-healing is another story.

Calcium buildup can cause strokes and heart-attacks.
Vit K2 keeps calcium from collecting on arterial walls.
Women who are taking calcium supplements should be taking Vit D3 and Vit K2.
Some better calcium supplements have these to elements included.:wave:
Bio-chemistry application is not this simple.

Vitamin D2 and D3 are not active in the body. Both forms must be processed (metabolized) by the liver
and kidneys into an active form called calcitriol. This active form promotes absorption of calcium and phosphorus from the intestine.
Calcium and phosphorus are incorporated into bones to make them strong and dense (a process called mineralization).

Calcium collects in the wrong places, for many reasons,
1. the body metabolizes "calcium-citrate"
(chelated) will aid in using this of largest molecules.
Supplementing with "calcium-Hydroxyapatite" (similar to what bone is made of), doesn't work as well.

2. Also, people need to ingest the rest of the mineral-complexes, both Major & trace factors,
inclg. Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron,
boron, chromium, copper, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, silica, vanadium, zinc, etc.
These are best also chelated, as amino-acid chelates.

3. Further, enough D-amounts are vital, meaning you need the right blood-levels Vitamin D-25 hydroxy:
00 to 20 is deficient
20 to 30 is insufficient
30 to 40 is hypovitaminosis
40 to 100 is adequate
Elderly women at risk for fractures, showed the best results (least number of fractures)
when the women's D-25-OH levels were greater than 80 nmol/L.

Dr. Michael Holick, an authority on vitamin D, suggests a healthy serum level of 75 to 125 nmol/L.

People at risk for bone fractures should make sure their levels are more than 80 nmol/L.

4. Adequate sun exposure can also raise levels: about 15 minutes 3 times a week,
between 11 am and 2 pm, to the extremities or back may be safe for most people.

5. Foods with vitamin D include fish (cod, salmon and tuna); eggs; and fortified foods.
However, the mercury in fish, limits how much fish someone should have.
So, get your vitamin D-25-OH level tested, and start taking D3 1000+ IU or more per day, and
discuss and monitor with your physician.

6. Weight-bearing exercise, like walking or jogging is excellent, more the better when you enjoy FUN! :clap:

7. As always enjoying a positive mental attitude, having a optimistic outlook, and being happy, impact health superbly! :thumbsup:

to your Happy :D Health!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2009
✟8,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I likey vitamin D3. I agree, it is good stuff. It lifts my mood, and in general lives up to its nick name of the sunshine vitamin. I supplement my diet with 6000ius of D3 a day as it takes that much for me to reach a testing level of 60 to 70 ng/ml.

I also take vitamins K2-4 and K2-7 each day.

Does anyone else follow the heart disease prevention program TrackYourPlaque by Dr William Davis? The doctor is always blogging about the benefits of these two vitamins/ hormones, plus others at his sight:

heartscanblog.blogspot.com

Upvote 0

serenedi

Jan 24, 2012
Texas
✟11,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I started taking D3 supp and it made my heart pound like crazy and my throat felt numb. That concerned me enough to immediately discontinue.
I let a few weeks pass. Then I tried something else... I now break open the gelcap and squeeze half into a smoothie. It's fine now. I guess the original dose was too much for me.

Upvote 0
D

Dairy

I've noticed several benefits since I began taking vitamin D3 and vitamin K2, but the one that has surprised me the most is that I stopped developing dental cavities. In the past no matter how much I brushed, used fluoride mouth wash, or had dental cleanings - I would schedule 4 in a year - I still developed a good amount of cavities.

Since taking 5000ius of D3 and some K2, and should mention along with avoiding wheat and other grains, the teeth have never been better.

I guess in the past some dentists discovered how D3, & K2 deficiency, and eating grains leads to dental cavities. Recall this article on Dr. Guyenet's sight about that:

"Dr. Mellanby's Tooth Decay Reversal Diet"

Whole Health Source: Dr. Mellanby's Tooth Decay Reversal Diet

snippet from his article:

..It was in that year that Dr. May Mellanby published a summary of the results of the Mellanby tooth decay reversal studies in the British Medical Journal, titled "Remarks on the Influence of a Cereal-free Diet Rich in Vitamin D and Calcium on Dental Caries in Children". Last year, I had to specially request this article from the basement of the University of Washington medical library (1). Thanks to the magic of the internet, the full version of the paper is now freely available online (2).

You don't need my help to read the study, but in this post I offer a little background, a summary and my interpretation.

In previous studies, the Mellanbys used dogs to define the dietary factors that influence tooth development and repair. They identified three, which together made the difference between excellent and poor dental health (from Nutrition and Disease):
The diet's mineral content, particularly calcium and phosphorus
The diet's fat-soluble vitamin content, chiefly vitamin D
The diet's content of inhibitors of mineral absorption, primarily phytic acid
Once they had defined these factors, they set about testing their hypotheses in humans. They performed eight trials, each one in children in an institutionalized setting where diet could be completely controlled. The number of cavities in each child's mouth was noted at the beginning and end of the period. I'll only discuss the three most informative, and only the most successful in detail. First, the results:

I'll start with diet 1. Children on this diet ate the typical fare, plus extra oatmeal. Oatmeal is typically eaten as an unsoaked whole grain (and soaking it isn't very effective in any case), and so it is high in phytic acid, which effectively inhibits the absorption of a number of minerals including calcium. These children formed 5.8 cavities each and healed virtually none-- not good!

Diet number 2 was similar to diet 1, except there was no extra oatmeal and the children received a large supplemental dose of vitamin D. Over 28 weeks, only 1 cavity per child developed or worsened, while 3.9 healed. Thus, simply adding vitamin D to a reasonable diet allowed most of their cavities to heal.

Diet number 3 was the most effective. This was a grain-free diet plus supplemental vitamin D. Over 26 weeks, children in this group saw an average of only 0.4 cavities form or worsen, while 4.7 healed. The Mellanbys considered that they had essentially found a cure for this disorder in its early stages.

What exactly was this diet? Here's how it was described in the paper (note: cereals = grains):..

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I started taking D3 supp
and it made my heart pound like crazy and my throat felt numb. That concerned me enough to immediately discontinue.
I let a few weeks pass. Then I tried something else... I now break open the gelcap and squeeze half into a smoothie. It's fine now.
I guess the original dose was too much for me.
The only way to know what your body has, and needs more of, is to have the blood-test done, mentioned in this post #4
So for D-3, you want to get your Vitamin D-25 hydroxy blood level tested.

Further, enough D-amounts are vital, meaning you need the right blood-levels Vitamin D-25 hydroxy:
up to 20 is deficient
20 to 30 is insufficient
30 to 40 is hypovitaminosis
40 to 100 is adequate
Elderly women at risk for fractures, showed the best results (least number of fractures)
when the women's D-25-OH levels were greater than 80 nmol/L.

Dr. Michael Holick, an authority on vitamin D, suggests a healthy serum level of 75 to 125 nmol/L.

After taking additional 5000 IU D3 daily for months,
my level was only 51 :doh: last year, so I needed to increase.

Upvote 0
May 25, 2012
Visit site
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i had a vitamin D deficiency this past year and it felt like chronic fatigue. i was exhausted beyond belief; too tired to lift my finger or have a conversation. i slept 16 hours at night and all during the day.
got my vitamin D 25-OH tested and was at 17, which is deficient and where health problems start. it takes a long time to raise levels, so it affected me much of the year.
low D also affects deep sleep--the nerve energy can't get re-plenished, thus my exhaustion. there are a variety of manifestations of low vitamin D...now i make sure to get out in the sunshine and take my D3 in the winter!
health101.org has great research articles, among them one on vitamin D and its role in cancer prevention. that is why i am aiming to keep my level in the 50-80 range. i am finally there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums