Visit your local synagogue to show solidarity against hate?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
CNN reports that there is a movement to get both Jews and non-Jews to visit their local synagogue this weekend to show solidarity against hate. What do you think? Should Christians feel free to visit their local synagogue or would it be wrong to do such?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I was head of Christian education at our church, I was also in charge of the adult Bible class. I arranged visits to services at a synagogue, a mosque and a Hindu temple. We all felt right at home in the synagogue. That not surprising because it was the Pharisees who designed the order of service in the synagogue and most of the earliest Christians were Jews who were very familiar with that environment.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians feel free to visit their local synagogue or would it be wrong to do such?
I think it a great idea, but wonder how it would work.
A lone Christian turns up on a Friday to support the jews. The synagogue stewards welcome him and thank him. Then what, does he sign the visitors book and leave or does he go and take part in the Friday preparation for sabeth worship?
Ditto if a group of Christians turn up.

Christians can visit synagogues, just as orthodox can visit protestant churches and vice versa.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's a nice gesture, but there are a lot more people and groups, etc. that are currently the targets of haters in this country. It's epidemic. So I would hope that anyone who decides to visit the synagogue doesn't get the idea that they have solved a big problem--or have taken on the challenge.

That might sound unnecessarily negative, but we have a way of making little gestures and thinking that we have made a difference...and then it's over and done with.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Waste of time.

Let the dead bury their dead. Go feed hungry people and witness, or go streetpreaching instead.

I'd say the same if it happened at a mosque or at Olsteen's church or any other whitewashed sepulchre.

Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it a great idea, but wonder how it would work.
A lone Christian turns up on a Friday to support the jews. The synagogue stewards welcome him and thank him. Then what, does he sign the visitors book and leave or does he go and take part in the Friday preparation for sabeth worship?
Ditto if a group of Christians turn up.

Christians can visit synagogues, just as orthodox can visit protestant churches and vice versa.

They will even provide you with a yarmulke at the door.

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it's a great idea. Showing compassion to our grieving neighbors is Christ like behavior. In fact we had a public event to meet at a local synagogue that following Monday evening after this last shooting announced by the local tv news channel.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul says he became all things to all people. This includes that Paul became a Jew to Jews > 1 Corinthians chapter nine. In the book of Acts, we can see that Christians would go to the Temple and to synagogue on the Sabbath. Paul used this to reach Jews; but also Gentiles were going to synagogue, if I remember and understand right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
CNN reports that there is a movement to get both Jews and non-Jews to visit their local synagogue this weekend to show solidarity against hate. What do you think? Should Christians feel free to visit their local synagogue or would it be wrong to do such?
Sure, anyone can visit.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I don't think it would be wrong to visit a Synagogue. After all, immediately after the resurrection and ascenscion, that's where we went until we were expelled by those who refused to accept Jesus as messiah.

I probably wouldn't visit a Reformed Synagogue for the same reason I wouldn't visit an Episcopal church, but otherwise sure.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to, certainly. But feel compelled or required to do so? Never.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Feel free to, certainly. But feel compelled or required to do so? Never.
The question in the OP was should Christians “feel free” to visit, not whether they should be compelled or expected to do so.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question in the OP was should Christians “feel free” to visit, not whether they should be compelled or expected to do so.
Uh..... even the concerns of the OP show that he felt it was something he should do.

Upvote 0